Audi R8 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes but we're talking naturally aspirated and JHM keeps all of the safety checks in place. The performance increase has honestly transformed the car. I think they've come quite a ways since the early B7 RS4 supercharger days.
Watch out dude. You're not sucking off VF and thats a huge red flag to a ton of forum members. :)

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Try a Sprintbooster/Pedalbox and you'll feel more kick than you would any tune for the V8. Bang for your bucks even if there are no actual hp gains. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Watch out dude. You're not sucking off VF and thats a huge red flag to a ton of forum members. :)
Ha! Hey if I were going to go forced induction on an R8 V10 it’d most likely be with VF. With that said, I originally reached out to them for a tune on my vehicle and got a canned response with no data to back up a salesman’s claim. Wasn’t a priority for them and that’s fine, no worries, very happy with what I have now. Good to have choices.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ha! Hey if I were going to go forced induction on an R8 V10 it’d most likely be with VF. With that said, I originally reached out to them for a tune on my vehicle and got a canned response with no data to back up a salesman’s claim. Wasn’t a priority for them and that’s fine, no worries, very happy with what I have now. Good to have choices.
Well said. Agree 100%. I'll have to check out JHM.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yes but we're talking naturally aspirated and JHM keeps all of the safety checks in place. The performance increase has honestly transformed the car. I think they've come quite a ways since the early B7 RS4 supercharger days. There's more than a few supercharged RS4's which have been running this whole time without issue. It's a fairly small market so there's not a huge pool of knowledge.

I made sure to not only dyno test mine throughout the build process but I also log a ton of parameters regularly just to see where the car is at and make sure there are no red flags. So far it's been brilliant, knock in check, timing adjustments are minimal unless it's 100 degrees out (aka summer in Texas). I mean 50 wheel hp out of a 4.2L N/A engine is pretty amazing. And that's on 93 pump. Doing E85 next, possibly even methanol injection.
Me too, the BNS is N/A. They have some good hardware but I'm wary of any "tuning" from them. I'm happy that you're happy with your car build.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well said. Agree 100%. I'll have to check out JHM.
When I bought my exhaust through JHM, they talked about their tunes for the V10s. Wasnt a ton of info on them at the tune at the time so I went with VF. I had JHM tuning on my V8 S4 and it worked flawlessly for over 100K miles.

·
Supporting Vendor
428 Posts

We will second the notion that carbon cleaning is a necessity on these
Gen1 R8 V8 and V10 models. The second most common power "robber"
would be dirty air filters. We have seen carbon build up and dirty filters
rob notable amounts of power that's unfortunately just not recoverable
with any combination of aftermarket software and/or exhaust mods.

Once those two aspects have been addressed, the most significant power
adder (short of going forced induction) would absolutely be ECU Software.
This not only improves actual power output, but when applied properly can
dramatically improve drivability.

NOTE: The same effect that's offered by products like "Pedal Box" or "Sprint Booster"
is also enhanced with our software calibration.

The vast majority of our positive feedback on Gen1 models is in regards to the
improvement in drivability... especially for R-tronic models, and even more so
when paired with our TCU software calibration.

These are BOTH options that can be purchased and installed from home, without
the need to remove and crack open your ECU's. Both are easily reversible, and
both are included in our 30-Day Money Back Guarantee.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle. My tune failed the first time leaving my car disabled. Nik at VF had no issue remotely logging in long after the work day was over and trying to assist me. When it wasn't a simple task he took care of getting me a flat bed and having the car towed to a local vf dealer (doesn't sound like a hard thing but it was TX2K here in Houston and no flat beds could be found). They stand by their product. It was a no brainer when I supercharged my car to go with them. As for the tune file it could have been that your software version was one that they weren't familiar with.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle. My tune failed the first time leaving my car disabled. Nik at VF had no issue remotely logging in long after the work day was over and trying to assist me. When it wasn't a simple task he took care of getting me a flat bed and having the car towed to a local vf dealer (doesn't sound like a hard thing but it was TX2K here in Houston and no flat beds could be found). They stand by their product. It was a no brainer when I supercharged my car to go with them. As for the tune file it could have been that your software version was one that they weren't familiar with.
This sounds like a horrible experience and one of the reasons I didn't feel comfortable installing the VF tune on mine.
Regardless of how easy it is to install the tune, if it bricks your ECU, it's a bad experience and one that a company should do everything in its power to correct.
You don't get brownie points for bricking someones ECU and then working after hours to fix it and then sending a tow truck when that doesn't work.

Am I crazy for thinking this is an absolute nightmare? I'm confused why people handout props for this type of experience.

·
Registered
673 Posts
They are handing out props for VF standing behind their product, no matter what. That is rare these days. With that being said, having your toy out of commission for an amount of time is never fun, and always stress-inducing.

It's abundantly clear that you want to keep your car stock ;) Enjoy it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
They are handing out props for VF standing behind their product, no matter what. That is rare these days. With that being said, having your toy out of commission for an amount of time is never fun, and always stress-inducing.

It's abundantly clear that you want to keep your car stock ;) Enjoy it!
I was interested in tuning my car. Still am.
You don't get props for not effectively QA'ing your code prior to installing in customers cars. Its almost impossible to have a test car that reflects every possible customer configuration but it should be possible to spin up some artificial environments to QA.
As Ive stated before, VF has a strong background and some great people, but they have to improve their process and their customers (or prospective customers) should be holding them accountable for it. One of the ways of doing that is not letting them off the hook when they brick an ECU or take someones baby out of commission for months on end.

If we are going to have vendors in the R8Talk forum and they are going to be a part of our community then we should be providing honest, tough feedback.
I'm excited to see VF improve and deliver more world class products.

·
Supporting Vendor
428 Posts

We absolutely appreciate all of the kind words from our current
customers!

We ALSO agree wholeheartedly with GR8NJR8's observations &
assessment of situations that inadvertently lead to the need for
higher level customer service and troubleshooting.

The best customer service is the one you never have to use!

NOTE: A "bricked" ECU would only define an ECU that is NOT at
all recoverable by any measure, literally rendering it as a "brick"
or "paper weight" and requiring full replacement with NEW ECU(s).
- and -
Software cannot damage hardware, meaning OBDII Port Flashing is
still significantly safer overall than bench flashing, which requires
removal and physically opening the ECU's.

The three most common issues that we run into, which we would like
to emphasize are still quite rare,
are;

• Customers not being aware that their cars that are previously tuned
  • User error when customers anxiously rush through the process
  • New(er) S/W versions that are not yet in our database and fully validated
We do have some control over (2) of those (3) situations, and are;

1. Always trying to improve/simplify the installation process.
  2. Upfront and transparent with customers regarding validation of new versions.

We do believe that THIS is the reason why those of our clients who have
unfortunately had to deal with these rare occurrences, continue to remain
confident, enthusiastic, and loyal,... as we always say that "it's not
whether problems may occur, it's how you react and respond when
then do

The fact of the matter is that none of these processes are absolutely
perfect, as (especially on older Gen1 models) there will always be a
chance for anomalies to occur when you don't fully know the history
of the vehicle. That being said, we are currently the ONLY company
who is offering OBDII Port Flashable Software for these models at
the end user level, and we sell to scores of customers each month
with the forums as one of our primary markets to reach enthusiasts.

(Hence the repeated emphasis on the rarity of these situations!)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts