Audi R8 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Performante or EVO RWD. yes the Performante is night and day from a 610-4/r8 v10 plus
Elaborate? For public road usage what can the Performante do the 610/R8 V10 Plus cannot? Performante is more of a track weapon and for the price premium you're not getting a whole lot except for bringing the Lambo's interior up to snuff (as the 610-4 is a haven of plastic cheap bits).

·
Registered
869 Posts
My Porsche 981 has been a nightmare I live in sunny La Florida and the heat has warped door panels and now wind seeps inside the cabin making awful noises, sports chrono stopped working, head liner is sagging, random electrical problems, I said never again Porsche Never, I have babied the car bought it pristine and kept it in garage, this problem is recurrent in many Porsche cars so I guess is not only the British cars that can give you a headache.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hard to beat an R8 as a do it all.
Had a Ferrari Cali T, rs5, 981 boxster s and a few others.
My r8 RWS is always a pleasure without any worries. Sounds great, rides smooth and is fast enough (I never track my cars).
Just went shopping for something in addition to the R8 that was “different”.
Drove 458, 488, 570s and 720s and an Aventador.
Ended up with 2020 911 carrera s cabrio. (Traded my m850ix)
720 was a blast but I live 3 hrs from nearest Mclearen dealer and plus the prices are still crazy on convertibles (which I wanted). Aventador just too impractical. 458 was great but mainly just for the F care mystique. 488 a tad too sterile for my tastes. (All of this relative to money of course).
If you wrench yourself, maybe an older 430 F1 or 458 would be a good side step but my California had too many minor issues so I sold it. Was always afraid of what was coming next- same would be for any non warranty F car for me.
I’m never selling my R8. It’s that good for what I want.
RF

·
Registered
570 Posts
I’m a little surprised no one mentioned the new Vette. The Z06 or ZR1 variants will be taking names when they come out. For the assumed price, they’ll likely be the bargain of the bunch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sko

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Elaborate? For public road usage what can the Performante do the 610/R8 V10 Plus cannot? Performante is more of a track weapon and for the price premium you're not getting a whole lot except for bringing the Lambo's interior up to snuff (as the 610-4 is a haven of plastic cheap bits).
Yea, the Performante is more for track due to the "ALA" downforce/drag management system. I'm not saying you can't daily/road drive a Performante, but you just won't exploit the ALA system much unless you're WOT at high speeds. For road driving, it makes more sense to get an Evo or an older LP-610.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I’m a little surprised no one mentioned the new Vette. The Z06 or ZR1 variants will be taking names when they come out. For the assumed price, they’ll likely be the bargain of the bunch too.

Vette?! barf :sick:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just sold my 17 Plus and got a 430 Scuderia, R8 was excellent for comfort, speed and reliability, the Ferrari is way better in driving experience.

Reactions: Milo

·
Registered
106 Posts

Everything isn't about speed...I don't doubt the C8 variants of Z06 and ZR1 will be stupid fast but there's more to a car than how fast it is compared to another. Such cars become totally unusable on the streets and are only mostly good for bragging rights. I want something that has a particular wow factor and is not seen around every corner....Corvettes are seen around every corner.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My Porsche 981 has been a nightmare I live in sunny La Florida and the heat has warped door panels and now wind seeps inside the cabin making awful noises, sports chrono stopped working, head liner is sagging, random electrical problems, I said never again Porsche Never, I have babied the car bought it pristine and kept it in garage, this problem is recurrent in many Porsche cars so I guess is not only the British cars that can give you a headache.
Funny that you should say that. My wife has a 981 Cayman S and she has had the same issues and the car has under 20k miles on it. Thankfully we took it to Porsche of Destin and they replaced the door panel and headliner free of charge.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Funny that you should say that. My wife has a 981 Cayman S and she has had the same issues and the car has under 20k miles on it. Thankfully we took it to Porsche of Destin and they replaced the door panel and headliner free of charge.
When you paid 80,000 USD for a PORSCHE and your sports chrono doesn't work, door panels warping, head liner sagging and the right window drops suddenly is not funny...

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is a great question.

After years of driving Porsche GT3s, BMWs, anything - I'll weigh in as I'm shopping Gen 2 V10+s mostly to try something new but also the price of performance value.

Lots of Huracan posts above which is interesting. The price point is not that different but the maintenance, insurance, and attention are negatives. I could afford to look at Huracans as well but wouldn't for the above reasons.

From Porsche, the only comparable next car I'd include is a 991.2 GT3RS and although I plan on tracking a lot, it would be in addition to the R8. GT3RS are built for the track and I plan on 90% driving my car on the street. If you're doing 10+ track days a year there is no other reliable, efficient choice. For our Euro audience, if you go to Spa, or the Nurburgring, you won't find much else for a reason. It's really that good even in 991.1 or 991.2 form and beyond just the GTs.

The Ferraris are near and dear to my heart and the 458 is at a similar price point and too close in comparison to the Gen 2 R8. The 488s are absolutely fantastic with trade-offs as the new F8 launches somewhat making it a moot point unless you're looking at a Pista. I don't think a 488 GTB would tick enough boxes for many to make the switch and wouldn't have enough pro's outside of "passion" and other BS that would just be in your head. It is not a better car.

As for McLarens, I'll put some fuel to the fire and just state that in all my years at the track I've only ever seen a handful. Ever. Reliability and spontaneous combustion is a real thing. If I had to put numbers to this, imagine that every track day or HPDE I've ever been to over the past 10+ years (USA=WA,OR,CA,TX + Europe) has 60-90 cars. Sure, lots of domestics and proper race cars, but for HPDE and TnTs the field is open. I can probably count no more than 20 Maccas. That's it. Either the owners don't track them much outside of Mac events, they never see the track or the ones I've seen simply don't hold up. Also, Fernando Alonso's career deserved better.

As a Tesla owner, I'm looking forward to the electric future with the Roadster being the first and most viable option but withholding judgment until we see the final product. Although I'm excited to see them on the road, it is certainly not something I'm interested in seeing, buying, or taking to the track for a lot of good reasons. Hooning a silent car (I already drive one to work everyday) is just not something I'm interested in, fast as hell or not. Going fast and driving fast are two very different things. If you've ever seen an electric car or motorcycle race or track day (Laguna), its an odd experience. 30 cars going 3 deep into turn 1 with no sound, no need for earplugs or headphones and no one knows what level of talent. Watch some of the Nio footage as prosperous and defunct as that company is when you can. I'll give electric its day as those electric cars, some stock Teslas or modified Porsches and BMWs, were putting down respectable laptimes in the 1:40s across the board. That's moving and at a track like Laguna, with electric you don't have to lift off at the sound station. I worship engineering ingenuity but for my track experience I want more of a raw, visceral experience and to hear the engine tell me when I need to shift versus anything else. That's where the skill comes in and the adventure of finding and advancing your level of precision comes in that electric, sensors, torque vectoring, auto-steering takes away. Its not the place for that.

I'll now retreat back to the comfort of my Model S daily with its minimal, crappy interior and stupid, crazy ludicrious mode to push me through stop-and-go traffic along with the stupendous noises of my GT3 track rat until I pick up my V10+.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Im actually very impressed by the new GT500, but it would be in addition to my R8 V10+. Yea, that would be a pretty good Jekyll/Hyde combo I would say.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd probably also throw another future classic out there.

430 Scuderia

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Has Lamborghini announced when the V10 will cease production for the Huracan? Just curious how many years are left for the NA V10. Considering they just announced the Evo RWD, I would assume at least three more years of the V10 being produced. I wonder if they'll go hybrid for the next gen engine or V8 Twin Turbo...

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I've heard 2023 but I don't know how much that can be relied upon.

·
Registered
732 Posts
After a V10, you need a V12 ...Ferrari 812 superfast or Lamborghini Aventador SVJ
a lightly used 812 (which means all of them) is actually an interesting proposition. those cars are stone cold right now. i know for a fact you can walk into any dealer and put an order in and allocations are readily available. you'll get it 8 months later- like an R8. check on ferrari chat. you can pick up a used 2019 for just over 320k with an original spec sheet of over 450K. that's a ridiculous depreciation curve- there's a whole thread about it on the forum. give it a year and you'll be able to pick one up in the 280s. exotic car values are plummeting right now. doesn't make sense to order an F8 since the 812 is an overall better car. the 720s will walk all over an 812 in performance, btw.

audi would have to think up of something totally new and sexy- like they did with the original R8- for the third gen- and performance to match or beat what the 720s has to offer for me to be interested in the future.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
audi would have to think up of something totally new and sexy- like they did with the original R8- for the third gen- and performance to match or beat what the 720s has to offer for me to be interested in the future.
There won’t be a 3rd gen Audi R8. The current 2020 2nd gen facelift is the last one you’ll ever see. Shame ?

41 - 60 of 95 Posts