Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why the 10 spoke Y design V10 wheel is only available with 295 rears rather than the 305 which is available with the 5 spoke design? Are the two wheels different widths?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I am not sure but I bet they are the same width.It has been said that the WIDER rear tyre weould cause understeer quicker,That ideally the front should be wider,to hold off understeer a little longer. Sure is a good question though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The 295s are just a more common rear size. Here in the US and according the UK site, if you order the plain wheel you get the 295. If you order the polished or the titanium colored wheel (which are all the same size) you get the 305 in the rear. I have not seen the 2010 specs for the US yet, the UK site says the V10 rear rim is 11" wide, the same as all the other rims.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Replaced my rears with 305 P Zero last month on the standard 5 spoke.On the road I feel little difference apart from a slight increase in rear grip.Car stills turns into a corner the same and have found no increase in front end push but then haven,t really had the chance to push hard.I am going out on the track again in a few weeks so will see what happens to my lap times.

Must say for back end appearance ...they look the business.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Yes ,that was the first thing i noticed about R84ME's '09 R8 the MEANNESS of his wide rear.:):rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Whichever rim you think looks better. I personally do not like the new rim for the V10. It is too busy for my taste. You can always change tire sizes later or even change rims in the future.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Can you get the new V 10 wheel in full polished? With the 305 ?? If so get it cuz you'd be very different. I don't think I've seen that one yet.Otherwise the V8 polished with the 305 looks very,very nice.It is because of the beauty of the V 8 wheel that I put some labor of love into my V 8 wheels.See gallery for my wheel pics,or click on link below. Does the R888 come in a 305? Come to think of it changing tire diameter/profile ratios might change the front/ rear traction fraction !! (percentage).:) or the computer might detect tire sizes for us !!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
So- Do I go with the Y spoke and 295's or the polished 5 spoke with the 305's for my V10 order?
Maybe this will help you:

Standard wheels on R8 5.2 FSI are Y spoke 19" in two-tone finish with 295 rears(this is option for R8 4.2 FSI code PRC)

Options are EU market(should be the same for ROW and USA):

PRJ 5-double spoke in 19" with 295 rears(non-cost option)

PQ7 5-double spoke in 19" polished with 305 rears(cost option)

PQK 5-double spoke in 19" Titanium with 305 rears(cost option)

PQ1 Y spoke 19" polished with 305 rears(cost option)

Personally I do not like new Y spoke. Polished can only look good if you choose Oxygen Silver side blades, otherwise they will bring too much attention.
5-double spoke in standard finish(PRJ) is safest non-cost option. They look very good, specially if you choose darker exterior color(Daytona, Lava or Phantom).
5-double spoke in Titanium(PQK) are my personal favourite, specially with Carbon Sigma side blades and lighter exterior colors. Ibis, Ice and Suzuka will look awsome with them. Also Brilliant Red in my opinion...

·
Registered
711 Posts
The PRJ option doesn't feature on the UK website, we are stuck with paying the extra for the 5 spoke, I'm afraid.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The PRJ option doesn't feature on the UK website, we are stuck with paying the extra for the 5 spoke, I'm afraid.
There are a lot of mistakes in R8 Order Guide(PDF) on audi.co.uk web site. PRJ are non-cost option. Check directly with audi UK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts