Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I lower and then raise my driver's side window, it comes back up with an oily streak about 4" wide on the inside of the window about a third of the way back from the front edge of the window (right in my field of vision). It can only be removed with glass cleaner.

I had hoped it would disappear as time passed, but it has not. Has anyone else had this problem. Can it be resolved without removing the door panel (and risking later rattles)?

Thanks for any help / advice.

·
Registered
274 Posts
this is what i would try:
with the window down, if you can get a clean rag into the "track" with some all purpose cleaner on it- rub it back and forth gently. check the rag. should see some grease. do this several times (turn the rag to a clean area or get another rag) until the grease is gone. you can finish off with a damp rag...
and then report back!!

When I lower and then raise my driver's side window, it comes back up with an oily streak about 4" wide on the inside of the window about a third of the way back from the front edge of the window (right in my field of vision). It can only be removed with glass cleaner.

I had hoped it would disappear as time passed, but it has not. Has anyone else had this problem. Can it be resolved without removing the door panel (and risking later rattles)?

Thanks for any help / advice.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the car at the dealer today to get the faulty damper and the engine relay replaced, so I asked the tech to look at the smearing on the window.

He said that because the window is frameless, it has a large track structure inside the door that the factory lubes heavily during assembly. So the grease is emanating from a point that cannot be reached without disassembling the door. He said the grease would eventually dissipate enough not to get on the window. As I did not want to risk creating rattles by taking off the interior door panel, I decided to give it some more time to see if it went away.

I'm still getting some smearing, but it is slowly beginning to be less thick in the middle and show primarily near the lower edge of the window. Maybe the tech will be proven right.

Now . . . after four shop visits in the first month, a new damper, a new engine relay, and a new brake sensor switch maybe I can drive the thing for a while and slowly shed the habit of worrying about what's going to break next.

(I got the J.D. Power Survey form last week and rated the R8 at the bottom of the scale for reliability. To pay half again as much as for a new Mercedes S-Class and to be constantly hauling the thing in for repair is ridiculous -- even if it is a semi-exotic. There is no ground-breaking technology involved in sensors, solenoids, and relays. It's just the result of bad sourcing procedures.)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Now . . . after four shop visits in the first month, a new damper, a new engine relay, and a new brake sensor switch maybe I can drive the thing for a while and slowly shed the habit of worrying about what's going to break next.

(I got the J.D. Power Survey form last week and rated the R8 at the bottom of the scale for reliability. To pay half again as much as for a new Mercedes S-Class and to be constantly hauling the thing in for repair is ridiculous -- even if it is a semi-exotic. There is no ground-breaking technology involved in sensors, solenoids, and relays. It's just the result of bad sourcing procedures.)
You are the man hmp. Give it to them! This sounds like the Fiat X19 i had 25 years ago. 4 visits in tje first month is really excessive and inexcuable.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Guys it must be your smooth roads and warm dry climate over there!! :p Our pothole infested 3rd world British roads and miserable cold wet winters seem to agree with the R8. No problems at all so far.:cool: :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoa . . . you've never apparently been to Chicago, home of the 50-degree temperature swings and instant Hummer-eating potholes.

A couple of weeks ago we took some friends to our favorite seafood restaurant on a Saturday night. In the wee hours of Sunday morning, a sinkhole 15' deep and 80' wide opened up right at the restaurant's front door and swallowed up the roadway, sidewalk, street lamps, parking meters, and a couple of rather unlucky cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts