Audi R8 Forums banner

vf hex tuned R8 v10 manual

39K views 156 replies 30 participants last post by  GR8NJR8 
#1 ·
My R8 is a 2012 v10 manual. I sent ecu to VF for the hex tune last month and also added the pop and crack effect.
Car has been acting up after the tune. 1st gear between half and full throttle after 3k rpm the car rock back and forth. It felt like a huge turbo lag and the turbo had been turn on and off on and off as long even my feet is on the throttle very steadily.
Also at 4th or 5th gear gear between half and full throttle over 5k rpm my car started Shaking. I can see the speedometer struggle to go up to 6k rpm as if the car is struggle for fuel.

Dropped off my R8 at Motorwerks houston the day before which is a VF authorized dealer so that vf can diagnose the problem.
Shout out to Travis at Motorwerks and Abe at VF sales department for being on top of the issue.

However the vf tech department has been a little slow in responding.
My guess is the pop and crackle effect is throwing the ecu off on throttle mapping and fuel.
Will keep y’all posted.

#4 ·
Thanks for the update.
I'm in Canada.. doing the exhaust / and ECU this week all from Velocity AP. (Stuart D has been great!)
We are going to dyno first, then do all the work.... and finish with a dyno ...(looking forward to seeing the results)
Also air intake will be K&N
My car is a 2011 V10 Spyder
Doug

#5 ·
Pop and crack effect? Didn't know you can add that via a tune

Is that to be made to sound like a gen 2 R8 or a Huracan ?

#12 ·
My Viper did the pop and crackle thing after changing the exhaust and I did not like it. I know it's personal preference, not for me. The sound I get when downshifting in Sport Mode is enough for me.

#14 ·
A little update. Travis from Motorwerk called me last Friday and told me that VF is working on a OBD II port flash for all 2012 r8 so that we don’t have to mail them the ecu every time we need to tune or detune. Hope I’ll have some good news for y’all 2012 owners by the end of this week

#37 ·
I've gotten word VF can now do the flash via the obd port for the 2012-15 cars.

Just need to give them time to finish up before they do an official release.

Any day now guys! :cool:

#43 ·
Major update: got my r8 back today, running as it should!
Driving: felt the power gain right away! Sharper throttle response as if I still had my paddle box. I was at the drag strip the week before and running low 12 seconds fully stock. I did some pulls today and the car definitely pulled harder over 3000 rpm, hitting 8500rpm much faster and causing me to miss my shift point from 2nd to 3rd as I was still in the shifting at the “slower” rev build up mode. Added Crackle effect is there to entertain during normal commute. I was rolling with a stock Huracan 580 and my tuned r8 sounded more like a super car according to the passengers.
The cause for my previous issue: Contaminated or damaged ECU when it was removed and shipped to VF initially. VF went above and beyond by replacing the ECU at their own cost. I was not aware of this until today.
The verdict: since hex tune is now available via OBD II port flashing for 12-15 r8 owners, the risk of damaging the ecu is eliminated. The tune itself is rock solid, so I would recommend it to all v10 owners! Best mods on my r8 by far!
Even though I had to go through some hurdles during the process, the end result is satisfying enough for me to say it is all worth it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.