Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me...

2010 V10 R-tronic with a custom aftermarket twin turbo kit. (Fun as hell!)
85K miles currently, New Trans (installed about 3 months ago / 1200 miles put on since)
Full service done: oil, coolants and belt changed same times as Trans

I've had this car for about 9 month now and hasn't really had any issues until today... The car was recently in for a full paint correction and ceramic coating done. Went to pick it up from the shop and went to start it. Fired right up, but ran super rough almost like it was firing on half the cylinders and had white smoke clouds billowing out of the exhaust then it died. Thought that was weird so started it again and fired right up again, no smoke this time but would only run for about 15 seconds then it would just shut off. It wouldn't die as if it was staving for fuel, it was like I turned the **** key off. I can start it and keep the RPM's up or leave it at idle and no matter what it WILL turn off right at the 15 second mark exactly.

No codes, No CEL's... NOTHING
I think it may have something to do with the ecm or some sort of relay.... just weird that it would start doing it now.

Any clue?

·
Super Moderator
6,003 Posts
Would hook up to a vagcom, not all faults result in a CEL

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
The 15 second mark sounds like it's a computer-controlled thing then - I'd agree with Scott regarding hooking up a vagcom and looking for faults.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Had a similar issue...almost identical. Turned out to be two bad ECUs. If your ECUs were ever opened and modded, they may have gotten wet when they detailed/powerwashed for the ceramic coat. Once they get water inside, the ECUs are done.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Had a similar issue...almost identical. Turned out to be two bad ECUs. If your ECUs were ever opened and modded, they may have gotten wet when they detailed/powerwashed for the ceramic coat. Once they get water inside, the ECUs are done.
Yes, wouldn't be surprised if this was it - too coincidental that the car was in for paint correction and ceramic coat, which likely meant a very thorough wash. Hopefully these guys didn't intentionally spray down the engine bay - cracked ECUs or not, I just make sure never to spray water in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts