Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot a number of pix of two local V10's. Unfortunately, both are already sold units. Had the dealer run the Nav, but it's not clear to me that it is the full upgrade. Some features appear different than our V8, but the screen clarity seems the same. (???) :(

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Thanks Stu. The obvious change is the media button on the nav. system. This might indicate the change to the new unit.

Luck people to get the cars so early in the summer!

Steve

·
Registered
69 Posts
Any you guys seen Ti-Mike's latest post in the photos forum -- he's done a simple minor change to go from 525HP to 560HP with only air valve flaps changed.

What a beast ! Yeah ! :eek:

-- Munky

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Here are HARRISON's pics from Tucson.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Those are DEFINITELY NOT Harrisons' legs !! :) You do NOT want to see my Chicken limbs !! BUT this V10 sure was sweet looking . :) :) :)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I can try. My Cheapy camara is about maxed out, besides Patty does'nt want anyone to see her MOLES. :)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Has anyone who actually sat in a V10 been able to determine how much less legroom is in the V10 compared to the V8?
:confused::confused::confused:

should it be different? did they move the firewall? if so, surely they took it out of the parcel shelf, no?:confused:

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
The Audi reps told me in the Detroit Auto Show that the interior dimensions are the same. However, in the published dimensional drawings I have, there is 11mm less headroom in the V10. They do not list legroom, but the seat and front of the engine is shown a little more forward in the V10 drawings. I suspect the legroom is a little less, and they don't want to draw attention to it. Perhaps someone with access to both can fill us in.

As far as I am concerned, they should put a 650bhp v12 in the next one, even if it means my face will be crammed against the windshield. =)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The G-forces on acceleration would keep your face from touching . :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sat in them and felt no difference vs. the V8. Didn't measure or test all positions of the seat, but the interior felt the same all the way around. Peddle placement, wheel and shifter all seemed the same too. Other than the few V10 logo's and red trim, the interior appeared identical to the V8.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
How much longer is the V10 powerplant ?? :cool:

·
Registered
718 Posts
There is no difference in internal dimensions of the car.

The V10 simply takes up the space at the end of the V8 block in the engine compartment.

One thing I have noticed in the past month or so, is that the track across the tyres is 1-2 inches wider than the V8.

It may not sound much, but you sure notice it when you drive in a narrow space, like the Channel Tunnel - only 3 inches to spare either side of the car (at tyre level) !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
There is no difference in internal dimensions of the car.

The V10 simply takes up the space at the end of the V8 block in the engine compartment.

One thing I have noticed in the past month or so, is that the track across the tyres is 1-2 inches wider than the V8.

It may not sound much, but you sure notice it when you drive in a narrow space, like the Channel Tunnel - only 3 inches to spare either side of the car (at tyre level) !!!!
And you have to drive in that narrow a space for how long?!!
Must be nerve wracking when you've got $1200 wheels you're trying to keep off the curbs!!

Are you observing a couple of inches increase in TRACK without any widening of the body in the fender area? If so, that surprises me, because eye-balling the R8 v8, it doesn't look like there's enough room to do that!

Has a detailed set of SPECS for the 5.2 been published? Either numbers or the dimensional diagram like they have on the web site or in the brouchure?

PS: the published dimensions of the v8 have the REAR track @ 1.5" LESS than the FRONT (62.8" vs. 64.3"). Do you suppose perhaps they just squared her up a bit, bringing the rear track up equal to the front? The front fenders are the ones I'd wonder needed a flare if they widened the front track. Remember the old Jaguar saloons (eg.: 3.4) that had a rear track radically less than the front, so they looked like a crab going down the road! I believe they were susceptible to nasty oversteer in the wet, and perhaps that's what killed the great Mike Hawthorne in a road accident.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
And you have to drive in that narrow a space for how long?!!
Must be nerve wracking when you've got $1200 wheels you're trying to keep off the curbs!!

Are you observing a couple of inches increase in TRACK without any widening of the body in the fender area? If so, that surprises me, because eye-balling the R8 v8, it doesn't look like there's enough room to do that!

Has a detailed set of SPECS for the 5.2 been published? Either numbers or the dimensional diagram like they have on the web site or in the brouchure?

P.

If you go to the Audi UK website (http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/r8.html) you can link to a brochure for the R8 in which the dimensions of the V8 and V10 models are shown on pages 37 and 38. There are very small differences in some dimensions: eg 4mm wider track at the front but same track at the rear ....nothing like "a couple of inches".

I had a good look at the V10 in the Audi Forum at Munich airport and did not have the impression that the body work was any different from that of my V8. The new diffuser is very nice!

BTW ... in the Channel Tunnel the cars travel in a roll-on/roll-off train so I expect that the narrow space is only a problem while driving on and off and not during the journey

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
If you do look at that PDF, there is a 26 mm difference (1904 to 1930) in the width of body of the car, due to the sideblades. That dimension is still smaller than the total width with the mirrors, which is the same on both models. It is interesting that the front end of the V10 is 4mm longer on the V10, maybe the new grill or bottom lip. They also list the V10 as 3 MM taller, which I would expect the opposite due to the weight difference. All the differences are pretty small and maybe most of the differences are errors in measuring.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
........ They also list the V10 as 3 MM taller, which I would expect the opposite due to the weight difference. All the differences are pretty small and maybe most of the differences are errors in measuring.
According to my favorite wheel & tire analyzer...
http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

305/30-19's on 11.0" wheels are 6 mm larger in overall diam. than 295/30's on the same wheel.

Since the STANDARD spec for the v8 is with 295's, and the v10 I believe
is 305's, that could explain SOME of the height right there (3mm at the rear).

Now, it's POSSIBLE that the STANDARD R8 specs were collected based on the 18" wheels that were, at original production....some of the UK cars....that standard wheel. So maybe THAT is the basis for the height difference.

I doubt those numbers come off measuring actual cars. I think those drawings with dimensions probably come right off the CAD/CAM system and what they tell you is "as designed," not "as built." In this day and age those two should not differ by more than a few mm, which is all we're talking here, so no way to know for sure.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts