Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
V8 Vantage is more expensive, slower on the road and on the race track then R8. It do not have bi-xenon lights(!) and build quality is still not the best.
But, I drove one and I like it. Gearbox has some meaty quality and complete car is very balanced. Engine is good but, not very good or powerfull. For example 997 Carrera S(355hp) engine feels more powerfull.
For me the choice is clear-R8. Also this is web site about R8...

If V8 Vantage, then Roadster version. That could be a nice car beside R8...

·
Registered
311 Posts
V8 Vantage is more expensive, slower on the road and on the race track then R8. It do not have bi-xenon lights(!) and build quality is still not the best.
I think you will find that the AMV8 has a slightly higher list price than the R8 but is actually cheaper when specced to a similar level.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The AM Vantage is without doubt a truely gorgeous car ... there is a certain something about all current Astons ... be it the Vantage, DB9, or Vanquish ... for looks alone, if you had the money and garage space ... you'd buy one ... providing you had a spare car for when it needed a trip to the garage ... well I would anyway.

However ... the R8 is also a good looking car ... not in the same way as the Astons ... but not ugly by any stretch of the imagination ... and when it comes to performance figures and reliability .... the R8 will trounce the AM V8 all day long ... imho.

I like both cars for different reasons ... I'd like to own an Aston ... but I won't be buying one just yet ... with continuing change of ownership issues ... not to mention that an Aston could be viewed as a 'Fast Ford' ... I'll not be parting with my hard earned at an Aston showroom anytime soon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Aston Martin. Been there done that - had a new Virage many years ago when they were still made by AM. If you like to pose, have a penchant for archaic engineering and handbuilt interiors and engines (remember that handbuilt does not mean supreme quality and tight engineering - honda proved that years ago). Before I bought the car I had not appreciated how slow and heavy it was and how poorly it handled - sure it was lovely to look at but that's where it stops. Would never buy another. Friend of mine bought a new Vanquish this year - was so disappointed in the gearbox and other issues he returned it in a month and got a Mini Clubman instead which he said was more fun. When you get an audi you get value for money (apart from the optional extras!) and cutting edge technology backing up the engineering. Sorry - forgot one other issue my Virage had rusting sills before the car was two years old - repaired under warranty but what does that tell you.

·
Registered
840 Posts
isn,t r8 faster than a vanquish never mined the ve vantage
The R8 accelerates faster than any road going Aston currently in production ... although in a trip acorss Germany ... the Vanquish would just about get the better of the R8 on clear Autobahns as ... according to Aston's specs ... it can do 200mph.

However, as a derestricted '06 RS4 can do 186mph ... a slightly lighter and possibly slightly better aerodynamic car that the R8 is ... the extra 1mph that Audi are claiming for the R8 seems more than possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts