Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
It doesn't because that's about what it will cost me when mine's 15 years old, roll on 2023 when I make the last big payment lol.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes, it is.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
That's a real piss take, dude. I think you pay a lot more for insurance than we do in the UK though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is clear to me why I have encountered only one R8 on the road since the beginning of this year in my country.…. However Porsches everywhere: lower cc, hp en CO2 emission so much less tax. But I don't want an ordinary car and are extremely happy with my R8😊

·
Registered
33 Posts
Old thread but from recent trends, the Gen 1 R8 V8 and V10 have either bottomed out or very close to bottoming out. Obviously the gated manuals are worth a bit more. The truly "collectible" models will be the V10 Plus gated manual(super rare) and the V10 Competition. I think the GT model is highly collectible as well but that R-Tronic gearbox holds it back. Its a good time to buy a Gen 1 if its your cup of tea and plan on keeping it long term.
FourWheel Trader released a really good buyers guide video:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Old thread but from recent trends, the Gen 1 R8 V8 and V10 have either bottomed out or very close to bottoming out. Obviously the gated manuals are worth a bit more. The truly "collectible" models will be the V10 Plus gated manual(super rare) and the V10 Competition. I think the GT model is ihghly collectible as well but that R-Tronic gearbox holds it back. Its a good time to buy a Gen 1 if its your cup of tea and plan on keeping it long term.
FourWheel Trader released a really good buyers guide video:
What a coincidence, I actually watched that video yesterday!

As a GT owner who initially had concerns about the R-Tronic box, I have to say my fears were very quickly allayed after the first 20 minutes in my car. I will go so far as to say it actually suits the car’s character!

FYI I usually drive the car in Sport Mode, sometimes in automatic or manual depending on my driving mood. At normal speeds, the car feels very docile and is extremely well behaved. When the pace starts to pick up and the road becomes more interesting, the car becomes more like a race car and that’s where it shines. I installed a Quicksilver Titansport exhaust on my GT two months ago and the car now gets people’s attention before they even see my car.

My neighbours have started complaining about the exhaust and the crazy explosions it makes on cold starts but I’m not one to care!

In summary, the R-Tronic is actually a good transmission to use once you realise it’s a manual masquerading as an automatic! I have owned my car for over 10 months and not once has the R-Tronic transmission ruined the driving experience for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A gen 1 manual spider imo is the best looking best sounding (with the roof down) and best long term residual wise. I think in time this model of manual and large capacity normally aspirated engine will actually go up in value... With that thought in mind I boufht a red one 12 months ago with 15k miles on it so the proof will be in the pudding! 😜

·
Registered
18 Posts
I guess I meant most sensible.

No choice is really "sensible". Cars like this, especially for folks that can't buy one super comfortably, are just expensive toys to scratch an itch.

For that reason, buy one that best scratches that itch for you. If you don't, there will always be an itch you haven't reached and what you end up buying will always bug you a little.

If you've decided it's what you want, just go all out (within your budget) and get what will satisfy your desires.

My personal "itch" is : GEN1 is way better looking, and coup/v10/manual are all "must haves"... Deviating would have left me regretting and wanting more.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts