Audi R8 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
The S4 system isn't a relevant comparison as it was developed more than 10 years ago, and amortized over hundreds of systems. There's absolutely no way we could recreate that system today at the current price point.

Additionally, our goal was stated for this re-release of the R8 V8 system as:
- Comparable power to the original system (which we exceded) ...
-and-
- Less than the original price point of $19,995 (which we accomplished)
as to offer the best chance of being sub-$20K installed (which we are very close to achieving).

The combination currently seems to be well received so far as we are just about 1/2 way through the first production run of 20 systems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to chime in, @VF-Engineering. If the reason the price is so high is because there aren't going to be as many units to amortize the costs over, then why limit the run to only 20 units? Seems like a shame that this application will only ever live for the few months it will take to sell out and then every future V8 owner will be in the same spot we were again.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I must be missing something ... You are getting over 600hp which exceeds the V10 for 15k. The low mileage V8s are in the high 60s to low 70s. The older V10s are mid to high 80s if not more and again aren’t putting out the same power. What newer V10 is at this price point ? I think VF accomplished what they set out to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's 16k, not 15k. And it's 575hp to 600. And it's closer to 20k installed, and if you need a new clutch it's closer to 25k. But yeah, other than that, sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
10k would be ideal then fit it myself to save money
Problem is at 16k changing to the v10 makes more sense
If less money meant less power that would be ok as 500hp is enough for road use
It’s more torque lower in the Revs I’m looking for

·
Registered
646 Posts
It will be $25K all done, and that's v10 territory. So a 75K V8 + 25K for install, gives you 575 CHP for 100 grand.

Grab a nicely specc'd gated V10 for around 100K, and tune it for ~1500$. You will be at the same power levels, with a much more sought after spec, and the more desirable engine.

As I said before, if this kit could be installed for 16-17K and DID NOT require fueling or trans upgrades (a true plug&play), it would be a home run kit.

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
... if this kit could be installed for 16-17K and DID NOT require fueling or trans upgrades (a true plug&play), it would be a home run kit.

Just for further clarification, the entire system is indeed "true plug & play".

There are no required "trans upgrades", as a healthy stock clutch will handle the torque.

The $15,995 price point includes all (3) fuel pumps ...
(1) brand new OEM drop-in low-pressure V10 pump, and
(2) brand new OEM high-pressure pumps, with the AutoTech high-volume internals.
( YES, these are brand new,... not rebuilt or refurbed )

And on the topic of toque, did you really get a good look at the dyno plots we posted?
  • The V10 used for reference was a 2017 (Gen2) V10 PLUS model.

This product is intended for those of you who are currently in love with the Audi R8 V8 that you already have, and are looking for a relatively easy way to take it to the next level.

The end result is not just a 4.2L V8 that makes slightly more peak crank horsepower than any current stock V10 model,... but SIGNIFICANTLY MORE torque throughout the entire rev range as well. The only V10 spec that would surpass that level of power/excitement (at any price point) would also need forced induction.

There are currently (30) Audi R8 V8's on AutoTrader for under $70K, with (15) of those being below the $65k mark, and (5) of those at or below $60k. Selling your current car to upgrade to a stock (or ECU Tuned) V10 would be a more expensive endeavor, but as aficionados of that 5.2L V10 engine ourselves, there's always a case to be made for how awesome that engine is as well - in any form.

We're just trying to fill a void that comes in between those two options, and are more than confident in what we have accomplished!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Just for further clarification, the entire system is indeed "true plug & play".

There are no required "trans upgrades", as a healthy stock clutch will handle the torque.

The $15,995 price point includes all (3) fuel pumps ...
(1) brand new OEM drop-in low-pressure V10 pump, and
(2) brand new OEM high-pressure pumps, with the AutoTech high-volume internals.
( YES, these are brand new,... not rebuilt or refurbed )

And on the topic of toque, did you really get a good look at the dyno plots we posted?
  • The V10 used for reference was a 2017 (Gen2) V10 PLUS model.
View attachment 245043

This product is intended for those of you who are currently in love with the Audi R8 V8 that you already have, and are looking for a relatively easy way to take it to the next level.

The end result is not just a 4.2L V8 that makes slightly more peak crank horsepower than any current stock V10 model,... but SIGNIFICANTLY MORE torque throughout the entire rev range as well. The only V10 spec that would surpass that level of power/excitement (at any price point) would also need forced induction.

There are currently (30) Audi R8 V8's on AutoTrader for under $70K, with (15) of those being below the $65k mark, and (5) of those at or below $60k. Selling your current car to upgrade to a stock (or ECU Tuned) V10 would be a more expensive endeavor, but as aficionados of that 5.2L V10 engine ourselves, there's always a case to be made for how awesome that engine is as well - in any form.

We're just trying to fill a void that comes in between those two options, and are more than confident in what we have accomplished!
You have.. !!

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
Does the kit come with the tuning software needed?

Yes, software is always an integral part of our supercharger systems.

The system is 100% all-inclusive, meaning that in one purchase you will have everything you need for a successful installation with absolutely no other required supporting modifications or upgrades.

·
Registered
310 Posts
What is entailed in install? Does the engine need to come out? How many hours labor estimated?
Off the top of my head it seems like installing the new low pressure fuel pump would require dropping the motor. That's what's kept me from doing it (albeit V10).

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
Dropping the motor is NOT required.
It's not even recommended, as it wouldn't save any time, or make any of the necessary steps any easier.
(And for the record, it's not required on the V10 either.)

The installation on the 4.2L V8 is simpler than the Gen1 V10 in a number of ways.

In terms of it being a DIY job ... that really comes down to the level of technical ability by the enthusiast, as well as your access to a professional in the event that you do end up needing diagnostic or troubleshooting support.

We try to explain to those who do ask about the 'DIY' potential that it's not just about the physical ability to turn a wrench and get the system itself installed ... it's more about whether you can find your way through any difficulties that arise (inadvertently of course) if you miss a step / make a mistake / have a component failure that's not related to the supercharger /etc... which is very well possible if you've never done this level of work before.

Most of our experienced installers will be able to complete the job in 3-4 days (and adding a day of it's a Spyder). That puts the estimated labor at around $4,500 - $5,500 which for some is a healthy chunk of change they'd like to save if possible, but for others will be a healthy dose of peace of mind, knowing that the responsibility is in the hands of a professional with prior experience.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey @VF-Engineering, would replacing the clutch be something that would be any easier to do during the regular course of this supercharger install, or is that a part of the car that you're not really touching?

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
Hey @VF-Engineering, would replacing the clutch be something that would be any easier to do during the regular course of this supercharger install, or is that a part of the car that you're not really touching?
There's no advantage of changing the clutch during the install, unless your particular installer is willing to give you a break simply for the sake of grouping multiple jobs together while your vehicle is in the workshop.

(Also keep in mind that you wouldn't be doing a clutch UNLESS you're already in need of one, or near what has been determined as the end of the lifespan of your current clutch.)

What would be beneficial during the install process is the carbon cleaning since the manifold is coming off as part of the process. For those who have not recently done a carbon cleaning, this would be a great idea to build into the scope of work and reduce a portion of the normal labor cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love my v8. Would rather pay 20k then upgrade. But then again if i was upgrading, i wouldnt be upgrading to another gen1 r8.
@VF-Engineering is shipping to aus possible? And You guys Recommend anyone here to do the works?

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
I love my v8. Would rather pay 20k then upgrade. But then again if i was upgrading, i wouldnt be upgrading to another gen1 r8.
@VF-Engineering is shipping to aus possible? And You guys Recommend anyone here to do the works?
I'll send you a quick DM later this morning.

We have multiple dealers in Australia with recent experience with our Supercharger Systems.
There should be no problem referring you to a Certified Installer!

·
Supporting Vendor
432 Posts
Any 60-100mph, 60-130mph, or 1/4mi times with the new kit?
Coming soon!

We'll be posting some DRAGY results soon, and may possibly have a magazine test scheduled for early 2020.

181 - 200 of 205 Posts