Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone jot me down a quick list? The only thing I can think of is the light under the car. Any differences to tail lights, head lights, or anything like that?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Can someone jot me down a quick list? The only thing I can think of is the light under the car. Any differences to tail lights, head lights, or anything like that?
Based on seeing both Euro spec. & (1 or 2) US spec. cars @ the Audi Sportscar Experience R8 course:
all US cars have the airbag seats, not the "buckets" or sport look seats;
rear fog light (which you noted)
metric instrument readouts (probably programmable, didn't get a chance to try)
appears (from Kelley Blue Book pricing site) that all US cars are default equipped with "convenience package" and nav. which covers a whole list of individually selectable option on the Euro spec cars (per the GB R8 web site);!
the std. color list for the US is somewhat abbreviated: the GB R8 site offers (of course!) a green which can pass for the BRG livery (green cars, at least in racing, having strangely a superstitious reputation for being unlucky from the old days of US auto racing--it's been flaunted of course especially at Indy!)

There are some differences or options involving front # plate placement which are or course standardized by the Euro plate there. I'm not aware of other points but others will undoubtedly chime in.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should note, I'm mainly interested in differences due to laws in the EU. Things such as the fog light, or yellow reflectors.

·
Registered
367 Posts
US cars also get our mandatory front and rear side marker lights. For some reason we lose the cool rear orange LED turn signal strips and use one (or both?) of the dual rear red brake lights on each side as blinkers instead.
A number of minor options do come as standard on our cars, however I believe the Brits get the leather package as standard! :confused:

·
Registered
156 Posts
also the mmi system,
the Euro version offers tv.
the US always get screwed with cool options...oh wells.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mmi? tv?

I'm asking, because I'm thinking that I'm going to be moving to Europe in the next couple years, and I'm wondering if there is much/anything that would need to be changed to Euro specs when importing it. It's duty and tax free if I've owned it here for more than 6 months and lived here. Just concered about safety things.

·
Registered
156 Posts
MMI tv is just an option for the navigation unit on the audi's
i don't think this will affect anything on what you plan on doing.
I'm sure you can import your car overseas with minor changes.

·
Registered
274 Posts
u.s. cars dont get cf any more... you can order aftermarket now though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the std. color list for the US is somewhat abbreviated: the GB R8 site offers (of course!) a green which can pass for the BRG livery (green cars, at least in racing, having strangely a superstitious reputation for being unlucky from the old days of US auto racing--it's been flaunted of course especially at Indy!)
Being the national racing color for England, there were numerous fatal crashes of cars in that color.

A big part, however, of BRG being unlucky stems from the death of Graham Hill. All of the flight crew on the small jet that crashed were dressed from head to toe in green. The crash killed all on board...

·
Registered
156 Posts
u.s. cars dont get cf any more... you can order aftermarket now though.
for the 2008 model year correct?
is it also comfirmed for 2009?
i was looking at the 08 brochure and it seems like it is offered but "limited availability" whatever that means...
i'm guessing it means..if you want to dish out $$$ we'll get you whatever you want? :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Aren't all the Euro R8's faster than the US ones??:p

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have photo evidence!! This was me testing a US spec model (on a closed circuit of course!)- couldn't even get it past 140mph!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts