Audi R8 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve had my ‘17 V10 Plus now for about 3-4 weeks and I’m loving every minute of it. Out of all the sports/super sports cars I’ve owned, the R8 is by far best I’ve ever experienced. It feels virtually perfect to me and I can’t imagine what could be better. However, I know I won’t keep the car forever and will likely want a different experience (vs getting a 2020) when I part with it in a couple of years.

What car are you considering after the R8 or considering adding to the stable to complement the R8?

Personally, the bar is raised for me and my standard now is at that level of an R8; there’s no way I could ever own another super sports car/exotic that is less than the R8.
I replaced my 2010 v8 manual r8 with a 2012 v10 manual r8 with a 2012 458 and now drive a 2015 F12. The F12 has finally depreciated to where I think it’s the current bargain of high end exotics. Drive it every day in warm weather, absolutely amazing car. The manual v10 r8 is my only previous sports car (others include 2008 carerra S manual, 2097 vantage automatic) I really miss though. Really says something!

·
Registered
416 Posts
1 poster here mentioned his RWS. I drove a few cars and also the V10+ before making the jump to the RWS. It is a perfectly balanced car and hard to beat. I would build an Ultima RS 480hp if I had or wanted to sell this car. Other choice would be a rear wheel drive mid engine - GT3, Ferrari, Lambo -2, more than 550-600hp is a waste for the road.

·
Registered
62 Posts
How many are considering the Tesla Roadster or have a deposit down?

My wife DDs a Model X P90D and I DD a Model S P90D with Ludicrous mode. It has saved me from making a lot of unwise car purchases so far due to its simplicity and performance. Other than my track cars and usual errands, I haven't been to a gas station in a long time for its intended purpose. I've even driven both from Seattle to SF and back using the supercharger network.

A better power platform in a roadster model sounds friggin ridiculous.

Reactions: jamieuk

·
Registered
316 Posts
How many are considering the Tesla Roadster or have a deposit down?

My wife DDs a Model X P90D and I DD a Model S P90D with Ludicrous mode. It has saved me from making a lot of unwise car purchases so far due to its simplicity and performance. Other than my track cars and usual errands, I haven't been to a gas station in a long time for its intended purpose. I've even driven both from Seattle to SF and back using the supercharger network.

A better power platform in a roadster model sounds friggin ridiculous.
I’m looking at getting a roadster. My wife has a Model X 100D and it is just from the future, so much fun. Apparently the roadster is 1 megawatt of power excluding boosters. That’s 1341hp.

Before my Gen 2 I had a Gen 1 V10 6MT with turbos putting out nearly 800wp and it was just a sledgehammer. I can’t even imagine the power this will be, especially when the Model X feels like a 600hp V8 in a low gear at 5000rpm at all times - just full torque instantly. Can’t wait.

PS - the one thing I always find myself saying is “I’ll miss the sound” when I’m not in the Tesla. But when I’m in it I don’t even think about it negatively as not having sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Anyone considering going away from an coupe on the next car and maybe consider the 2021 RS7?

·
Registered
211 Posts
You having thoughts already? Dibs on all your cool parts you just bought Im local haha....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
You having thoughts already? Dibs on all your cool parts you just bought Im local haha....
LMAO! Nah, I'm just always forward-thinking/planning the next car. I'm leaning towards a Performante on the next car, but not 100% on that yet. However, I've been watching videos of the RS7 and I love the new design. For me not to get another coupe after the R8, life circumstances would have to dictate as such; if somehow it did, RS7 would be my pick.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
LMAO! Nah, I'm just always forward-thinking/planning the next car. I'm leaning towards a Performante on the next car, but not 100% on that yet. However, I've been watching videos of the RS7 and I love the new design. For me not to get another coupe after the R8, life circumstances would have to dictate as such; if somehow it did, RS7 would be my pick.
I own a 2018 RS7 Performance. I certainly do not like the looks of the new model. You'll get better for your money with the 2017-2018 models. It's an impressive car but I'll tell you right off the bat it's no sports car. No sedan is. It's impressive for what it is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every time I go for a drive in the R8 a 650S comes out of nowhere and destroys me (thumbs up after but still...) So naturally I've been looking at 12C's, 650S etc but the reliability and lack of dealers where I am has put me off. I'm still going to drive one soon though to see what it's actually like. They don't sound anywhere near as good as the R8 though and I'd lose the shifter which would suck. It's a hard call.
I owned a 2012 12C, which looked great and was fast but had (1) turbo lag, (2) no exhaust sound, (3) central HVAC vent blew crazy loud all the time, (4) depreciated $30k in 3 months, (4) required me to flat-bed truck the car $1000 any time to get it serviced (dealers in Chicago and Philadelphia), (5) squeaking top (when ran as a hard top) any time I went over a bump (retractable convertible), (6) everywhere I parked people asked me how I liked my Lamborghini (it was so common I eventually stopped directing them and just said I liked it)

Sold the 2012 McL 12C in 3 months

Owned a 2012 v10 R8 manual for 2 years which I daily drove in winter.

Stick with a R8.

·
Registered
R8 V10 2016
8 Posts
I got my after dreaming of it since the Le Mans came out! NFS Carbon! Who remembers it? The LeMans final boss?
Then iron man 1, 2?

I didn’t liked the 2Gen at first but seen it in the streets I started to liking it, and the interior with all the CF... just wow
Im buzzing right now!

But answering the topic... for me and specifically me, the 488 will be a better replacement when I decide to swap in 1-2yrs.
I’m 6’5” feet size 15US. I barely fit, track is not the best experience and helmet it’s a no go. Idk about the Tesla as I never had the chance to sit on it, but the 488gtb and 488spider are honestly way bigger than the R8, Huracan (smaller than the R8), aventador (smaller than the Huracan).
another option soube the 650s or 675lt, they way more reliable than the 720s and 650s it’s cheaper.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Im with you I might be moving to a Huracan I would love the Performante but would be weighing the options of a supercharged lp 610-4

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I got my after dreaming of it since the Le Mans came out! NFS Carbon! Who remembers it? The LeMans final boss?
Then iron man 1, 2?

I didn’t liked the 2Gen at first but seen it in the streets I started to liking it, and the interior with all the CF... just wow
Im buzzing right now!

But answering the topic... for me and specifically me, the 488 will be a better replacement when I decide to swap in 1-2yrs.
I’m 6’5” feet size 15US. I barely fit, track is not the best experience and helmet it’s a no go. Idk about the Tesla as I never had the chance to sit on it, but the 488gtb and 488spider are honestly way bigger than the R8, Huracan (smaller than the R8), aventador (smaller than the Huracan).
another option soube the 650s or 675lt, they way more reliable than the 720s and 650s it’s cheaper.
Huracan smaller than the R8? I assume you mean in overall dimensions but not interior space? I’m under 6 feet so I assume I would be fine in a Huracan. I need to look more into the 488; I always told myself I would never get a Ferrari because of the perception it portrays, lol (I guess the same could be said for Lambo)

·
Registered
R8 V10 2016
8 Posts
Huracan smaller than the R8? I assume you mean in overall dimensions but not interior space? I’m under 6 feet so I assume I would be fine in a Huracan. I need to look more into the 488; I always told myself I would never get a Ferrari because of the perception it portrays, lol (I guess the same could be said for Lambo)
I mean exactly the interior space in the Huracan it’s terrible...
They clearly don’t give a da** for anyone over 6 feet. I think you would barely fit and your legs aren’t going be straight.

If you looking try out... go same day 488, Huracan and 650s, the driving positions are amazing apart from the Huracan and you will understand the difference.

And yes, the Ferrari it’s kinda a statement, it can be “I love cars”, “I’m a car enthusiast”. But all people will get is “I’m filthy rich get out of my way”.
With the R8 I already get some pissed drivers that should give way and they don’t, yesterday I was stopped between 2 cars parked blocking the road as my wife was getting into the car (5s thing) and some crazy girl literally stopped in front of me and told me to reverse so she can pass, she had space both sides to let me go. I was wandering if it would happen if I had my suv instead of the R8 or a Ferrari she would have gone through me lol. Haters will always hate... so if u want Ferrari and not to bring that much attention just get it in a stealth look, black, grey...something less “in your face”

Also watch this in full

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’m looking at getting a roadster. My wife has a Model X 100D and it is just from the future, so much fun. Apparently the roadster is 1 megawatt of power excluding boosters. That’s 1341hp.

Before my Gen 2 I had a Gen 1 V10 6MT with turbos putting out nearly 800wp and it was just a sledgehammer. I can’t even imagine the power this will be, especially when the Model X feels like a 600hp V8 in a low gear at 5000rpm at all times - just full torque instantly. Can’t wait.

PS - the one thing I always find myself saying is “I’ll miss the sound” when I’m not in the Tesla. But when I’m in it I don’t even think about it negatively as not having sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maaaate, don't do it.. Once the straight line novelty wears off you'll be wondering what to do next! Get an i3 & a 720S :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just jumping back in this Forum. Here in Vegas and rented a 2017 R8 Spyder and romped it up the backcountry roads to Zion and back. I'm currently in a Carrera T, and love that car, BUT... the R8 was a very, very awesome experience. I can see myself driving it daily, top-down, long touring trips etc... There's a local new 2018 that's dropped in price. But I've been a Porsche guy for the last 10 years. Any of you guys jump from Porsche into an R8? Worth the scorn of my Porsche buddies?

·
Registered
R8 V10 2016
8 Posts
Just jumping back in this Forum. Here in Vegas and rented a 2017 R8 Spyder and romped it up the backcountry roads to Zion and back. I'm currently in a Carrera T, and love that car, BUT... the R8 was a very, very awesome experience. I can see myself driving it daily, top-down, long touring trips etc... There's a local new 2018 that's dropped in price. But I've been a Porsche guy for the last 10 years. Any of you guys jump from Porsche into an R8? Worth the scorn of my Porsche buddies?
I would say yes mate. 100%
It’s a completely different feel specially with the top down, and if you like the noise you can get only the back window open with or without rain.

Just know which it’s gonna be best for you. For example I don’t like the carbon ceramics for urban driving, they just too much for the city. But if you thinking about country roads then you can go for the ceramics. And always get carbon, as many as possible as it can be a important factor when it’s time to sell it.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Get it and don't look back. I never understood people that are "brand loyalists." So you've driven the same type of cars for TEN years. Try something else. My heart is towards the American V8s and RWD but as you can see I own zero at the moment. I'm only in my 30s and I've owned the following performance cars...

FWD, RWD, AWD
I4, V6, V8, V10
Japan, USA, Europe
Supercharged, Turbocharged, Naturally Aspirated
Front engined and mid engined.

I've tried it all. I just need to eventually get a rear engine car (cough cough Porsche :ROFLMAO: ) and a 12 cylinder. Debating the F12 or Aventador or some equivalent. It's fun to try different things it's the variety in this hobby and in life.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Do it - you won't have any regrets. I came out of a Cayman S into my R8 and haven't looked back once.

Reactions: Rocky56

·
Registered
56 Posts
But I've been a Porsche guy for the last 10 years. Any of you guys jump from Porsche into an R8? Worth the scorn of my Porsche buddies?
My short answer is 100% yes - worth it. I am currently missing my R8 and starting to count down the days when I can bring it out of hibernation for spring, so fair warning this might turn into a bit of a rant.

I came from an awesome 997TT that I honestly thought I would never sell. But after 9 years of driving it, my tastes and needs changed. It was set up with more of a GT2 suspension that started to get a little rough for the touring or even the spirited commutes to work I was mainly doing. My kids grew up and no longer really fit in the back at all - so no school pick ups or drives with both of them in the car anyway. The exhaust note, even with a Tubi exhaust was still pretty mundane at normal RPMs and "just ok" to good around 3-4000 RPM. The technology and creature comforts in the car were certainly dated.

After doing a bunch of research, I narrowed it down to the R8 and began my search - ultimately finding a very low mileage '17 plus. It's just a whole other level from the Porsche I had. I know this has been stated before on the forum, but it just looks way more exotic, rare and distinctive. Whereas 911s are everywhere up here, you rarely see an R8 (Gen1 but for sure very few Gen2s it seems). The handling is much more balanced and the turn in so sharp. The ride is very very livable when you want it to be and perfectly firm when you want that as well. The luxuriousness of the interior with the quilted stitching, carbon fiber and general design is really special IMO. Every reviewer raves about the sound from the NA V10 engine for good reason - it truly is intoxicating. The carbon ceramic braking does take some getting used to for city driving, but it is so good to know it is there and can be an event in itself if you want to bring any speed down in a hurry. Walking up to the glass engine bay is a sight to behold and just makes the experience that much more special - or again, exotic. Not to overuse that word, but again, so much more so than the 911. The B&O sound system is really excellent compared to what the Porsche Bose system offered. The Audi Virtual Cockpit is super cool and makes it feel like you are driving something state of the art (will be interesting to see how long that lasts though as all things age).

I am still a 911 lover, and have a classic air-cooled 964 that I still maintain I will never sell, but the R8 - at least for me at this time - is the perfect blend of all things sports car that I would look for. To tie this back in to the original topic, for all the reasons given above I can't imagine a next vehicle.

Reactions: Rocky56
61 - 80 of 95 Posts