Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
water going inside rear engine hatch louvers while washing my r8...is this normal?

hi guys, I love washing my audis the old school way...hose, bucket with soap, sponges and wheel brush. so once a week I would wash my r8 and when I'm done when I'm drying the car I always open up the frunk, doors and engine compartment to wipe and dry everything up. everything else I would say is normal except for the engine compartment...I notice lots of water going inside the louvers on both side then trickles down to where the spark plug wires are. is this normal? it never bothered me before but now it does bec knock on would what if the water goes inside the plugs. if this is normal for R8s then should I cover the whole engine with a plastic wrap? btw, I notice the left side gets wet more that the right...maybe I just sprayed more water on the left side or maybe I'm missing a louver part which I know I'm not. anyway, thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Dont spray directly into the vents. After foam washing mine, I only get little puddles on the side carbon pieces. No water in the middle area/engine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with the above (don't spray directly in the vents), but typically the channels under the vents get most of the water away from the engine.
I wouldn't worry a ton though, a little water shouldn't be a problem for the engine as long as the air filters stay dry (coil packs are sealed, connectors should be water tight, etc.) - plenty of people power-wash engine bays with no issues assuming they avoid the air filter/fuse box etc. (I would never on an R8, but still, shouldn't be any more delicate).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Same happens on mine. This is a design feature to allow hot air to escape the engine bay and also channel water away. There will always be a small amount that enters the engine bay unless you're angling the water into the vents.

·
Registered
580 Posts
very normal, but there's no need to splash directly into the vents unless u plan to wash the engine bay. Another way i do is point the pressure hose from the front of the roof towards the back (standing at the front of the car), that way the water wont get in directly

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
very normal, but there's no need to splash directly into the vents unless u plan to wash the engine bay. Another way i do is point the pressure hose from the front of the roof towards the back (standing at the front of the car), that way the water wont get in directly
This is exactly what I do - I always spray from front to back, so it's never going up into the vents. I get small drips of water on the carbon sides, but that's about it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
1.jpg

It's normal as long as you don't aim directly at the vents it should be fine. On the spyder, there's even large vents right above the engine and even that's fine, so the coupe shouldn't be an issue at all.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It’s definitely normal but very annoying. I have a GT coupe so the engine cover vents are much more exposed compared to the other R8 versions. As my engine bay is completely lined with matte carbon fibre panels, I have to wipe down the panels after every wash. Same thing when it rains as I park my car on the driveway, unfortunately I don’t have a covered garage to park in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get this as well. Not a ton but enough that when I am done washing the car, I have to go in the engine bay and clean up the rear window and engine covers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
truly appreciate it guys...glad its normal for this to happen. I actually don't spray it directly and do the "front to back" sweep as well but sometimes when I put a lot of soap I tend to spray more on some parts of the vents to remove the suds. it is definitely annoying having to dry so much in the engine bay after every wash. I think I'll just cover the engine with a small clean plastic tarp just to protect the plugs. good thing about this is my engine bay is spotless...not a speck of dust:). again, thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hi guys, I love washing my audis the old school way...hose, bucket with soap, sponges and wheel brush. so once a week I would wash my r8 and when I'm done when I'm drying the car I always open up the frunk, doors and engine compartment to wipe and dry everything up. everything else I would say is normal except for the engine compartment...I notice lots of water going inside the louvers on both side then trickles down to where the spark plug wires are. is this normal? it never bothered me before but now it does bec knock on would what if the water goes inside the plugs. if this is normal for R8s then should I cover the whole engine with a plastic wrap? btw, I notice the left side gets wet more that the right...maybe I just sprayed more water on the left side or maybe I'm missing a louver part which I know I'm not. anyway, thanks for the help in advance.
I use a couple of strips of painter's tape over the louvers when washing. Cuts down on the engine bay wipedown every time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use a couple of strips of painter's tape over the louvers when washing. Cuts down on the engine bay wipedown every time.

I was thinking of this as well but then if I cover it I went be able to soap the louvers properly...sorry I have a little bit of OCD lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s definitely normal but very annoying. I have a GT coupe so the engine cover vents are much more exposed compared to the other R8 versions. As my engine bay is completely lined with matte carbon fibre panels, I have to wipe down the panels after every wash. Same thing when it rains as I park my car on the driveway, unfortunately I don’t have a covered garage to park in.

sorry to hear that you have to park your r8 outside...hopefully someday you'll be able to put it inside the garage. maybe you could purchase those portable car tents so at least it protects your car from extreme heat/rain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts