Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vinyl wrapping the R8

*ps.. for those who care... on the 2nd video you will see the R8 both without and with the audi rings front hood insignia.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I caught this in a blog www.604racing.com/blog.htm, looks great. I wonder how you can deal with scratches on vinyl though.

I'm really interested in doing this, anyone know approx what cost would be like vs. painting?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
My detailer says you pretty much have to live with the scratches and scuff marks in the film. Does anyone have a solution (other than a redo)?

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It should cost about $3500 - 3800 USD. I don't think there is any easy and quick solutions to scratches and such. There are no repair kits where you heat some new vinyl to resurface a big scratch area. But you can easily have just that one body panel or section of the body recovered at only a small fraction of the whole cost. These vinyls are considerably thinner than a clear vinyl protection cover, but normal life should be about 3+ years. No sure if that is thinking with indoor garage use in mind or not.

But the great thing is, if you do get too bored at looking at that color, you just rip off the vinyl and you again have your original paint job in perfect shape, without any new extra expenses. That means you go from the original, to your new color, and then back to the perfect original, all over 3 years for about $1250 a year. Not bad.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Hmmm.... Maybe Flat Black or Matte Black! Or the Carbon Fiber look? Oh, how about lots of racer stickers and number panels like the R15? Nah, maybe Cunningham stripes, but then what color! Wrap it in the national flag?

Ohhhh man! Decisions, decisions! Makes my head hurt! :D

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Hmmm.... Maybe Flat Black or Matte Black! Or the Carbon Fiber look? Oh, how about lots of racer stickers and number panels like the R15? Nah, maybe Cunningham stripes, but then what color! Wrap it in the national flag?

Ohhhh man! Decisions, decisions! Makes my head hurt! :D
haha

In any case, vinyl might be a cool alternative to buying new blades, or doing mods like painting part of the hood another color etc.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Maybe Mqguires plastic polish will help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is a great alternative to new paint work. You can change your cars looks and colors anytime you want. Its good for little changes like numbers for your track days or even changing your roof color to Black like in thread about the Mtm R8r Vs Abt R8. When your tired of it or don't need it anymore just peel it off and your back to original.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
hey there, returning to an old topic but i'm really interested in doing this but somehow I don't know if it's the internet here or something else I just can't find the company who did the r8. I want to get a price quote and also wondering if anyoneelse did this. If so hows it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
hey there, returning to an old topic but i'm really interested in doing this but somehow I don't know if it's the internet here or something else I just can't find the company who did the r8. I want to get a price quote and also wondering if anyoneelse did this. If so hows it?
My R8 (the Stasis Mule) was wrapped by skinzwraps.com. They are dang good and great to work with (They flew to the Stasis shop twice to wrap, then fix the mirrors as I didn't like the first attempt) .They can design something crazy (ala Ferrari Challenge cars) or just go mellow... mine is matte black so don't do that. :) The Matte black is great, but it is very fragile to scratches and grease. My rep was great... [email protected].

Pics of my wrapped car here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kmarshall/20090103R8KIRBYPHOTOSHOOT#

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
OMG, K! Those are some awesome photos!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
kmarshall, your car is awesome. matte black looks so good especially with your rims and that red engine cover. i like your style. well i had matte black in mind aswell but the easily scratchable thing got me thinking. my car is already black so maybe like you said ill go crazy and do somethin different. anyways thank you for the response. drive safe

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks guys! The car is at Stasis as we speak getting some more R&D on it. This week should net some announcements on what was done and how it turned out.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
That Carrerra G T looks crazy in the wrap too !! :)

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Getting my roof done in Carbon and the rest in clear at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
Now that I do want to see !

What does the carbon wrap look like ?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Someone was worried about scratches on their wrap. Scratch and swirl remover on a polish pad with slow revs takes scratches off of plastics as well as clearcoats of paint. :eek: But removing scratches (minor ones ) from a MATT finish intrigues me. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
+1 .............

1 - 20 of 30 Posts