Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,I'm new to forum and just got my dream car ,audi r8 v10 ,2010 model,I'm looking at doing a oil change,can anyone tell me what oil to use

·
Registered
2,748 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Would castrol edge 50400 be ok,have read somewhere to use 50200
50400 is actually what Audi use for their longlife service schedule so is absolutely fine. Whoever told you 50200 is recommended should be shot - it's for diesel engines!! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that,the oil was supposed to have been changed just before I bought it ,I think I will change it just for pice of mind,

·
Registered
587 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Euro blend, 502/505 approved, 0w40. It has been my oil of choice for almost 10 years, and had less burning issues than with Mutol, Liquimoly, etc. I think Castrol is adequate at best. Really any approved oil is okay.

·
Registered
587 Posts
50400 is actually what Audi use for their longlife service schedule so is absolutely fine. Whoever told you 50200 is recommended should be shot - it's for diesel engines!! :)
He prob means 502/505 approved.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I thought the V10 oil is 50200 or 50400? oddly enough on the sticker on my hatch it lists 50400 first. That mean thats their recommended of the two? Gen 2 V10+

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use Mobil 1 Euro blend, 502/505 approved, 0w40. It has been my oil of choice for almost 10 years, and had less burning issues than with Mutol, Liquimoly, etc. I think Castrol is adequate at best. Really any approved oil is okay.
What he said!!! Mobil 1 Euro 0W40. Full SAPs (engine protection) and low NOACK (lower evaporation and thus theoretically lower intake valve deposits). Alternatives are Liqui-moly, Motul and Pennzoil Ultra Euro 0W40. Castrol meets the 502/505 VW spec but would be last on my list of the readily available full Synthetics.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Hopefully or else there will be some bad advice being given out.
Trev, 502 is a gasoline spec suitable for fixed interval changes I.e. not long life / flexible change intervals. 502 is mentioned in the owners handbook. All 502 oils I've seen marketed are also 505 approved which is the diesel spec.

504 is the petrol spec for long life.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Trev, 502 is a gasoline spec suitable for fixed interval changes I.e. not long life / flexible change intervals. 502 is mentioned in the owners handbook. All 502 oils I've seen marketed are also 505 approved which is the diesel spec.

504 is the petrol spec for long life.
Thanks for clearing that up, Steve.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mobil 1 0W40 is spec for my 2010 V10 R8. I started using it when I got her. I have used that same oil for years in my 5 series BMW and when it came time for me to replace the valve cover gasket at 100k miles- I didn't have all the carbon/sludge build up others have. My internals looked like new and the inside of the valve cover was clean. Many times people open the valve cover on these 6 cylinder cars and the underside is full of carbon/sludge. Also it is surprising low cost too - 23 bucks for a 5 quart jug at Walmart.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts