Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
I’d love a 458 but it’s a little beyond my budget sadly. I haven’t driven a GT3 (probably would be a good place to start) although I also hadn’t driven an R8 before I bought one either. I’ve been putting off going to PECLA for fear it would ruin any other car for me.

I would primarily use it as a weekend car. What I like about the 911 is it’s somewhat more usable (although maybe not a GT3 specifically) if we ever want to go on a longer trip since it has backseat space for us and our small dog making it slightly more practical in that sense compared to the R8. I had also considered a 991 (or now a 992) Carrera T before buying my current R8.

My concern with a GT3 is I live in LA which is 911 Mecca. There’s something nice about the uniqueness of being the only or maybe one of 2-3 R8s when showing up at a meet or event vs. being one of dozens of 911s. Also, the lack of a manual on 991.1s is a negative as well.
Maybe consider other variations of the 911 if a backseat moves towards a must have since GT3s are void of a backseat.

Coming from a 991.1 (GT3 and RS) and now a 991.2 Touring; I would recommend the .2 variant if you're considering long term ownership.

Additionally, Rennlist is a great forum of enthusiasts and a solid starting point to learn more about all the various versions!

· Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I've got both a 991.1 GT3RS, and a Gen 1 R8 V10. Both completely different cars. They feel and drive very differently. And both are amazing and keeper cars for me.

Love the LWBS. So I'd say this. Go drive the GT3. Make sure it's spec'd the way you want it.
If it's just a weekend car, you may want the LWBS. If you want it for longer trips, you may want the Sofas. There are no backseats in any GT3 model. But you could go for a GTS or Turbo if that's what you're after.

Obviously there are no back seats in the R8.

After you test drive the Porsche, if you like it, make your decision on what you'll use it most for.

Just my 0.02

· Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Also re: the engine issue on the GT3, I’m not as concerned about it especially if I can get a .1 for $40-50k less than a .2. If I were to buy a Gen 1 V10 that would have no warranty remaining and unless it was a 2012 wouldn’t have an option to add an extended warranty. I realize R8 engines don’t have the same issue but having any kind of warranty on the GT3 is more peace of mind than nothing.
I personally would steer clear of any 991.1 GT3 with the 3.8L with any of the E/F engine codes.
Yes, they have the 10 year extended engine warranty, but what happens after that? Those cars will never be keeper cars unless you get one that Porsche has swapped a bad engine with a G serial or later. It's not just the finger follower wear issue The freaking engines are catching fire.

If you're going with a GT3, go at least 991.2. If not jump to the RS. The 4.0 is bulletproof.

· Registered
2,717 Posts
I personally would steer clear of any 991.1 GT3 with the 3.8L with any of the E/F engine codes.
Yes, they have the 10 year extended engine warranty, but what happens after that? Those cars will never be keeper cars unless you get one that Porsche has swapped a bad engine with a G serial or later. It's not just the finger follower wear issue The freaking engines are catching fire.

If you're going with a GT3, go at least 991.2. If not jump to the RS. The 4.0 is bulletproof.
i think thats the key point. 991.1's are a steal right now, even the ones with non-defective swapped motor cars. i just wish they werent all pdk. i do agree 991.2 is the sweet spot in terms of value but they're still ~50k more than a typical gated v10 which makes sense there's 5-8 years between them

· Registered
71 Posts
I currently own a V10 Manual with tune/exhaust also a 997.1 GT3 and a 992.1 GT3 (manual)

To me the choice is very simple, if you’re comparing it to a 991.1 I think the choice is extremely easy…… The R8. That was my choice when cross shopping 5 years ago. It was a no brainer. Pulled hardwr With the mods, looks far better and wow factor, and more excitement for exhaust note with an exhaust (not stock). The 991.1 is a car i simply would not want to own. 991.2 is superior and would change this discussion but far too overpriced at the moment.

That being said for spirited drives the 997.1 GT3 is far superior for pure excitement.These cars are worth every Penny. If I had to sell one, it would be the R8. But they are polar opposite cars so the best case scenario is both!! The 992 is altogether a different animal, but I still prefer the 997.1 for pure joy over any of them. The 991.1 is my least favourite GT3 and would much rather a 991 Turbo Vs your R8 for city use, extreme ease of use and speed.

My money, I would cross shop a 991 Turbo, (991.2 preferred) for city use and occasional spirited drives. If it’s only for wow factor and pure driver nirvana, 997.1 is the easiest choice anyone can make.

· Premium Member
1,164 Posts
I get the want for a manual here. At least the GT3 range has that option for you where the RS doesn't.

My R8 is a manual, so I went with the RS and the PDK with the Porsche. So I'd have one if each type to drive.

If you don't want to go the route of the .2 you may jump into a 997 manual. Although they're fetching premiums in today's market as well.
Honestly anything in manual will.

You could stroll into your local Porsche dealer and ask to buy a 992 GT3 manual, if they had any on the lot to test drive, and work a same-day deal for below MSRP. Obviously this paragraph had the sarcasm filter on it.

Reactions: P3DAL

· Premium Member
14 R8 V8
391 Posts
GT3's = Great for track and showing off, great canyon carver, bearable as daily driver
R8 = well you already know.
Since you've already had a R8, try a GT3. Then try something else when the opportunity arises.
Have fun.

· Registered
2015 V10 Plus Manual Suzuka and 2010 V10 Manual Suzuka
5 Posts
So unfortunately (or maybe fortunately given my experience of ownership thus far) I was in an accident a couple weeks ago that damaged the front end of my R8. I just got the estimate from the collision center today and it seems as though the car will be totaled with about $43k in damages.

Assuming that was going to be the case, I’ve been thinking about what I would want to replace it with. The timing isn’t so bad as prices have been declining for the past few months. My top choices right now are either a manual Gen 1 V10 R8 or a 991 (probably .1) GT3.

I’ve read a few other existing threads about the same or similar topic but wanted to get some up to date insight. Right now they seem fairly equal in price (I may be able to find an R8 for a bit lower cost).

I’m trying not to have the overarching negative experience I had with my current R8 impact my decision too much. I did really enjoy driving it when I was able to, but there’s a bit of “the grass may be greener” when considering a GT3.

I know this might be a rather biased place to get such an opinion but would still like to hear from those have owned or driven both.
I own a gen 1 v10 plus manual and a 991.2 gt3 touring. If u go the gt3 route, I strongly suggest the .2 over the .1

· Registered
603 Posts
V10+ manual and 991.2 3RS here and the RS would be sold first in a heartbeat because I don’t track it. R8 on the street is way more emotional. You can read my past posts for more details regarding this comparison. They are both smart, conservative picks, so don’t be afraid to pull the trigger either way. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So to throw everyone a curve ball and veer completely away from my original comparison — I may be getting a V8 Vantage as a second car and buy back my original R8 to be rebuilt.

I’ve always loved the Vantage and owned two of its cousins previously, a F-Type S and R.

Ultimately it comes down to overall driving experience for me. And that’s not to say the GT3 isn’t an amazing driving experience, but some others I’ve talked to said it’s almost too good where it becomes boring if that makes sense. I like cars that are engaging, hence why I almost exclusively buy manual transmission.

My thinking is if I could have my R8 and a V8 Vantage for a good amount under a GT3, especially the price of a 991.2, I think I’d personally be happier with that. A more GT-style cruiser that can still wring out fun in the canyons with the Vantage and a more performance-oriented R8 that is still comfortable enough to daily drive.

· Registered
830 Posts
nice, good choice. I do regret selling mine but I had to take advantage of the inflated values. But then again I put the profits into equities which tanked since then so easy come easy go

Get the 2009+ facelift models with the 4.7L if you can. Must have mods include coilovers, HFCs, and a tune. VelocityAP can sort you out but if you want a more cost effective option, the gents at Top Gear across the pond are an alternative option for the exhaust and tune.

Lightweight twin plate flywheel and clutch kits also a good mod but not cheap.

Car Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
This is the one I’m looking at. Been talking to the current owner and even the previous owner. Seems like it’s been well cared for and has the right updates/mods for the price vs. $10-15k more for the 4.7:

· Registered
830 Posts
looks like a good option, go to astonmartinbits.com to get some nice OEM upgrades like the GTS matte black side sills (to replace the scuffed up ones).

No NAV is actually a plus since it was obsolete when new and the mechanism for it to go up and down usually wears out and it gets stuck

also go to ebay to get the silver metal aluminum radio knobs. for bluetooth get the mr12volt module since it uses volvo headunit underneath

· Premium Member
6,111 Posts
This is the one I’m looking at. Been talking to the current owner and even the previous owner. Seems like it’s been well cared for and has the right updates/mods for the price vs. $10-15k more for the 4.7:

Incredible how affordable these have become over time.

I've always been a fan of the looks - they messed it up with the new Vantage. It's a nice, understated GT - but it's eye catching when you see one.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
For sure — the values seem very stable. They haven’t dipped too low or increased significantly over the past few years. I think the combination of a front engine GT car like the Vantage along with the mid-engine performance of the R8 will be a nice combination.

Neither is the fastest car in the world but I think both offer enough performance for the streets while being an engaging driving experience.

· Premium Member
6,111 Posts
For sure — the values seem very stable. They haven’t dipped too low or increased significantly over the past few years. I think the combination of a front engine GT car like the Vantage along with the mid-engine performance of the R8 will be a nice combination.

Neither is the fastest car in the world but I think both offer enough performance for the streets while being an engaging driving experience.
Agreed - it's a nice combination and gives you a good mix... both very stylish, too. I think that's one heck of a good deal for the Vantage.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts