Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I washed my car on Sunday. I have serious water leaking into the engine compartment in the middle of the rear window. My mirrors are stuck in the retracted position. Yes, I turned the mirror knob back.

When I took my car into the dealer this morning he also said there were eight recall items on my car. The dealer said it would take at least three hours to complete the recalls. My car was delivered at the end of November. When I checked two weeks ago there were no recalls. Others may want to check on recalls for their vehicles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Water will leak into the the engine compartment. It is not designed to be water tight. The engine compartment needs to be dried just like the rest of the car. Suprised me upon my first wash as well. I was thinking of adding the CF to the engine compartment to make it easier to clean. I also think the CF will resist water spotting better than the factory plastic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I too noticed the first wash...water in the engine compartment and your right...the carbon makes it easier to wipe down.
I could find no recalls on the '09s. Anybody?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do not use a pressure washer on the rear window or around where it closes against the body. As already noted, it is not designed to be water tight.

Water draining through the engine compartment is normal.

As regards the mrror, did you turn the knob back to the normal position with the ignition on or off ???

With the engine on, try turning it to the fold position, wait a few seconds, then turn it back to normal.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the engine compartment water leak. :eek:)

Dealer could not get the mirrors back to normal position either. I tried every scenario. No luck.

The dealer told me there were eight recall items. They must be really recent since there was nothing two weeks ago.

When I get my car back from the dealer I will post what they corrected.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
Some person (who will remain unnamed but is my wife) unfolded my mirrors by hand, and I had a mirror disconnect on the RH side; it took quite a few repeated cycles of electric fold/unfold until there finally was a click (or clunk?) and the mirror reconnected.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer said the mirrors needed re-programing. ??? I thought it was just a switch. I gently tried to move my mirrors out. They were locked in-place.

They are keeping my car over night since they do not have the parts for all of the recalls. News at 6...tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
M r8 sheds water real good.It does'nt like getting squirt UP the rear window/hatchvents. You can stick your fingers straight through the vents. Before leaving town I bumped/folded one mirror in accidently.Very little resistance.What procedure to extend mirror when I get back to her?

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I asked the tech what he did to get my mirrors working again. He used the scan tool and went into the mirror system, tested it, reset it and it is now working again. He said the mirrors can be folded in or out manually by a jealous jerk or by accident but they will not stay where you want them with the switch without the scan tool reset.

I hope this helped.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Not really.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess you will need to take your car into the dealer if you don't have a scan tool.

·
Registered
180 Posts
So far the only service bulletin I can find for the 2009 model, dated 11-19-2008 is for the Audi wheel bolts requiring torque adjustment. #TSB-44-08-14

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received my car back today. The service manager told me the "service action number is CX" I have no clue what that means. They did tell me they relocated the radio antenna receiver because it was reportedly shorting out in the original location.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Vag-Com obd 2 interface.Supports VAG-COM version 409.1. Is available for 269.00. Scan tool at motorscan,S. Africa division

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spoke to my dealer today about poor wiper blades (anyone else with this?) I was told there was numerous recall issues to be sorted and they wanted the car for two days! It's going in for the work next week will post what they do....

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Live at leeds...Blade material or mechanical workings?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts