Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is a big NO,NO for me!
Why?
Let me explain little bit reasons for this thread-there are very big number of rumors and fans on several Audi forums who would like to see V12 TDI in R8.

According to my Audi friend this is not going to happened but, lets discuss things little bit here, on true R8 enthusiast place!

There are few things against diesel V12 engine in R8 and here they are IMHO:

-weight! V12 TDI weights alone 313kg!! R8 with that engine would weight around 2050kg!!!
-since this engine has 1000Nm torque automatic gearbox is a must here! Would you like to have true sportscar with autobox?! well...
-weight distribution... With V12 TDI it will be 30% front and 70% rear! Definitely NOT very good thing for mid-engine sportscar
-sound... Did you hear V8 TDI in A8? How it sound in comparison to V8 in RS4? I think that all of you know what I mean here... Diesel engine can not sound as good as true high reving NA V8(or V10!) in R8! Never, IMHO.
-price... R8 is not very cheap right now so, would any of you be interested to pay around 150000Euro for diesel car? Let's see...
-fuel consumption... You need low fuel consumption in true sportscar?! Hmm... And you really think that V12 TDI will have low fuel consumption in R8?
Hmm... Buy yourself a nice VW Golf GT(170hp TDI) and do not even think about R8 any more(well, I am rude here, just a little bit)...

Now, lets here your opinion!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Plus points for V12TDi ...
1. amazing torque, thus making the car it's in very drivable ... pretty much regardless of the revs when you want to put your foot down.
2. better fuel economy than a V10, or even V8, or probably even a V6 turbo ... but if you're buying a car that will leave you little change out of £95,000 if you go all out on the options front ... do you care that much about whether it costs you £50 a week in fuel ... or £100 a week in fuel.
3. if you happen to live in a built up area and don't want to wake half the neighbourhood then it'll be quieter than it's less torquey petrol cousins.

Negative points for the V12TDi ...
1. possibly too much torque to keep a manual gearbox.
2. an even heavier performance car that is ... imho ... already heavy enough.
3. with the extra weight ... the balance of the car will likely be badly compromised.
4. no classic exhaust notes to speak of ... have you heard the reports from people who have seen the R10 TDi speeding round Le Man ... it's errily quite.

The RS4 is wonderfully quick car ... it handles superbly too ... the only thing to let it down when compared to a BMW M3 is the slightly less sharp steering and the reduced feedback thogh the steering wheel ... according to various reviews ... and the reluctacne of the RS4 to powerslide out of a bend in the way a pure rear wheel drive car can be made to do ... oh and have you heard the sound from the RS4's exhaust when the sport button is pushed ... oh, it is a fabulous sound track!

Keep in mind that the R8 will use the same engine as the RS4 mounted closer to the ground as it's dry sumped ... it will have better weight distribution than the RS4, thanks in large part to the location of the engine ... it's centre of gravity will be better (lower) ... and while it is only 90kg lighter than the RS4, it is never the less lighter ... oh yes and as far as I understand it, you won't have a 'Sport' button to make the exhaust louder and throttle response quicker on the R8 ... also, I understand that the exhaust will sound even better than the RS4 with the sport button pressed ... and the throttle response will be similar to that of the RS4 with the sport button pressed.

I think a V10 ... or maybe a turbo'd V8 ... would be more than enough power and torque in the R8 ... just imagine if the V8 going in the R8 could be turbo'd, WOW! ... it might seem enviromentally friendly to put a V12TDi lump in the engine bay ... but would 1,000 R8s running V12TDi engines instead of 1,000 R8s running V10 petrol engines really make any measurable difference in the worlds CO2 emissions ... :confused: ... oh, by the way, the answer is no!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice write-up Paul!
I agree with you on almost all things...
BTW, autobox is a must with V12 TDI.
Yes, there won't be a Sport throttle response in R8, standard setting of throttle and exhaust is in similar mode like Sport on RS4s.
Weight distribution on R8 is 45% front, 55% rear-excellent thing, specially if you know that normal power distribution is 30% front, 70% rear! Add optional Pirelli Corsa tires and you will have glue-like roadholding with ESP in off mode! Only your right foot will be responsible for possible power slides in tight corners...
My point is that with NA V8 engine R8 is almost set to perfection(well, only that weight as you said Paul). We need to see how much more will V10 version weight? Right setup is a key word here IMHO.

BTW, from what I heard from my Audi friend R8 is pretty fast on the track already... In the Tom Kristenssen hands preproduction test mule achived almost same time on the Nurburgring as current 520hp Gallardo! Magnetic Ride+Corsa tires was the setup, without Ceramic Brakes...

Diesel engine in R8? NO!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts