Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this video from Winding Road ... 4minutes long ... just about to start watching ... back soon ...

Click here

·
Registered
647 Posts
Paul,
Did you like it?
Same thing as in Popular Mechanics video-that drive train noise when he is shifting... Apparently they did not fix some things in R-Tronic since it is behaving more or less same as e-gear in Gallardo.

I like the sound and car overall apperance, but R-Tronic? Hmm... Still no I think. I drove 997 turbo(manual) today and IMHO it is the way to drive true sportscar...

As I said before-if you consider R-Tronic test drive in current 520hp e-gear Gallardo is a must.
For all of you who order R-Tronic-please do that! Test drive e-gear Gallardo and find out if you like that gearbox! Later it will be too late since your R8 will be here! Just a very friendly warning...

·
Registered
564 Posts
imho its a very nice movie.. i like the R8 with darker color then the SBs

twice i heard something like the rev limiter before changing gear...right? they are really pushing those cars..

what will happen with them if they are "used",... will they get recycled?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Interesting how little it leans in this video, given that it's going pretty quickly round this corner...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Paul,
Did you like it?
Same thing as in Popular Mechanics video-that drive train noise when he is shifting... Apparently they did not fix some things in R-Tronic since it is behaving more or less same as e-gear in Gallardo.

I like the sound and car overall apperance, but R-Tronic? Hmm... Still no I think. I drove 997 turbo(manual) today and IMHO it is the way to drive true sportscar...

As I said before-if you consider R-Tronic test drive in current 520hp e-gear Gallardo is a must.
For all of you who order R-Tronic-please do that! Test drive e-gear Gallardo and find out if you like that gearbox! Later it will be too late since your R8 will be here! Just a very friendly warning...
My father is already certain about his R-tronic. :(
Let's hope it's not to bad...:)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Paul,
Did you like it?
In a word ... Yes ... :D
Seeing more and more video clips is useful ... the sounds and look of the car in motion are very nice ... best from front and back and small angles off from being directly in front or behind ... with the full on side view being probably the worst viewing angle ... on manual or R-Tronic choice ... I'm becoming more and more certain to leave my order as a manual ... whilst the reviews are positive, up to a certain point, I don't think I'll be changing my order to R-Tronic ... unless I can get a test drive in one and find I love it ... or if I can drive the manual and find I hate using the open gate ... which I think is unlikely!
My dealer is looking to arrange a test drive in an eGear Gallardo in a couple of months ... no rush just yet and the weather in the UK is not ideal much at this time of year ... and obviously I'll be able to use that to help make my final decision.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Paul,
I heard on friday that Audi UK will be holding some driving days for people on the list to try the car. I had been querying Audi as to whether I could change from Rtronic to Manual and was told that depending where you are on the list you can change your order after the driving day. I placed my order in Feb 06 and was told that I would not be in the initial batch coming to the UK and that there would be sufficient time to change spec.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Paul,

Open gate is the only thing that I do not like that much... Some people love that klick-klick sound when they change gears, but I am not such a huge fan of it. You can get tired of it on long drive(say more then 400km)... And our wife's(or compainons)? Will they be impressed with klick-klick sound? I know what my wife told me after watching Autoexpress video "Oh! This sound(klick-klick) will be the same on our(!!) R8?"...

BTW, her favourite color is Phantom Black/Lava Grey! So, I will join you Paul in color combo apparently...

Manual or R-Tronic? Manual for me. I am sure that R-Tronic will be good, but reliable? Well, count on at least few visits to your Audi service because of the software updates in first year or so... The same thing was with F430F1, Gallardo and M5/M6.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul,
I heard on friday that Audi UK will be holding some driving days for people to the list to try the car. I had been querying Audi as to whether I could change from Rtronic to Manual and was told that depending where you are on the list you can change your order after the driving day. I placed my order in Feb 06 and was told that I would not be in the initial batch coming to the UK and that there would be sufficient time to change spec.
I have a horrible feeling I might struggle to make the initial batch of cars coming to the UK in 2007 ... although I hope I'm mistaken.

I have spoken to my dealer about this ... Audi are being typically noncommital ... as they often seem to be about most things R8 ... I certainly hope I will get the opportunity to drive both the manual and R-Tronic before I have to finalise my order ... but if not I will at least take advantage of a test drive in an eGear Gallardo that my dealer should be able to line up for me.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Paul,

Open gate is the only thing that I do not like that much... Some people love that klick-klick sound when they change gears, but I am not such a huge fan of it. You can get tired of it on long drive(say more then 400km)... And our wife's(or compainons)? Will they be impressed with klick-klick sound? I know what my wife told me after watching Autoexpress video "Oh! This sound(klick-klick) will be the same on our(!!) R8?"...
I suppose like some things the 'klick klick' of the open gate is something of a personal thing ... I've not owned an open gate manual ... although I have driven an open gate Ferrari ... and I fully expect the R8 open gate to be much better than the thing I tried in that horrible red car!

BTW, her favourite color is Phantom Black/Lava Grey! So, I will join you Paul in color combo apparently...
lol ... ha ha ... :D

Manual or R-Tronic? Manual for me. I am sure that R-Tronic will be good, but reliable? Well, count on at least few visits to your Audi service because of the software updates in first year or so... The same thing was with F430F1, Gallardo and M5/M6.
Unless I fall in love with the eGear or R-Tronic ... depending on which I can get to drive ... I will be staying manual ... even with some 'klick klick' noises ... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts