Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one buys an extended warranty from a dealer in another state, which states warranty laws apply? The seller's or the buyer's? I am thinking the seller's state laws apply but want to make sure.

·
Registered
Switzer GTR, Protomotive 996TT, RS4, 17 Suzuka R8
54 Posts
Thats a good question. I would think its the buyers.....I look at it like relocating for a job or moving to another area. Warranty would follow the buyer.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think it all depends on the warranty you are getting. If its an Audi Warranty it won't be an issue. Some aftermarket warranties are only for that state. But Some Dealers are offering warranties only exclusive to them to keep their customers. Is there a reason you are buying it from a dealer in a different state?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@SpeedOneMotorsports - I purchased a Fidelity Platinum warranty with Audi of Indianapolis, Indiana per recommendations from other R8 Talk members. I live in North Carolina. In the contract there is explicit language in terms of each states laws in terms of a warranty. In North Carolina, should I terminate the warranty, I am entitled to a pro-rated refund. Indiana has no such provision.

The only reason this question came up is for a brief period of time I was considering selling my R8. The Fidelity warranty will transfer to a private buyer but not to a dealer. Hence the question.

@ApexRS - I was told by a friend that the buyer's state governs the contract. I appreciate the feedback but posted the question in case anyone actually experienced the scenario presented above.

Thank you to you both for taking the time to reply.

Details below for those interested. Something to consider when purchasing a warranty from another state.

TRANSFER: YOU may transfer this Service Contract to another owner, but not to another vehicle. To transfer this Service Contract, YOU must mail the following three (3) items to FWS within thirty (30) days of transfer of vehicle ownership: (1) a completed Transfer Form (or a letter containing the name and address of the new owner and YOUR authorization to transfer); (2) a legible copy of the front page of this Service Contract; and (3) a check for $40 payable to FWS, for the transfer fee. This Service Contract may not be transferred to any entity in the business of selling or leasing motor vehicles.

INDIANA
: YOUR proof of payment to US for this Service Contract shall be considered proof of payment to the insurance company which guarantees OUR obligations to YOU, providing such insurance was in effect on the SERVICE CONTRACT PURCHASE DATE. This Service Contract is not insurance and is not subject to Indiana insurance law.

NORTH CAROLINA: If YOU cancel after thirty (30) days but within sixty (60) days, a one hundred percent (100%) refund of the SERVICE CONTRACT PURCHASE PRICE will be made, less an administration fee that FWS will charge and retain of $50 or ten percent (10%) of the SERVICE CONTRACT PURCHASE PRICE, whichever is less. If YOU cancel after sixty (60) days, a Pro-Rata refund of the SERVICE CONTRACT PURCHASE PRICE will be made based upon the greater of the time or mileage expired from the SERVICE CONTRACT PURCHASE DATE less an administration fee that FWS will charge and retain of $50 or ten percent (10%) of the Pro-Rata refund amount, whichever is less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.