Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody notice how prices on

Ferrari ,Mclaren,Gt3’s , Huracans
All increased in value & you can’t even find them but the R8 went down drastically and there are dime a dozen .... I hate Covid market
Worst time to sell
Why is this happening?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi,
I haven't participated in this forum in a long time but my recent research shows the exact opposite.
The value on gated shifter R8's is apparently through the roof.

Have you seen this? $177,000 auction price.

I believe this 2011 sold for more than it's original sticker price with 9k miles.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Since the OP posted in 2nd Gen area, I’m assuming they are referring to 2nd Gen pricing? And My observations are similar, it is odd that 2017-2019 NSX’s have gone up in price, just about all used 911’s have gone up, 458’s have become difficult to find, 720’s appear to be higher than a year ago, etc but I’ve not noticed a similar uptick in Gen 2 R8 pricing.

·
Registered
2018 R8 V10 Plus
39 Posts

All increased in value & you can’t even find them but the R8 went down drastically and there are dime a dozen .... I hate Covid market
Worst time to sell
Why is this happening?
Yes, they still are depreciating in value, but after the giant first year hit, the depreciation in value slows significantly. That is certainly also the case for McLarens, Huracans, NSXs, etc. Regarding a dime a dozen, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. When I was searching for a 2018 V10 Plus a couple months ago there were very few available across the entire country. I just looked on Autotrader and there are 8 total. To me that is not a dime a dozen. :)

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
I haven't participated in this forum in a long time but my recent research shows the exact opposite.
The value on gated shifter R8's is apparently through the roof.

Have you seen this? $177,000 auction price.

I believe this 2011 sold for more than it's original sticker price with 9k miles.
I guess if you look at CARFAX or guru it would show quite opposite .
All I see is lack of other exotics and r8s everywhere
SoCal of course

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the OP posted in 2nd Gen area, I’m assuming they are referring to 2nd Gen pricing? And My observations are similar, it is odd that 2017-2019 NSX’s have gone up in price, just about all used 911’s have gone up, 458’s have become difficult to find, 720’s appear to be higher than a year ago, etc but I’ve not noticed a similar uptick in Gen 2 R8 pricing.
I have been actively looking at upgrading to a 720 and my research has shown exactly what you’ve stated. Which is mind boggling

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, they still are depreciating in value, but after the giant first year hit, the depreciation in value slows significantly. That is certainly also the case for McLarens, Huracans, NSXs, etc. Regarding a dime a dozen, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. When I was searching for a 2018 V10 Plus a couple months ago there were very few available across the entire country. I just looked on Autotrader and there are 8 total. To me that is not a dime a dozen. :)
I guess I should’ve said in SoCal - every state is different , I’m SoCal the R8 depreciated at a way greater value then the other exotics and the other exotics had a spike in value & rarity

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I think what we will see in years to come as electric vehicles proliferate is a sort of FOMO among car enthusiasts who want to grab some of the last gas powered exotics before they're gone for good. What auto manufacturer is even planning another gas exotic? Seems like they're all rolling out hybrids and electrics. And god help you if you want a naturally aspirated stick shift type. Even natural aspiration can be hard enough to find.

·
Banned
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think what we will see in years to come as electric vehicles proliferate is a sort of FOMO among car enthusiasts who want to grab some of the last gas powered exotics before they're gone for good. What auto manufacturer is even planning another gas exotic? Seems like they're all rolling out hybrids and electrics. And god help you if you want a naturally aspirated stick shift type. Even natural aspiration can be hard enough to find.
Sad times for automotive enthusiasts...

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
248 Posts
@714r8audi I have been following the R8 market for months in SoCal (ended up buying 2020 R8 Performance few weeks ago). I am not sure the prices have gone down though. I am still seeing 2017 plus models around 145K, 2018 plus models above 155K, and 2020 Performance above 180K. And the sad part is that some of the 2017/2018 ones are multiple owner cars with good amount of miles on it. When I was shopping around December 2020, I was able to find a lot of single owner 2018 Plus cars with low miles at or under 155K. Right now, the only single owner 2018 car I see is in San Diego. That one has bucket seats and priced around $160K (compared to $155K low mileage, well optioned 2018 Plus models I was seeing 4 months ago).

·
Registered
496 Posts
Porsche, McLaren, Ferrari, etc all have names synonymous with performance even though Lambo makes the Urus, Porsche the Cayenne etc, but Audi is looked at as the low end make a car for everybody EG Q3, A3 etc all the way up to R8. Our cars our just over half the price of other supercars (perhaps Porsche 911 GT3 excepted) and IMO are looked at as the peoples supercar.
You got it for less so it sells for less and take a look as it is only rare limited number other brand models that appreciate whereas the only rare R8's are the 2014 R8 LMX and the 2018 RWS. The LMX is starting to get noticed and the RWS is still a 2.5 year old car. Just a note: It took Ferrari's F40 about 12 years to get noticed.

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2020 AMG GLC)3
602 Posts
The R8 is the Rodney Dangerfield of super cars. No respect I tell yah, no respect. Lamborghinis, Ferrari’s, and McLarens all cost more but between the price of one of those and my R8 is enough money to buy some very nice second cars.

Reactions: 714r8audi

·
Registered
923 Posts
Its hard not to use the term "pedigree" when comparing the R8 to those mentioned by the OP. IMHO Audi has obtained a higher level of pedigree since the days of the rally championship years. Then add the Le Mans years and other world championships and their trophy case is full of accomplishments. The R8 "supercar" is a relatively new thing for Audi so I feel this is why values might not reach the level of others. But, things are beginning to happen for the early R8's so let's see where the market takes us. Until then, I'm not looking at my car as an investment....never have, never will. I drive it as much as I can and enjoy every moment I'm behind the wheel. If it goes up in value, icing on the cake.

·
Registered
830 Posts

Worst time to sell
Why is this happening?
As B-line showed, R8 price have risen in recent months; however, you captured my curiosity, so I did a quick search on Car-Gurus, not knowing exactly what years you referring to, I searched for 2020-2021 (the years I felt would have the tightest used inventory).
R8 - 84
Huracan - 49
McLaren 720S - 125
Ferrari - Spider - 34

Based upon my recent car shopping experience, I disagree that the Covid market is the worst time to sell; if anything, it may be a bad time to BUY. I found that inventories were sparse and dealers more reluctant than usual to deal. However, I was pleased with trade offers I was receiving on my 2018 V12 DB11; low mile/good condition hi-end cars are in demand right now, but markets are regional and your experiences may very!
Good luck,
Jim

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2020 AMG GLC)3
602 Posts
With almost everyone working (or not) from home and getting into the stock market making 100%-300% returns, and no place to go to enjoy it, why not spend up on super cars. Life is uncertain. Don’t wait until you’re too old to enjoy it. Buy a super car first.

Reactions: BDAmico and YoloR8

·
Registered
20 Posts
These cars aren’t investments. The only cars that are investments are the ones you don’t drive. A major part of the appeal of the R8 (at least for me) is that it’s made by a company that perfected practical before attempting exotic. You can’t say that about Ferrari, Lamborghini, or McLaren. Yes, Ferrari and McLaren in particular have distinguished racing pedigrees, but racing is not about practicality. Audi matured from making what were essentially rebranded Volkswagens to rally-winning Quattros to the Le Mans–dominating R8. Much like Porsche, Audi was reliable before it was racing. Our beloved R8 is meant to be enjoyed without having to worry about depreciation or running costs or high mileage—it is an owner’s car, not just a driver’s car.

·
Registered
128 Posts
29 R8s for sale on autotrader Canada between 2018-22 and prices look solid.

Last 2022 RWD Spyder sold for 239k CAD (MSRP was 194k).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts