Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some answers about which tune is better and why? Both VF and ARP tunes are good and I have not seen anyone report any issues so far. Please share your experience if you have one of these tunes especially on a non-plus car?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I went with VF because of the ability to tune and detune myself at any time, via the hex cable/software. I didn't want to have to go to the tuner, even if it was free.

·
Registered
940 Posts
ARP??
I'm a silent partner in a local APR shop, so it would have been foolish for me to go with anybody else.
The tune is great! I did it in conjunction with a new exhaust, so together they really livened up the soundtrack.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with VF because of the ability to tune and detune myself at any time, via the hex cable/software. I didn't want to have to go to the tuner, even if it was free.[/QUOTE
Can you tell a big difference in performance? Do you recommend it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ARP??
I'm a silent partner in a local APR shop, so it would have been foolish for me to go with anybody else.
The tune is great! I did it in conjunction with a new exhaust, so together they really livened up the soundtrack.
What about the performance. Can you tell a big difference compared to stock?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I also went with the VF due to it being more convenient. You'll notice the power up high, especially if you have a base. Worth the money for base people. They also have excellent customer service!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I went for the APR and love it. The increase in performance although not shattering is noticeable and can be felt throughout the rev range and not just at the top end. It also adds to the aural experience with more volume and a few cracks on the over run.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently did the APR tune at Harmony Motors in Asheville NC They are an Audi dealer and APR tuner. They did a great job and did not have to remove my ECU. At the same time I installed a Akrapovic exhaust so between the two both my wife and I could feel a noticeable seat of the pants difference. The car also sounds much better with the tune and exhaust.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dane, mind you the responses you're getting right now are predominantly from Gen 1 owners (look through the profiles).

Take feedback with a grain of salt.

VF is a much more dedicated Gen 2 R8 / Huracan tuner than APR with their generic "we support, tune, and work on everything audi" philosophy. I was literally hanging out with Nik, the owner of VF, on Sunday as he flew down to NYC to fine-tune one of the huracans that has his supercharger kit. The man takes his craft seriously - that is not to say APR doesn't, but you can't expect the same level of dedication to a few core models like the R8 the way VF does, from a company as large and diverse as APR in comparison.

TLDR: VF all the way.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a Gen 2 base and the choice of either tune. I went with VF because of their longstanding history of working with the V10. I felt a difference across the rev range due to the additional torque and the top end has been opened up. I track the car and have before and after data to show what the VF tune, in isolation, result in. With no other changes to the car, I picked up 4mph on the back straight at VIR. That straight is a good barometer of the car and not the driver because of the slow corner leading into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a plus and went with VF, no gains at all. I am assuming that for base models it will work fine as the plus maintains its performance figures. Also the fact that you can tune and go back to stock on your own is very convenient.

·
Supporting Vendor
423 Posts

With no intention to distract from real-world / first-person reviews
and feedback ... we just thought we'd remind people of the two
incentives we offer for all of our normally aspirated tuning options.

1) 30-day, no questions asked, return policy

2) Full 100% credit towards future supercharger upgrade

These two incentives alone should lower the barrier of entry and
eliminate any concerns as to whether our software is "worth it" or
not.

If it's not worth every penny you spent, simply return it!

If you do enjoy the software, but end up still looking for even MORE
power in the future
, you are eligible for a full credit of the purchase
price to be applied towards any of our supercharger options.

All bias aside, the software is no-brainer for any standard (540bhp) V10
model as it bridges the gap to the PLUS model (610bhp), and then some!

The benefit for the PLUS model is obviously not as great as the non-PLUS
models, but still very much noticeable for those who may not yet be ready
to add forced induction. Even our Huracan Performante (630bhp) customers
seem to be pleased, which is the highest power class offered by Audi/Lamb.

·
Vendor
32 Posts
We tune a handful of Gen2 R8's on a regular basis and pick up great power gains. We offer a handheld device with our software to allow the users to flash back to their stock file if they ever needed - super easy to do.

We just finished up a Riviera Blue Plus the other week - customer called back after the weekend and was stunned by how much better she moves now.

I'd love to chat more! Sending you a PM now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We tune a handful of Gen2 R8's on a regular basis and pick up great power gains. We offer a handheld device with our software to allow the users to flash back to their stock file if they ever needed - super easy to do.

We just finished up a Riviera Blue Plus the other week - customer called back after the weekend and was stunned by how much better she moves now.

I'd love to chat more! Sending you a PM now.
Good talking with you today :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts