Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont think we have a solid figure on the price of the V8 or the price of the V10... but I do believe we finally have some "sound" of the engine.. the only question is, is this the V8 or V10?

Check out the video here:

http://www.r8audi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6

The people on autoblog seem to think it sounds like a V8, but during high RPM operations it sounds like a V10 to me.

What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm not sure which motor was in the testing but the dealer told me that they were going to release the 8 first and then follow it up with the 10

·
Registered
840 Posts
Everything is pointing to the V8 coming out first, rumour, hearsay and any information that seems to be sneaking out of Audi.

How about thinking of it like this ...

A) If you were a car maker, would you want to release a V10 version on launch day, then 8-12 months later release a less powerfull V8 version for less money :confused:

Or ...

B) If you were a car maker, would you want to release a V8 version on launch day, then 8-12 months later release a more powerfull V10 version for more money :confused:

If you went with situation A you could be seen to be releasing a budget model of a car which is a technical first for your company. After all, the R8 will be Audi's first mid engine performance road car.

However, if you went with situation B you would not detract from the launch of your company's technical first when after 8-12 months of glowing press reports you then produce an even more powerful and desirable version with 2 more cylinders and an extra load of horses in the engine bay.

Having taken delivery of my 2006 Audi RS4 in March I can say form experience that the free revving V8 delivers extrordinary performance in a four seat family saloon. Put that same engine in a lighter and hopefully an even more nimble chassis and you should be heading towards an even more impressive car ... and take it from me, the RS4 is very impressive.

Releasing the V8 first and following it up with the V10 is the only logical way for Audi to release the R8. Personally I'll be looking to get my hands on the first available R8 I can. I fully anticipate that being a V8 model. So, when I take delivery of it next year (delays hopefully not taking place) I will make sure the dealer has me on an upgrade list for a V10 version as soon as is possible :D

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
The logic behind releasing the 8 then the 10 seems correct. I have heard and am trying to confirm which way it will go. Interestingly enough, Porsche usually does the oposite, they release the S than the non S...note the cayman release.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The logic behind releasing the 8 then the 10 seems correct. I have heard and am trying to confirm which way it will go. Interestingly enough, Porsche usually does the oposite, they release the S than the non S...note the cayman release.
So did the Boxter come out in S first then the non S second ... I thought that the non S was first out then the S was brought out sometime after ... maybe its different here in the UK ... or maybe the Cayman release was not the normal way Porsche do things ... :confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
yeah definatly the 8 will come out first, then give it about 6 months and the 10 will be out. I always thought the Cayman as an S was a strange choice.

·
Registered
840 Posts
is the rumored diesel version dead then?
Not sure if it is still alive ... likewise I do not know if it is dead ... I suspect there is a lot of thought ... not to mention feasability work and technical design work being undertaken to see if it is possible ... in a way it makes sense to release a diesel version ... especially if it uses the latest V12TDi version as used in the Q7 ... especially now Audi has changed from the R8 petrol powered car in racing ... to the R10 which runs a diesel powerplant.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Given Audi's decision already to 'go diesel' globally, I think the "R12" is still 'alive' somewhere.....but I think they're probably pretty focused on just getting R8 V8's delivered to us, just to shut us up for awhile!

I think the real question might turn out to be: is the V10 stillborn, in favor of jumping straight to the R12? In a couple of years........

Thoughts on this idea?

·
Registered
40 Posts
From the video it definitely sounds like the V8. I've heard the R8 before at all speeds, and it definitely matches the V8 R8 being used right now.

·
Registered
564 Posts
same here.. this is def a V8.. much more bass in sounds.. its not that high italian soparno opera voice, screaming.. its more like hulk hogan snoring..

the sound already justifies the price and the intention of buying such a vehicle ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
the video posted was of one of the first test mules... note the rear end-
those cars are 8s. what you are hearing is the high rev engine- and the exhaust with baffles that open up as the rpms increase (a friend has a vanquish and had the exhaust baffles removed so that it sounds incredible even at lower revs)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts