Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer offered me a tire/wheel replacement program for $800. It lasts 5 years and is transferable. Not sure if it was through Audi or a company they upsell.

If anything ever happens to your tire or wheel, they replace it for free with the exact same thing. So if you get a flat, replace it. Curb or bend a wheel, replace it. For any reason, no questions asked.

Probably wouldn't get it on a cheaper car, but I think it's a pretty good deal considering how much these things cost for the R8.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
wow, that sounds like a very good deal - I take it it doesn't cover normal tyre wear, but even so that's cheap peace of mind given how wide the car is.

The only drawback I could see if I doubt they will replace the other tyre on the axle if you damage one of them which would throw the handling out if the wear difference was great but still cheap even accounting for that.

I was offered the 3yr service/tyre wear (not damage) plan that cost £119 (~$240) per month - £1,428 (~$2,800) per annum.

The tyre costs I was quoted were:

£220 per front
£340 per rear
making a set £1,120 (~$2200)

for servicing I was quoted:

minor £425 (~$850)
major £600 (~$1200)

I expect to do about 8k miles per year so I figure a set of tyres every year

So by my reckoning it was:

£425+£600+£425=£1,450 (~$2,900) servicing over the 3 years
£1,120 * 3 = £3,360 (~$6,700) tyre cost

giving a 3 year total of £4,810 (~$9,600)

compared to the maint plan : 36 * £119 = £4,284 (~$8,500)

so a difference of: £526 (~$1,050) over the 3 years.

to me that difference wasn't worth it as I figured that it's possible I wouldn't need to replace the tyres as often for wear depending on the actual milage, could have tyre damage that isn't covered and didn't want to be tied to them saying when I could/couldn't replace the tyres (I don't like to let them wear too low).

They did offer a service only deal though - £24 ($48) per month = £288 (~$576) per annum. That was a no brainer:

£1,450 (~2.900) vs £864 (~$1,728) = £586 (~$1,170) difference.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They offered me a maintanance program at 5/15/25/40/50K etc for $650, but I passed. I put 7K miles on my other car each year and that was driving it 100% of the time year round. I still use it, so I can't see myself putting more than a few thousand a year on this one, no to mention the R8 will be in storage throughout winter here in Michigan.

5K maintanance comes free, so that should be fine for now. I can always buy it later if I want to.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My dealer offered me a tire/wheel replacement program for $800. It lasts 5 years and is transferable. Not sure if it was through Audi or a company they upsell.

If anything ever happens to your tire or wheel, they replace it for free with the exact same thing. So if you get a flat, replace it. Curb or bend a wheel, replace it. For any reason, no questions asked.

Probably wouldn't get it on a cheaper car, but I think it's a pretty good deal considering how much these things cost for the R8.
That sounds too cheap/good to be true. There must be a catch because by using it once, they would be out at least $400 - $500. You use it twice and they will be in a small loss.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That sounds too cheap/good to be true. There must be a catch because by using it once, they would be out at least $400 - $500. You use it twice and they will be in a small loss.
Nah, no catch that I know of. He explained it to me. I'm guessing it's not offered through them, but they offer it on all vehicles through another company. My guess is that the company will take a loss if i use it twice or more, but hey, you win some you lose some. My insurance company is probably at a loss overall, but hey, they didn't drop me.

But hey, if I don't ever use it, they win. So, who knows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts