Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, when selecting the button or select reverse you get a loud continuous beep with the light in the button flashing.

I used diagnostic and it said the rear left centre had shorted. So I replaced it with a brand new one only to find no difference to the problem, vagcom says it’s still the same fault.
I swapped it with the rear outer left, still the same problem.

I did a continuity check from sensor to plug break and there is no short.

i did a output check on the sensor and I could not get any reading for distance ie cm on the graph, when I selected ms I got output reading on all front and back sensors apart from rear centre left which was zero.

I need some help please, the next task is to remove the seat and find the control module and do a pin to pin continuity check from there to the sensor but that’s another job for another day.

any ideas .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Under passenger seat (in rhd car) module, almost undoubtedly- I had the same but for a front left sensor. Replaced the unit with a test unit (circa £20) which gave me rear sensors only to test and worked for a couple of months before buying the proper one at an opportune moment.

Depends on the age/spec of the car as to whether the test unit I used will work.. when you have a look at the module make sure you share the part number with us. I’m sort of expecting you to find a little moisture there too.

Whereabouts are you based?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In in Dorset, yes I have come to the conclusion it’s the control module under the pass seat. Once I remove the seat I can pin to pin from the module to rear sensor but I’d be surprised if it’s the wiring.
do you know how much a new control module is ? Or can I buy a second hand one and the recode it via vagcom.
on a separate note would you disconnect the battery when removing the seat, and on reconnection are there any resets I need to do ?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ah, bit far from me then.

Yes, I’ll be astounded if it’s the look unless your car has had damage. I suspect moisture in the module - I tested mine by fitting a similar but incorrect module which tested my rears only - that gave me the confidence that it was the module.

I’ve seen the module for £400-150 new - you can guess where I took a punt! Not sure what they are now and it depends on what your part number is. I have a feeling it’ll be 8P0 919 283B - later cars had 8P0 919 475N I think, which is also rear camera capable… I have one of those sitting on my desk in the office but my car wasn’t coded for it and before playing with that option I saw the 283B module was available at not too silly money.

The battery disconnect may be required for you, I just pulled the fuse from memory or simply left the car off, but my car has buckets/ no seat airbags to worry about.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Disconnect the connectors to the module

i used a multimeter to pin to pin from the CM to sensor, there are no shorts or open circuits so the wiring is good.
I opened up the CM and found corrosion,

So looks like I need a new one,.

Circuit component Blue Finger Hardware programmer Electronic component
Gas Technology Font Auto part Machine
Black Office equipment Font Audio equipment Gadget
Circuit component Hardware programmer Font Electronic component Electronic engineering

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I reconnected the battery I had to
reset the windows
reset the clock to the correct time
go for a drive because the traction control light and mag ride suspension light were both lit in amber, the car doesn’t have mag ride which was interesting.
After about 2 miles both lights went out.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Where is the corrosion? The circuit board looks v clean on the photo. There are a lot of these modules on eBay from £15 but with part no. suffix A or D, I think they are all audio only units but not 100% sure if they are compatible?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yup, had the same…

Soo, holding no liability for you/ your car, I’ll tell you what I did.

I bought a 8P0 919 283D. These are common/ inexpensive as they were used on A3s and TTS. This connects straight up and gave me rear working sensors only. It’ll prove it’s the module - and in fact I ran mine like that for 9months - then splashed out for a proper one at the right price.

That’s what I did, up to you if you want to follow suit. FYI I also came across a cheap later module (can’t recall the number off the top of my head) but it had reverse camera capability built in, so I was thinking ‘upgrade’. Sadly this was not plug and play… it didn’t work at all. I’m sure it could be coded in and I might revisit at a later stage with the rear camera+loom as a full upgrade, but it wasn’t a case of fit it and the rest works, nothing worked, so I went back to the 283D then ultimately the 283B.

Hope the above is of some use.

B

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yup, had the same…

I bought a 8P0 919 283D. These are common/ inexpensive as they were used on A3s and TTS. This connects straight up and gave me rear working sensors only. It’ll prove it’s the module - and in fact I ran mine like that for 9months - then splashed out for a proper one at the right price.

That’s what I did, up to you if you want to follow suit. FYI I also came across a cheap later module (can’t recall the number off the top of my head) but it had reverse camera capability built in, so I was thinking ‘upgrade’. Sadly this was not plug and play… it didn’t work at all. I’m sure it could be coded in and I might revisit at a later stage with the rear camera+loom as a full upgrade, but it wasn’t a case of fit it and the rest works, nothing worked, so I went back to the 283D then ultimately the 283B.

B
ive bought this one from an Audi A3, I don’t have a camera on my car. If it doesn’t work I’ll buy the right one from Audi, but for £15, I thought it was worth a try.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update on this, I ordered a new control module for the parking assist and fitted it, I tried it and it didn’t really make sense, beeping all over the place.
I compared the coding values in vagcom old with new and realised the numbers were different, I plugged the old numbers into the new coding and hey presto it all works

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yup, had the same…

B
Hi, you don't happen to have that module by any chance as I have a 2010 V10 Spyder with rear camera but none of sensors working and no camera when reverse engaged just a long beep and flashing button!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts