Discussion Starter #1
Question is, who has done one?

Is it reliable? If you had issues what?

How many miles do you have on it?

Was it worth it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought one used and drove it from CA to FL. Its got about 5k miles on it now 53k miles on the engine. Not one issue, absolutely love it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good morning fellow R8 owners,

I had the new VF V8 Supercharger installed from a VF recommended shop in Orlando 10 mos ago. The shop was top notch and had previously installed VF SC's on V10's and Huracans. All pre- installation recommendations on VF website were done.

• Transmission
    Our system is compatible with all 3 transmissions offered in the R8 V8 (Manual, R-Tronic, and S-Tronic).
    Standard power can be managed by a healthy stock clutch.

Exhaust
    Compatible with a stock exhaust, and most cat-back exhaust systems

Pre-Installation Recommendations
    Address any existing CEL
    Perform a compression and leak down test
    Repair or replace warn sensors
    Perform a Carbon cleaning
    Check Clutch Health/Life
This is VF's newest (more powerful) V8 system which I believe was limited to 19 units and is currently sold out.
( Audi R8 V8 Supercharger (2007 - 2015) -Currently Unavailable- )

As the VF website says, this SC is "bolt on" and can be used with stock drivetrain parts. Therefore at the time, only the full SC kit was installed..

My car is 2012 V8 MT with a Quicksilver exhaust, and 22k miles at the time of install. Clutch life was checked to be healthy at install time.

Since install I have only driven the car about 600 miles (NOT a tracked car/ launched car/ overly aggressively driven).

The manual V8 clutch started to slip last month, as was confirmed by seasoned supercar technicians at a high end shop down here in South FL, where the car currently is.

I had a new OEM V10 clutch and flywheel etc installed. 3 weeks ago.

Within 20 miles of the new clutch install, the drivers rear axle broke at the bearing housing (pictures attached). Luckily, when this happened I was only going 5-10mph, and I pulled right over with the horrible clanking sound, and shut the car off immediately. However, the spinning loose axle took out the power steering pump and an oil cannister and hose with it.

Currently the axles have been sent out to Drive Shaft Shop in NC to get new splines and associated parts to transform these into racing axles capable of handling more hp/torque.

Nick at VF says this is not related to his newest V8 SC, and no financial compensation will be provided. I think its suspect that all these significant (and EXPENSIVE) problems happened so quickly after the install. My 2 local veteran shop technicians say they feel these problems are directly related to the V8 OEM parts not being able to handle the power increase the newest VF SC delivers.

Despite Nick saying otherwise, I doubt this product was significantly road tested on Manual transmission V8 vehicles. I feel extremely lucky that this didn't happen to my wife and I while we were driving on a highway. Could've been deadly.

Curious to hear members thoughts.

Pictures attached.

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
That's terrible @Bgetty1 - Hopefully you're back up and running soon!
I've contemplated the SC for mine, however the risks and potential downside outweigh any additional enjoyment I may gain.

Not to go off on a tangent, but I think part of the V8's character comes from it's perfectly balanced power offering and the ability to use 100% of the car at any time in a controlled manner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's terrible @Bgetty1 - Hopefully you're back up and running soon!
I've contemplated the SC for mine, however the risks and potential downside outweigh any additional enjoyment I may gain.

Not to go off on a tangent, but I think part of the V8's character comes from it's perfectly balanced power offering and the ability to use 100% of the car at any time in a controlled manner.
I had researched VF SC's and heard nothing but great things prior to install. Then again- this is a new product for them and none of the people I spoke to had this particular SC.
I personally felt the car needed a bit more power but didn't want to shop for a new car. I love the Gen 1 R8 look and the gated MT driving experience.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have a Gen1 supercharger from VF on ours and it has been great. It is a street car and track car. Have had zero issues with it. The new V8 Gen2 supercharger does offer more power now than the Gen 1. But this is the first I've heard of it causing the axles to break. I have a couple customers contemplating getting the SC for their V8's. Especially after going for a ride in ours. Also it performs great on the track, if you're wanting to track your car at all.

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
We make way more power in the V8 with turbos and don’t have those issues.

The installer should have recommended a clutch, they wear extremely quickly on NA cars. At least you should have been warned it won’t take long to go if you weren’t changing at the time!

The Left side driveshaft snapping is not uncommon in this world with launches, not saying you launched it but just bad luck that it failed and wiped parts out in your scenario.

Top and bottom, adding 50% more people always carries exponential risk to parts. It’s not the tuners fault your car broke, just luck of the draw!

Glad you are safe!

Cheers Ricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
We make way more power in the V8 with turbos and don’t have those issues.

The installer should have recommended a clutch, they wear extremely quickly on NA cars. At least you should have been warned it won’t take long to go if you weren’t changing at the time!

The Left side driveshaft snapping is not uncommon in this world with launches, not saying you launched it but just bad luck that it failed and wiped parts out in your scenario.

Top and bottom, adding 50% more people always carries exponential risk to parts. It’s not the tuners fault your car broke, just luck of the draw!

Glad you are safe!

Cheers Ricky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Walking away without injury is obviously the most important thing. Money is just money.

Had the VF website and techs recommended upgrading the clutch, axles, or other parts, I would have pulled the trigger on everything at that time of the SC install.

Advertising the SC however as "bolt on" and "compatible with all 3 transmission" types I feel just isn't the case based on my unfortunate recent experiences.

Every trip to the shop adds many hours of labor and cost that could've been avoided with one BIG job at the start.

And furthermore, I could have potentially avoided the associated safety issues I was quite possibly exposing myself to.

Hope these new upgraded racing axles do the trick and I can go out and enjoy the car again.

She's sweet when she's not on a lift.

Thanks again for your comments.

Drive safe out there.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Walking away without injury is obviously the most important thing. Money is just money.

Had the VF website and techs recommended upgrading the clutch, axles, or other parts, I would have pulled the trigger on everything at that time of the SC install.

Advertising the SC however as "bolt on" and "compatible with all 3 transmission" types I feel just isn't the case based on my unfortunate recent experiences.

Every trip to the shop adds many hours of labor and cost that could've been avoided with one BIG job at the start.

And furthermore, I could have potentially avoided the associated safety issues I was quite possibly exposing myself to.

Hope these new upgraded racing axles do the trick and I can go out and enjoy the car again.

She's sweet when she's not on a lift.

Thanks again for your comments.

Drive safe out there.
Being an Audi tech for many years, the damage to your car is abuse likely from the original shop that did they SC, I would bet my life on it. As I doubt your drive that hard on your car. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Being an Audi tech for many years, the damage to your car is abuse likely from the original shop that did they SC, I would bet my life on it. As I doubt your drive that hard on your car. Am I wrong?
I don’t drive hard at all.
The shop in Orlando came highly recommended from Vf directly and had experience installing v10 VF superchargers on Audis and Lamborghinis.
many ultra high end cars have all their work done there.

·
Super Moderator
3,612 Posts
My V8 put 20k miles on the VF first gen and is now equipped with the VF second gen. We put in the V10 clutch during the first installation. I've experienced no reliability issues at all, now at 40k miles. The car is set up for and primarily driven hard on the track. Never launched, though, as I see no point in subjecting it to that kind of abuse.

Reactions: philyphil13

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2009 V8 manual. I put the VF supercharger on it at 20,000 miles. I now have 170,000 miles on the car. I track it heavily, Daytona, Sebring, and Homestead. The clutch from the V8 can't handle the power. It also has very unpleasant characteristics if you drive it on the street. The clutch from the V10 works much better. It's really the heavier flywheel that makes the difference. I have had zero problems with the supercharger. Other than changing the belt regularly, and two tensioner pulley changes, I have been 0 additional maintenance on the supercharger. I agree that the original normally aspirated V8 needed more power. For me, the supercharger, Tubi exhaust, K&N filters, and a completely remapped engine program have solved that problem. If you decide to track it, be careful. In it's stock configuration, the car becomes unstable over a hundred sixty miles per hour. It builds up a pressure bubble underneath and it starts bouncing up and down. It got quite scary on the back stretch at Sebring and the front and back stretches of Daytona. I'm now running Öhlins stage 3 coilovers and I have the PPI razor GT aerodynamic package, and those have solved that problem completely. I've had the car up to over a hundred and eighty on the track without any issues. Like others have suggested, I think your axle issue was just the unfortunate luck of the draw. I used to replace the axles on my RS6 on a regular basis. I never had one fail, but the dust covers would tear. I always replaced them before they had a problem. I wonder if you had that same unfortunate circumstance of a torn seal that was missed. With the ensuing water incursion, maybe that's what caused it to fail. They were cheap to replace before they were broken. Looks like something I'm going to have my mechanic look for on a regular basis now.
CX9A2505 (1).JPG

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts