Audi R8 Forums banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Car is up and running! :) Mike had to go through 3 different files to try to recover the ECU but the guys at VF managed to make it all good. Everyone who's car has been previously tuned by some other company - be aware! This was the problem my tune originally failed. The last tuner didn't correctly correct the ECU modulus causing my ECU to lock up. Nothing the guys at VF could have been aware before, but if anyone has another tune and wants the HEX tune, this is definately something to look out for.

The burbles are and loud and clear, some ocasionally pop really loud. The only downside right now is the gas / accelerator being kind a "stuck" or the RPM's not really dropping so fast as I was used to before. If I recall correctly I remember somebody had thins same issue after the first tune and I'm sure this is somethig what can be remapped and fixed, but for now I'll keep it like this since I'm going away for a couple of days and I'll come back to this next week when hopefully VF guys have adjusted the tune a bit.

It's been a real bumpy ride but I'm glad everything worked out just fine :)
Nice :) So lucky, hopefully VF gets mine sorted.

I had the same issue where it doesn't drop the rpm, so I had it retuned which brought me into this situation.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice :) So lucky, hopefully VF gets mine sorted.

I had the same issue where it doesn't drop the rpm, so I had it retuned which brought me into this situation.
Weird, I had the RPM not dropping issue and they sent me a new tune which solved that. Only had to reflash with the OBD.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Weird, I had the RPM not dropping issue and they sent me a new tune which solved that. Only had to reflash with the OBD.
Yeah I had no issues before, reflashing the ECU. Did it a few times, looks like I drew the short straw this time with the revised tune. I guess, I should've left it as is in hindsight. :(

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah I had no issues before, reflashing the ECU. Did it a few times, looks like I drew the short straw this time with the revised tune. I guess, I should've left it as is in hindsight. :(
All of these one-off issues with VF tunes are why I returned my cable without ever installing the tune. I'd rather have a wonderful stock R8 than a tuned R8 with intermittent issues.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think that’s a bit unfounded. VF has successfully tuned thousands of v10’s with their “shelf” tune, which is very tried and true. It’s when people want all kinds of custom features written in that issues can arise. As VF informed me, there are dozens of ecu versions for our cars, dozens.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think that’s a bit unfounded. VF has successfully tuned thousands of v10’s with their “shelf” tune, which is very tried and true. It’s when people want all kinds of custom features written in that issues can arise. As VF informed me, there are dozens of ecu versions for our cars, dozens.
So a stock 2014 V8 STronic is a "custom feature" request? My experience with VF was not as positive as others. Support took awhile to respond, My 2014 V8 STronic was considered a "special" build and Tunes are not VF's bread and butter. They are typically tuning against their SC kit. Not the standalone tunes like APR or others.

Half the people that sing VF's praises are the guys that are constantly talking about how great their support is. If you're using their support that much then there is something off with the product. Just saying.

If I buy a Sony TV and im constantly on with their support, then I'm returning the TV.

·
Registered
372 Posts
So a stock 2014 V8 STronic is a "custom feature" request? My experience with VF was not as positive as others. Support took awhile to respond, My 2014 V8 STronic was considered a "special" build and Tunes are not VF's bread and butter. They are typically tuning against their SC kit. Not the standalone tunes like APR or others.

Half the people that sing VF's praises are the guys that are constantly talking about how great their support is. If you're using their support that much then there is something off with the product. Just saying.

If I buy a Sony TV and im constantly on with their support, then I'm returning the TV.
They are pretty slow. I had to flash my car back to stock for Smog and since they did my tune in house, I didnt have the tuned file to flash to after the smog was done. I requested they send me the file (something that was right in their database, no tuning work involved) and lets just say I still dont have it. Its been a month.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I requested they send me the file (something that was right in their database, no tuning work involved) and lets just say I still dont have it. Its been a month.
This ^ - I had to ask for a refund and ship my cable back before I received an email from support saying they were available to help anytime I needed. This was at least two weeks after I had emailed their general support mailbox, posted on the forum and texted Gary at VF. Gary was responsive when I was able to get a hold of him. VF support can't just be Gary.

Good luck with your tune APOLLOSKI.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not my VF experience at all, always prompt, spot on, and knowledgeable. My V10 is so strong right now!

·
Supporting Vendor
425 Posts

Just wanted to add some clarification, and maybe a little bit of context to the last
couple pages of posts.​
...Tunes are not VF's bread and butter. They are typically tuning against their SC kit. Not the standalone tunes like APR or others.
While the supercharger products are more exciting and aspirational from purely
a marketing perspective, software is hands down our primary product and where
the bulk of our day-to-day efforts are spent.

Where we may supercharge between 75-100 Audi R8's per year, we sell to and
support close to 4 or 5 X's that number of software customers.

In regards to the seemingly higher number of "issues" than normal in recent
months, we'd like people to remember that we are currently one of the only
(if not THE only) company who is able to provide OBDII Port Flashing at the
end user level ... meaning that the ability to flash between stock/performance
software entirely only your own - with nothing more than our HEX Flash cable
and your laptop
- is truly a unique feature.

In being able to provide this sort of functionality at the consumer level, there
will occasionally be (albeit still incredibly rare) some hiccups along the way.

In the case for Common who is located in Estonia, there was a conflict related
to the fact that his ECU was previously tuned by a 3rd party. In knightsaber's
case we were trying to provide an additional feature (throttle overrun / burble)
that has been in high demand, but not something that we have ever officially
offered for Gen1 V10 applications.

And the only other minor issues that we occasionally run into are typically
related to fulfillment times when we run into software versions that are not
readily available in our database. These may take extra time to fulfill, but
that is simply just a matter of remaining patient, while the vehicle is still
100% operable with the stock file.

These are rare occurrences, for incredibly different reasons, and understandably
can be reason for caution for those who may be new to tuning. What we hope
to be able to provide in lieu of what's been discussed over the last few pages
is that we are constantly improving the user interface & installation process
in order to ensure fewer and fewer of these sorts of anomalies to occur.

And while we also agree that the best customer service is the customer
service you DO NOT need to rely on
, we do hope people can see that we do
not take such issues for granted, and when they do arise we do our best to
respond/reply accordingly... even after hours, on weekends, by test message
and WhatsAPP, etc...

·
Registered
399 Posts
It's back to life after 5 weeks, So happy :) :D

I really have to thank Mike & Nik and the entire VF team for going above and beyond, after hours responding to my annoying messages and constant calls. I'm so grateful it's all sorted at this point, flashed back to stock for now and hopefully end of today a new tune will be ready that fixes the gear holding issue.

Personally, I understand that nothings 100% and there's always going to be an anomaly and I have absolute trust in Nik and his team at VF are one of the best in the world in terms of R8/Lambo tuning.

·
Registered
587 Posts
^ Great to hear, and I agree with everything you said!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice! Let us know how the new flash goes and if the RPM issue is resolved. I was away from home last week and this week have been busy moving, hopefully I'll find some time later this week to also try the new fine what Mike said should fix the RPM problem. I'll let him remote tune it because I'm afraid to screw something up because of the last troubles.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice! Let us know how the new flash goes and if the RPM issue is resolved. I was away from home last week and this week have been busy moving, hopefully I'll find some time later this week to also try the new fine what Mike said should fix the RPM problem. I'll let him remote tune it because I'm afraid to screw something up because of the last troubles.
Will do, drove it a bit today. Definitely could tell the difference from stock to tuned. Will continue to monitor before I can comment whether it will fix the rpm issue.

Same, left it to Nik to remote tune it and they triple checked it before applying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got an update and it's not a fun one. One of my ECU's went bad the other morning. Reason - moisture damage for having it opened before and poorly sealing it. God I'm so sick and tired of this whole tuning thing. One of the chips was fried inside and I really don't know what route to go. I reached out to VF if they have any used ECUs so we could replace it or another way is to buy a brand new from the dealer but this still might give problems because one would be stock and other tuned and theres no way to find this out before connecting it to the computer. I might just end up buying 2 new ECUs and running the car stock from there on.

Any suggestions?

141 - 157 of 157 Posts