Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from my relative overseas to tell me that he won't be buying my R8 V8. I ask why and his response is that there is a huge demand for the V10 instead. :eek:

Not sure if the social trend of the country (having the best at any cost) contributes to wanting the V10 more than the V8 but one thing is sure: I am keeping my V8 for now.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
That does not surprise me. The V10 is new and with the added extras not a bad price.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Got a call from my relative overseas to tell me that he won't be buying my R8 V8. I ask why and his response is that there is a huge demand for the V10 instead. :eek:

Not sure if the social trend of the country (having the best at any cost) contributes to wanting the V10 more than the V8 but one thing is sure: I am keeping my V8 for now.

What happened to the days when a deal was a deal :( I thought I read in one of your posts it was a done deal with your relative ?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happened to the days when a deal was a deal :( I thought I read in one of your posts it was a done deal with your relative ?
I also thought it was a done deal. Oh well, he may have a request for a V8 in the near future. No big deal. He's buying my SUV anyway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My friend did an Audi event in the UK recently.The salesman told him they had sold only 68 v10s (that is for the whole of the uk) ,I think they sold 400-500 in the first year of the v8 production,and that only one or two of those v10 orders were from v8 owners 'upgrading'.
So it seems us Brits aren't too fussed abot having a car that is less agile and whose performance you cannot really use on uk roads.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Personally I disagree. The V10 I test drove didn't seem any less agile than the V8 and a little extra torque is always usable :)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I say that if you don't have an R8 and money isn't an issue go for the V10, if it is go for the V8. If you have a V8 you can't really complain because at least you have one! Upgrading to the V10 should only really be done if you're desperate for more :p I'm sure you can live with the V8 a bit longer Hovy :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
...and a little extra torque is always usable :)
nice to see the that the spirits of Sydney Allard and Brian Lister are still abroad in Britain;)

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
nice to see the that the spirits of Sydney Allard and Brian Lister are still abroad in Britain;)
Willy, your informed comments always make my day :D

Down with the bureaucrat rule makers, up and onward the Gentlemen pioneers!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
from a financial pov, if buying new then it makes sense to buy a v10 over a well specced v8, but given how readily available used v8's are it's a different ballgame for a used car buyer. also harder to get upsell from the v8 to v10 for existing owners given how sweet the v8 is and how little real-world-driving difference there is between them.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
from a financial pov, if buying new then it makes sense to buy a v10 over a well specced v8, but given how readily available used v8's are it's a different ballgame for a used car buyer. also harder to get upsell from the v8 to v10 for existing owners given how sweet the v8 is and how little real-world-driving difference there is between them.
Well said..I think the other thing is that a lot of us want the latest and greatest(I came very close)but this is only short term satisfying.

What if you have just traded up to a V10 and taken the hit and then Audi release a lightweight V10 Clubsport which is quicker and more nimble again.

Was brought up on V8's and still think they have the best note..although a V10 with a Stasis or Borla exhaust could possibly change my mind.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The V8 provides great power and the V10 will burn still more gas. If I have more throttle to apply that's power enough for me. I'm sure the V10 is a kick in the pants but there's also the silly "my engine is bigger than yours" factor. If you want an R8 any model will do. They are all exclusive enough. What do they say? Different (bore &) stroke(s) for different folks.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Well said..I think the other thing is that a lot of us want the latest and greatest(I came very close)but this is only short term satisfying.
yeah, I have a mild dose of that too - but just driving the v8 shakes it off.

The V8 provides great power and the V10 will burn still more gas.
the official fuel figures for the v10 look very close to the v8: 19.3 mpg vs 19.2 mpg - not sure what people are getting in the real world from the v10 though.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
So for.....about 9 miles per gallon on my V10!......all city driving!!!!! That's what I get on the V10 M6 also......so nothing that unexpected by me. Hopefully they both will get better mileage in time.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
the figures I quoted were UK gallons, US gallons are asmaller making your 9mpg us still only 10.5mpg uk. I used to get around 15mpg UK in the m6 but I guess we have very different roads/traffic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Personally I disagree. The V10 I test drove didn't seem any less agile than the V8 and a little extra torque is always usable :)

I havn't tried one,just reporting what most of the uk press seem to think.
Also having spoken to several people about this it seems a 10% increase in weight will affect the handling ,so I think there is some truth in the press reports.
Maybe it is only noticable on track though.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
I wonder if the reported 10% weight increase is all down to the engine or the extra standard options ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah I am caught up in this too.

I am happy with the V8 and prefer the sound over the V10.

Having driven both the V10 and V8 -- there is no doubt the V10 is a beast.

I am just keeping an eye what the VF boys are up to.

At £15k for supercharger and if the car proves it can take it over time, then its a no brainer -- stay with the V8 and supercharge it.

Cheers & Bananas

-- Ozmunky :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts