Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Is What The Article Says In Their Exact Words:

Road & Track Update Audi R8 (august 07)

You May Be Wondering Why There's A Road Test Update On A Car We Ran Numbers On Only Three Months A Go. One Reason Is We Found Acceleration Differences Between The Conventional Manual And Its Automatically Shifted Counterpart. While The Latter In The R8 , Dubbed R-tronic , Exhibits Lightning-quick Gearchanges , It Doesn't Provide The Driver With The Ultimate Control During Launch That The Manual Does . Despite Being Equipped With Launch Control , The Automatic R8 Restricts The Engine Speed To Only 5000 Rpm When Getting Off The Line . The 6-speed Manual Gearbox , On The Other Hand , Lets You Rev The 4.2 Liter V-8 All The Way To Redline (8250 Rpm) Before Dropping The Clutch To Get The Optimal Amount Of Wheelspin While Taking Off.

So When We Got Our Hands On A Manual Equipped R8 , We Took It Straight To The Test Track Where The Numbers Told The Story. From Zero To 60 Mph , The Manual R8 Clocked In At 4.0 Seconds , 0.3 Seconds Quicker Than The Automatic . That Said , The R-tronic's Quickshifts Alowed The Automatic R8 To Narrow The Gap To 0.1 Seconds At The Quarter-mile Mark.

Control And Performance Aren't The Only Reasons For Choosing The Manual . Nevermind The R-tronic Will Run You An Extra $9000 , The Manual Gearbox In The R8 Is One Of The Smoothest , Slickest Units In The Market Place.
The Clutch Pedal Is Surprisingly Light , And The Shifter Snaps Into Each Gear With A Slight Push Or Pull Of The Right Hand. The Pedals Are Set Up For Easy Heel-and-toeing , Allowing You To Match Revs And Enter Corners In A Way You Just Can't Experience With An Automatic. And The Manual Looks Better , Too , Thanks To The Metal Gated Shift Plate.

Another Reason For This Update Is A More Personal One: To Relay The Fist Impressions Of More Members Of The R&t Staff.
Most Of Us Marveled At The Civil Nature Of The Car , Some Even Going As Far As Likening It To A Luxury Sedan . "are You Kidding Me? This Thing Is So Smooth , It's Easy To Forget You're In An Exotic Sports Car . The Car Is Quiet , And The Ride Quality Is Silky . With The R8 , You Don't Need A Separate Everyday Commuter Car , This Audi Is As Comfortable As Virtually Any Sports Sedan Out There," One Editor Commented.
Another Editor Remarked: "i Really Like It. It May Border On Sacrilege , But The R8 Reminds Me Of A German Version Of The Acura Nxs , What With Its Sewing -machine- Like Engine Behind The Driver. I Also Like The Low Cowl And Generous Interior Space."
Every Entry In The Car's Notebook Consisted Of Glowing Praise For The German Super Car. And If We Had Are Way , We'd Do A Road Test Update On The R8 Every Month , Just So We Can Keep Driving It.

Sam Mitani (r&t August 07)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I believe I'd also get the MT (3-pedal) tranny. I don't mind shifting gears and $9K can be spent on other features.

·
Registered
311 Posts
R-tronic is not an auto box, but a robotised manual. What are they talking about?:confused: I have ordered r-tronic and I am absolutely certain that auto mode will be terrible, but that manual mode when mastered will be pretty good.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Car & Driver April 2007...We tested an R tronic model at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, Nevada, and managed to achieve the benchmark 0-to-60-mph sprint in 4.0 seconds. Audi claims a 0-to-62-mph (100 km/h) time of 4.6 seconds, which sounds decidedly conservative compared with our data. The drill for maximum performance is to engage the launch-control function by braking and selecting the R tronic sport setting. This allows the engine to rev up to about 5000 rpm before you release the brake and it dumps the clutch. This produces brief wheelspin at all four corners before the car regains traction and rockets off to a quarter-mile time of 12.6 seconds at 113 mph.

As you can see from above result, some magazines are getting better performance from the R-Tronic. So, to be honest, once again, it's a matter of personal choice. Remember, this is an AWD car, so you need to be careful when launching or you'll find yourself with a cooked clutch. I think the difference on the Drag Strip/Street will be marginal. My reasoning is this.

MT R8 driver will need to practice his launch techinique many times depending on road/track condition, Too much revs = Wheel Spin. Too little revs = car bogs down. Too much revs & clutch slip = Cooked clutch. Also launch technique needs to adapted to every condition. Wet Track = Launch Technique needs to be adapted.

BUT

R-Tronic R8 LC Automatically revs the engine to 5000rpm then monitors wheel spin and acceleration based on track condition. If the track is wet it will pulse the clutch to optimise acceleration. The LC is set and forget in any conditions and makes launching simple and consistent for any driver.

The same way my current M3 SMG LC works. It only revs to 3500rpm BUT it screams off the line and when the road is wet you can feel/hear the clutch being pulsed to optimise acceleration. I've drag raced MT M3s before, only to have the driver say "Oh, can we try again, I didn't use enough revs..."

So, this magazine got a slightly better time for MT. IMO I think the R-Tronic will be more consistent and easier to launch on the street/track. Less headaches more grins/wins!!! I'll do my own testing...on the street. :D

·
Registered
935 Posts
and YES I must admit the Auto Mode in M3 SMG is terrible. But, I never use it. If you're buying R-Tronic for the Auto Function you might be in for a surprise. I wouldn't expect it to be smooth either.

SMG, R-Tronic, E-Gear and Cambio Corsa (Ferrari) are all robotised manuals and IMO they are meant to be driven as a manual. The Auto function was an after thought.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just one warning regarding LC starts with either R-Tronic or e-gear. Clutch will last only up to around 10 LC starts or so. In Gallardo there is even a warning about 10minutes brake between LC starts...

I can bet that we will have many killed clutches on R-Tronics and Audi will not cover all warranty issues...

·
Registered
126 Posts
The owners manual, states how to activate and carry out launch control, But it does not mention how many times launch control can be used before the clutch becomes knackered. but it does state....

"Accelerating with the launch control programme places a heavy
load on all parts of the vehicle. This can result in increased wear and tear"

And as we all know wear and tear items are not warranty.....

There is a clutch wear/overheating warning light on the R-tronic models, so you will know if your clutch is on its way or not.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just one warning regarding LC starts with either R-Tronic or e-gear. Clutch will last only up to around 10 LC starts or so. In Gallardo there is even a warning about 10minutes brake between LC starts...

I can bet that we will have many killed clutches on R-Tronics and Audi will not cover all warranty issues...
Hi Kreso - is this for real? I know we have touched on this before but I find it hard to believe anybody (especially audi) is going to put a feature like LC on a car that will kill the transmission in 10 uses. Not good for business or customer relations. The gallardo has had four clutch upgrades and I dont know if this is true anymore.

I dont know if this is true but as the R tronic is a robotised manual - if the LC kills it in 10-15 uses then surely this will happen in the manual if you get involved in 10-15 traffic light duels as well. I have had some serious fast cars and I have never got through clutches that fast - maybe a set of tyres in 2000 miles but thats it.

John

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi Kreso - is this for real? I know we have touched on this before but I find it hard to believe anybody (especially audi) is going to put a feature like LC on a car that will kill the transmission in 10 uses. Not good for business or customer relations. The gallardo has had four clutch upgrades and I dont know if this is true anymore.

I dont know if this is true but as the R tronic is a robotised manual - if the LC kills it in 10-15 uses then surely this will happen in the manual if you get involved in 10-15 traffic light duels as well. I have had some serious fast cars and I have never got through clutches that fast - maybe a set of tyres in 2000 miles but thats it.

John
John,

To quote Metallica-Sad but true...

Also here is a good thing from Rob's post:
"There is a clutch wear/overheating warning light on the R-tronic models, so you will know if your clutch is on its way or not."

This is saying pretty much... Isn't it?

BTW, all Ferrari's F1 clutches are only good for about(also!) 10 LC starts or so. Same thing on SMGIII on BMW M5/M6... My friend killed his M6 clutch with only 9(!!) LC starts...

One question for you-are you buying R-Tronic R8 to use LC extensivly?
If your answer is yes then R8 is not the right car for you...

·
Registered
149 Posts
John,

To quote Metallica-Sad but true...

Also here is a good thing from Rob's post:
"There is a clutch wear/overheating warning light on the R-tronic models, so you will know if your clutch is on its way or not."

This is saying pretty much... Isn't it?

BTW, all Ferrari's F1 clutches are only good for about(also!) 10 LC starts or so. Same thing on SMGIII on BMW M5/M6... My friend killed his M6 clutch with only 9(!!) LC starts...

One question for you-are you buying R-Tronic R8 to use LC extensivly?
If your answer is yes then R8 is not the right car for you...
Thanks for the info. The answer is no - I was hoping to use the LC occasionally and probably more than on just ten occasions but not often ( now that you have told me this info- I probably wont use it at all!!). I like the paddle gear control (only in Sport manual)on my maserati gransport and also the DSG I had on a an audi S3 (but hate the Tiptronic on my wife's S4 Cab) I had so maybe I have become a lazy driver. But I still think it is the way to go - you dont see any racing units be it F1/rally or le mans that still run conventional manual three pedal cars. I find you can focus better at speed with two hands on the wheel and you need to be a serious driver clocking up a lot of track time to heel and toe and get the best out of a manual.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts