Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So unfortunately (or maybe fortunately given my experience of ownership thus far) I was in an accident a couple weeks ago that damaged the front end of my R8. I just got the estimate from the collision center today and it seems as though the car will be totaled with about $43k in damages.

Assuming that was going to be the case, I’ve been thinking about what I would want to replace it with. The timing isn’t so bad as prices have been declining for the past few months. My top choices right now are either a manual Gen 1 V10 R8 or a 991 (probably .1) GT3.

I’ve read a few other existing threads about the same or similar topic but wanted to get some up to date insight. Right now they seem fairly equal in price (I may be able to find an R8 for a bit lower cost).

I’m trying not to have the overarching negative experience I had with my current R8 impact my decision too much. I did really enjoy driving it when I was able to, but there’s a bit of “the grass may be greener” when considering a GT3.

I know this might be a rather biased place to get such an opinion but would still like to hear from those have owned or driven both.

· Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm interested in what you choose... Have you driven the GT3? What about the Porsche Turbo? What about a Huracan? Ferrari 458, or 488? I'm always considering other rides myself.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d love a 458 but it’s a little beyond my budget sadly. I haven’t driven a GT3 (probably would be a good place to start) although I also hadn’t driven an R8 before I bought one either. I’ve been putting off going to PECLA for fear it would ruin any other car for me.

I would primarily use it as a weekend car. What I like about the 911 is it’s somewhat more usable (although maybe not a GT3 specifically) if we ever want to go on a longer trip since it has backseat space for us and our small dog making it slightly more practical in that sense compared to the R8. I had also considered a 991 (or now a 992) Carrera T before buying my current R8.

My concern with a GT3 is I live in LA which is 911 Mecca. There’s something nice about the uniqueness of being the only or maybe one of 2-3 R8s when showing up at a meet or event vs. being one of dozens of 911s. Also, the lack of a manual on 991.1s is a negative as well.

· Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
320 Posts
@P3DAL And also keep in mind the 991.1 engine issue. Porsche provided 10 year warranty for these engines which will be ending in 2 to 3 years. If you get a chance, go for the 991.2 GT3.

I had the experience to drive both GT3 and Turbo S back to back and I created this thread to compare them against R8. It may not be fully relevant as the comparison is for most recent gens but you may find it useful.

I agree with you on the uniqueness of R8. I live in So Cal. I see tons of 911s and usually spot more GT3s and Turbo S than R8s.

· Registered
12 Posts
We are fortunate to have a 911.2 GT3 RS and a 458 in the family. and my new to me R8.

I would say start by driving them. That will tell you straight away if the car is still in contention or if its not for you.
Having said that, I absolutely LOVE the RS. Its an gem to drive. It sounds incredible, it handles brilliantly, and
it just has that aggressive factor. its lizard green, so it definitely still has that super car feel as it turns heads like nobody' business. Its got no off switch though. Its always ready to pounce, and its a hard ride, make no mistake, its going to be tough to do long trips.

The R8 is a different car completely. From my short expertise with her ( only had her 2 weeks now ) I like to call it Dr jekyll and Mr hyde. If you want, you can have it in comfort mode and just cruise around. you would think you are in an A4, its soft, quiet, and tame. but put the car in individual, and you awaken a beast.

the 458 as you said, is out of budget, but to be honest, its the car i would pick last to go for a drive out of the three. Its absolutly epic, and nothing wrong in anyway, im just not a ferrari man myself!

In saying all of this. Spend some seat time in them, that's the only way you are going to make up your mind.

· Registered
205 Posts
The appeal of the R8 to me was if I am just going somewhere put it in auto in comfort and like driving any mainstream Audi, if you are up for it then manual performance mode and have a ball.
Any GT Porsche like Lambos are cars for when you are in the mood.

All about the use case, my R8 is 100% a road car and mostly use as a normal car but with a secret smirk should i change persona.
There is also something about a grey ahem silver 50yr old like me driving a car with an enormous wing to the shops.

· Registered
544 Posts
My take:

The GT3 seems like a really exciting car, definitely made more for the track. Everybody seems to have a reverence for it.

I did not own a GT3 but I owned a 992 Carrera S for a while. I know, big difference--but what I can say is that the steering feedback from Porsche's is definitely more engaging than from our R8, and I'm sure that with the GT3 it's even more so. The R8 may handle like its on rails, but you don't get much feedback into your hands, and that prevents me from wanting to pushing things when I'm on turns. The Porsche was much better in that way.

Having said all that, I still think that the R8 is a more special car, even than the GT3. The GT3 is still just "another" 911, and you see millions of those on the roads. Most people won't even know the difference between a Carrera, a Turbo, or a GT3. And to me, that's a problem, because I like my car to feel special, like an event. And every time I drive the R8 it's an event. Not only because of its looks, but that irreplaceable V10 engine. I would stick with the R8

· Registered
1,384 Posts
We are fortunate to have a GT3 RS and a 458 in the family. and my new to me R8.
The R8 is a different car completely. From my short expertise with her ( only had her 2 weeks now ) I like to call it Dr jekyll and Mr hyde. If you want, you can have it in comfort mode and just cruise around. you would think you are in an A4, its soft, quiet, and tame. but put the car in individual, and you awaken a beast.
Couldn't agree with you more... I love the Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde aspect of the R8.

· Registered
1,384 Posts
@P3DAL And also keep in mind the 991.1 engine issue. Porsche provided 10 year warranty for these engines which will be ending in 2 to 3 years. If you get a chance, go for the 991.2 GT3.

I had the experience to drive both GT3 and Turbo S back to back and I created this thread to compare them against R8. It may not be fully relevant as the comparison is for most recent gens but you may find it useful.

I agree with you on the uniqueness of R8. I live in So Cal. I see tons of 911s and usually spot more GT3s and Turbo S than R8s.
Excellent comparison. I also live in So. Cal, San Diego - and there are so many Porsches they are literally as many as Toyota Tacomas (and there are a lot out here).... So R8 get's the wow factor, especially at gas station fill ups. And the rear end of the R8 is so wide (I love that part) however, I feel the Porsche Turbo is also nice and wide. In the end, I'd rather just buy one at a time until I have them like shoes! ha hah a hha

1- I'd like my R8 V8 (I'm goign to be twin turob'ing it myself as I am a fabricator and tuner - hobby level, but good)
2. Huracan (Audi reliability, supercar flashy)
3. Ferrari 488 - just love the looks
4. Porsche Turbo - just love all the reviews I read about them. (not a GT3 because I'll never track it).
5. Aston Martin Vantage - James Bond mobile... ha haha a I like how it looks too.

Reactions: P3DAL

· Premium Member
6,111 Posts
How about both - R8 LMS GT3? :)

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Hood

All kidding aside, I'd always say "R8" here.

I think the GT3 is a fantastic vehicle, but I'm not as inspired by the shape of a 911, nor does it have that sweet NA V10. As others have said, the R8 is also just a fantastic car to use on the road, with dual personalities if you like/need. If I had the unfortunate situation of needing to replace mine, I'd maybe consider a Gen-1 V10+ - but finding a manual one, if that's what you prefer, would be really difficult (and expensive). If I left the R8, perhaps it would be for a Huracan - just to experience the same lovely platform but under some new skin.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses so far!

As many have said, I really need to start by driving them and seeing if there are any standouts for me. In the past I’ve usually purchased cars off of “I think I’ll like that” rather than actually experiencing it beforehand. It hasn’t worked out too bad so far but that’s probably not the best way to make this type of purchase, especially since I’m relatively undecided.

And funny someone mentioned a Vantage. I was actually looking at older 2007ish V8 examples for sale in the area. They seem like a great value (around $40-50k) and I appreciate they also come in manual. I previously had a 2015 F-Type R and it seems like it would be a similar experience.

That’s another route I’ve been considering as well is using my budget towards two cars instead of one — something like a Vantage for a GT experience along with something sportier like a more affordable, older 911 or maybe a GT350.

There’s also still the chance I could buy back my R8 depending on how things work out. As someone else mentioned, I’ve considered the idea of doing an LMS-style rebuild since the front end needs to be replaced anyways.

There are just too many great cars and I don’t have enough resources to have them all 😂

· Registered
751 Posts
GT3s are great dual purpose cars, both for the street and track. The 991s are very usable, and sounds amazing in the higher revs. Pretty much a race car engine for the street, even though the audi v10 sounds so distinct and iconic I say it's a toss-up between both engines. Having owned several GT3s and RS, I can def tell you to steer away from the 991.1 because the engine warranties are about to run out on most of them. Many people just buy them and track the hell of them, pile the miles up, hope that the engine explodes and get the newer G engines from porsche for free and move on before warranty expires. Many argue their cars are fine and it's a hit and miss, but it's proven some cars are on their 4th or even 5th engines. Even if you want to roll the dice and see if a 30k engine bill will come to you, you will still end up with weak resale due to these concerns the longer you own it, not to mention a good % of these cars are abused and tracked (thanks to the 10 yr warranty from porsche) making the search for one harder, plus other potential issues such as pdk failures and high maintenance items like dynamic engine mounts etc. You cant go wrong with a gt3, either in performance, reliability or their ability to hold values thanks to 70 years of porsche cult, but I would fork out for a 991.2 over the .1 on that alone. Hopefully with the weakening prices you will be able to get them in the lower or mid 100s soon.
I had the .1 and find the ride too overly harsh on the street. The .2 is better improved in road manners, and comes with goodies like backup cam, apple carplay and bose speakers which makes it even more practical than the .1, the 4.0 also makes street driving more fun and you dont need to rev it as hard to hear it.
With that said, a gated r8 with some sort of warranty is hard to beat in terms of supercar looks, performance, sound and value, especially the v10s are getting phased out on both audi/lambo so r8 might get more sought after as time goes on (honestly, i have yet to hear a v8 twin turbo / supercharged that sounds better than a v10)

· Registered
830 Posts
I had a 2007 V8 Vantage manual. They are cool cars but heavy for their size (same weight as a GEN 1 R8 V10 manual) despite being down 2 cylinders and 2 drive wheels.

They look great and handle well but are kinda lethargic unless you mod them, definitely a GT car but has typical British build quality when it comes to things like electrics

· Premium Member
6,111 Posts
I had a 2007 V8 Vantage manual. They are cool cars but heavy for their size (same weight as a GEN 1 R8 V10 manual) despite being down 2 cylinders and 2 drive wheels.

They look great and handle well but are kinda lethargic unless you mod them, definitely a GT car but has typical British build quality when it comes to things like electrics
I've always liked the looks of that generation Vantage - particularly the V12 S but minus the silly hood vents.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
I was watching that GT3 RS in Irvine on BaT @dinkman . I was surprised it didn’t sell.
more bat gt3 auctions have ended in reserve not met than i've ever seen before... people arent willing to pay and sellers arent willing to lower their expectations as much as needed.
the lava orange gt3 that sold last week went for $171... that owner paid $215k for it last year!

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also re: the engine issue on the GT3, I’m not as concerned about it especially if I can get a .1 for $40-50k less than a .2. If I were to buy a Gen 1 V10 that would have no warranty remaining and unless it was a 2012 wouldn’t have an option to add an extended warranty. I realize R8 engines don’t have the same issue but having any kind of warranty on the GT3 is more peace of mind than nothing.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts