Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Got a dilemma, would like some opinions.
Have a 2012 v10 Hefner twin turbo gated spyder. Roughly 20k miles. Bought the car 2 years ago with rebuilt title (not due to accident).

I have a degraded #6 cylinder wall and engine now needs a rebuild. I'm being quoted 18-24k for the rebuild.
Questions: Is that a fair price for a rebuild?
Should I rebuild it, or just dump the car as is to someone willing to take on the project?
I'm probably selling the car either way.
Thank you

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
517 Posts
Given the parts and labor involved, that sounds like a pretty fair quote. Are there any upgraded engine components due to it being a turbo build?

Unfortunately, there are 3 strikes against the car. There's a very limited market for turbo cars due to potential reliability issues. It's a salvage title. It needs significant engine repairs.

To get the highest selling price, you may be best off installing a stock replacement engine. But it's still a salvage title. And this is likely going to be a bunch of time and $$ regardless which path you choose. As @low2ground suggested, I think your best bet is to sell it as is. Maybe some YouTuber will be interested in a project car for their channel.

Reactions: CCRV

·
Registered
2010 R8 V-10 R-tronic
517 Posts
Listing on this forum would be a good place to start. It should at least result in some good feedback on pricing if nother else. AutoTrader.com is another good option, and perhaps eBay Motors.

Reactions: CCRV

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
When my V10 engine went, the full replacement with installation work at Audi was over $50k - thankfully under warranty, so I never paid a dime... but dealer did say it was their most expensive warranty claim ever.

I think the price to rebuild it sounds in the ballpark of what I'd expect - but whether you do it or not, I'm not sure. If you're going to sell it either way, you'll really need to feel out whether you take the bigger loss by rebuilding and selling or selling as-is. It'll really depend on that "special" buyer who's not only willing to take on the project but is OK with the title issue, as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much would you want for the car as is?
Id take 75k as is. I know this seems like a lot considering the issues, but this car has had a ton of upgrades and work done to it. It's actually a steal for the right guy.
Vossen Evo 3 piece custom wheels, bagged, full custom interior, audi racing clutch, straight pipe exhaust, and so much more...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Id take 75k as is. I know this seems like a lot considering the issues, but this car has had a ton of upgrades and work done to it. It's actually a steal for the right guy.
Vossen Evo 3 piece custom wheels, bagged, full custom interior, audi racing clutch, straight pipe exhaust, and so much more...
Yeah I think the right quy who rebuilds the internals with turbo "tough" parts can expect a good life from it. However, the salvage title part for me is a no-go. You can't insure it other than liability. So any other thing on the car that might fail is also going to be out of pocket... That's why I never even look at salvaged title anywhere.

·
Registered
97 Posts
As is, that's not really a fair price for a buyer. If a buyer can't rebuild the car for less than a fully functioning version of the same car, there isn't much incentive. For example, that car with its title history, if fully functional and in great condition is probably worth about 100-110k. To do a take-out/replacement engine from a wrecked car would be about $35k alone. Then, you have to factor all the misc parts associated with the turbo setup and then misc parts and work including twin turbo rebuild and heads gone through (to be safe you'd want to do a full rebuild on the turbos), so I bet you are looking at closer to 45-50k parts plus maybe a hundred hours of labor minimum (free if done by the buyer). I say all that to say the car in its current state is probably worth about $50k best case scenario. These cars aren't cheap or easy to work on. If it were a facelift V10+ car coupe, probably worth about 10k more.

I don't mean to be negative as I'd love to do a project such as this, but unless under the number above, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I think the right quy who rebuilds the internals with turbo "tough" parts can expect a good life from it. However, the salvage title part for me is a no-go. You can't insure it other than liability. So any other thing on the car that might fail is also going to be out of pocket... That's why I never even look at salvaged title anywhere.
It's not salvage, it's rebuilt, which is a different distinction in NV and I'm able to have full insurance.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It's not salvage, it's rebuilt, which is a different distinction in NV and I'm able to have full insurance.
I had to look up the difference... so it must have had a salvage title at one point, by definition. Rebuilt means it’s been “repaired sufficiently” to make it road worthy and registrable.

But still carries that stigma.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As is, that's not really a fair price for a buyer. If a buyer can't rebuild the car for less than a fully functioning version of the same car, there isn't much incentive. For example, that car with its title history, if fully functional and in great condition is probably worth about 100-110k. To do a take-out/replacement engine from a wrecked car would be about $35k alone. Then, you have to factor all the misc parts associated with the turbo setup and then misc parts and work including twin turbo rebuild and heads gone through (to be safe you'd want to do a full rebuild on the turbos), so I bet you are looking at closer to 45-50k parts plus maybe a hundred hours of labor minimum (free if done by the buyer). I say all that to say the car in its current state is probably worth about $50k best case scenario. These cars aren't cheap or easy to work on. If it were a facelift V10+ car coupe, probably worth about 10k more.

I don't mean to be negative as I'd love to do a project such as this, but unless under the number above, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze.
I would totally agree with your assessment in most cases. My car just has a massive amount of customization. For example, my wheels and tires were 20k. The interior was 12k, etc. I understand I put way too much money into it, I just didn't care, lol.
Probably own it for life.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I would totally agree with your assessment in most cases. My car just has a massive amount of customization. For example, my wheels and tires were 20k. The interior was 12k, etc. I understand I put way too much money into it, I just didn't care, lol.
Probably own it for life.
if you still enjoy it (or did when it was running properly anyway) just bite the bullet and have it repaired and continue enjoying it. especially if youre the kind of person like me who will just start from scratch on the next project as soon as you get rid of it and dump more money than you should again into the next one :) it'll actually be more cost effective to just repair and keep it

·
Registered
798 Posts
Interesting... I had never heard of that... I might look into some rebuilds now...

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's not unreasonable. I saw a 2015 V10 manual for sale (10k miles) yesterday for 229k. That's 60k over original invoice. WTF. 😮

1 - 20 of 23 Posts