Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new here because I finally decided an R8 5.2 over a Gallardo. Went to Audi's website today and found that the only transmission available with the V-10 is the R-tronic? I am seriously hoping that this is an error on the website...anyone know for sure? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
All R8's are available in 6-Speed Manual and R-Tronic transmissions. Both use a manual gearbox, Manual is just a standard manual, R-Tronic has no clutch and the computer changes the gears for you after you, use the paddles on the steering wheel or the stick. R-Tronic also has an automatic mode but this is meant to be jerky so most people use the sequential mode so they have control.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Congratulations on your choice.

Yes, the V10 is available in manual; at least four of us on the site have taken delivery of 5.2 V10's.

I believe the majority of R8 sales (both V8 & V10) worldwide have been manuals.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I think the majority in America have been R-Tronic but the majority in Europe have been Manual, but i could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
It's a problem with the Audi website. They just got the configurator working for the V10 and it lists the wrong description (as the 4.2 V8 but the price is listed correctly though) for the manual transmission option.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
The R-tronic is available for the V10 and it is quite good. I place it in the category of my M6 SMG when both are turned to their highest shift rates.

The manual is great if you want it. It's is definitely one of the 2 choices for the base V10!!!!

BUT I wouldn't go back to a manual clutch again......I had it on my '91 NSX from 1991-2004 when I sold my car!!!!!

This car is the next generation NSX. If you are an NSX lover, you will love the R8. I have the V10 and it gives me what the NSX lacked. So much power and still the perfect balance of an everyday driver!

Go for it!

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
That's probably true, but Audi told me that against initial expectations, they are selling more manuals than R-Tronic worldwide.
Audi can reverse that sales trend if they replace the Tiptronic & R-Tronics with the S-Tronic double clutch - like Porsche has done with the PDK. Audi is still using Tiptronic & R-Tronic in the 2010 V8 & V10 cars, which leads me to believe they are having problems with the additional V8 & V10 power/torque. I would have ordered the S-tonic had it been available.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
wasn't it down to the packaging of the dual clutch transmission that was causing the problems rather than the power?

in real money terms, although dsg is better than a single clutch, outside of auto mode I'm struggling to see why someone would want dsg but not have r-tronic. Even the single clutch r-tronic shifts faster, more accurately and easier than a human can - so what makes dsg a yay and r-tronic a nay? Do people still think r-tronic is like tiptronic on the porsches or is it bragging rights to the latest tech?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
wasn't it down to the packaging of the dual clutch transmission that was causing the problems rather than the power?
Dunno..

in real money terms, although dsg is better than a single clutch, outside of auto mode I'm struggling to see why someone would want dsg but not have r-tronic. Even the single clutch r-tronic shifts faster, more accurately and easier than a human can - so what makes dsg a yay and r-tronic a nay? Do people still think r-tronic is like tiptronic on the porsches or is it bragging rights to the latest tech?
This is a discussion not unlike the V8/V10 thread. Many believe the V10 is what SHOULD have been in the car all along.

The R-Tronic in the R8 was soundly flogged when introduced in 2007. You can page through the archives and read one after another. The automatic mode reportedly sucked (uncommanded shifts, mind of it's own?, needed to be driven "aggressively" in the automatic mode) and let's face it, this is the mode most daily drivers are going to be in in major metropolitan US cities. I don't think Audi ever recovered from that beating. Let's hope the S-tronic is as capable as the PDK. In fact, now that the players have traded places with VW on top, will we see a PDK in the R8?

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
The R-tronic single clutch transmission is used in the R8 because there is not enough room for the dual-clutch S-tronic. It has nothing to do with power/torque.

The R-tronic is NOT anything like a "Tiptronic". The R-tronic uses the same dry clutch as the manual transmission .... it is the actuation of the clutch which differs (operated by the drivers foot in one case and by an electro-hydraulic mechanism in the other). The Tiptronic uses a torque-converter just like most automatic transmissions but it has a mode which allows driver input to over-ride the computer selected shift points.

Here are a couple of useful references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrohydraulic_manual_transmission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiptronic

Having driven both manual and R-tronic R8's and owning the former on my A4 and the latter on my R8, I have come to the opinion that both are fine transmissions and that most people who complain about the R-tronic are really looking for the behavior of an automatic transmission with a torque converter! In the past I owned a MB AMG SLK which had a Tiptronic-equivalent gear box ....I didn't like it at all but there was no manual transmission option.

As for driving the R-tronic in its auto mode: I rarely use it so I cannot comment. I am not sure that "this is the mode most daily drivers are going to be in in major metropolitan US cities" unless they have their hands off the wheel and cannot reach the paddles!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
The R-tronic single clutch transmission is used in the R8 because there is not enough room for the dual-clutch S-tronic. It has nothing to do with power/torque.

The R-tronic is NOT anything like a "Tiptronic". The R-tronic uses the same dry clutch as the manual transmission .... it is the actuation of the clutch which differs (operated by the drivers foot in one case and by an electro-hydraulic mechanism in the other). The Tiptronic uses a torque-converter just like most automatic transmissions but it has a mode which allows driver input to over-ride the computer selected shift points.

Having driven both manual and R-tronic R8's and owning the former on my A4 and the latter on my R8, I have come to the opinion that both are fine transmissions and that most people who complain about the R-tronic are really looking for the behavior of an automatic transmission with a torque converter! In the past I owned a MB AMG SLK which had a Tiptronic-equivalent gear box ....I didn't like it at all but there was no manual transmission option.

As for driving the R-tronic in its auto mode: I rarely use it so I cannot comment. I am not sure that "this is the mode most daily drivers are going to be in in major metropolitan US cities" unless they have their hands off the wheel and cannot reach the paddles!
I strongly agree with everything swansailor says here...especially the last sentence! I love the R-tronic!

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
The only car Audi is offering the S tronic in is the TTS. How about the S4, S5, S6, A8, Q7? All Tiptronic and all with more room than the TTS & R8.

I had a 2004 S4 Tiptronic, am very familiar with it and know about the R tronic's technology, thanks. I would not have another Tiptronic. It's fine in the automatic mode but very slow in the sport/maual mode.

Yeah, I've ridden in HARRISON's jet. The R tronic is a much better than the Tip but it's old school now. Porsche has done an exemplary job rolling out the PDK. Audi is NEVER first to do anything (in production). They might need to re-engineer a few things but the entire 2011 S Line will probably be S tronic.

I don't know about traffic in Portland but after a recent trip through the LA basin, I would have been happy with either automatic. If I sill lived there, I would probably own one.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
The automatic mode reportedly sucked (uncommanded shifts, mind of it's own?, needed to be driven "aggressively" in the automatic mode) and let's face it, this is the mode most daily drivers are going to be in in major metropolitan US cities.
I have come to the opinion that both are fine transmissions and that most people who complain about the R-tronic are really looking for the behavior of an automatic transmission with a torque converter! I
exactly - the r-tronic is really a manual that you change gears via paddles/stick. virtually all of the reviews I've read about r-tronic were talking about it in manual mode as though they were expecting it to be torque-converter smooth in that mode. the r-tronic is all about when you are driving the car as it was intended - quickly.

still not seen a real reason why someone would actively want dsg but shun r-tronic - r-tronic might be older tech then dsg but it's still closer to dsg than a manual.

I still believe a lot of the negativity in general comes from assumption and misleading reviews.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I still believe a lot of the negativity in general comes from assumption and misleading reviews.

Amen to that! I feel that when the '06 M6 came out and the SMG was bashed by critics, it was a lack of THEIR spending enough time learning the system and tuning it to the way they wanted it to function before they bashed it.

I have my tuned for me and I love it.

The R8 has a lot less choice for tuning, but with it in sport mode and with the mag ride on sport, the V10 feels and drive great. Lot's of power and smooth shifting. Sure you can jump the gun a bit and make it feel a bit jerky out of the gate in 1st.....but no worst than I did with my manual NSX yrs ago...so use it, learn it and love it! :)

This car is not a GT....it's a true super car and should feel like one, in my opinion!!!!!

Steve

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Picking up my V10 tomorrow. Manual Trans.
Enjoy it......and congratulations. The people who like the clickity-clack of the manual say it's great......so have fun!

Steve :)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Even if the R-tronik were half as fast in shifting, it would still be faster than manual. :)

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
In straight line and track, or just track?
I have driven manual transmissions all my (long) life. I still drive one by choice for daily driving. My R8 is R-tronic .... with the manual, I could not match the speed of the R-tronic gear changes under any conditions.

Of course, speed of the gear changes may not be the only criterion for "enjoying" driving the R8. I really liked the manual when I drove it BUT there is nothing "wrong" with the R-tronic and, for track use, I think it is superior in every way ...which is probably why F1 and Indy cars use sequential manual gear boxes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts