Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a tough time deciding what color brake calipers to use on a Jet Blue R8. Yellow and red just don't seem right for my '8. Maybe same body color blue? or fully polished, they are big so whatever the color,it should stand out.Black chome is out of the question-Heat build-up ! But I have mentioned before that the calipers run very cool.The calipers are VERY well ventilated. But I hear the brakes can boil the fluid sometimes.:)

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
But I hear the brakes can boil the fluid sometimes
It is theoretically possible to boil any brake fluid in any car, but the fall off in braking performance is usually disasterous...boiling brake fluid being one of the commonest reasons for "brake fade." I would think Audi would spec something like Castrol SRF or a brake fluid that meets DOT 5.1 (or the DIN equivalent), which if fresh should be nearly impossible to boil under actual conditions.

Drop in boiling point with acquisition of water by all glycol based brake fluids is the reason ALL high performance cars specify frequent (should be yearly for an R8 that is tracked, I would think) brake fluid changeovers.

Of course, there's the option of a silicone based fluid (DOT 5), but supposedly they cause unacceptable "soft pedal" in most performance cars (never driven a car with silicone brake fluid). Since I am not yet an owner, could someone tell me what does the R8 manual specify re brake fluid?

PS: Harrison, I got so carried away thinking about boiling brake fluid, I forgot to address your question! Sorry! I agree that the common bright red and yellow calipers seen so much on Porsches, etc., do not look right with Jet Blue. Jet Blue is my color choice of the stock colors, so I am interested in the opinions on this. You mentioned "polished". To the best of my recollection, I have not seen that. Does is look like the polished alloy wheels? That might be a good choice. Or black? How about a Mugello Blue, if such was available?

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I would not like the red or yellow either. I know you went with a black chrome for the wheels. Are they fully black chrome or is there some other color/finish on parts of the rim? Is the valve stem still silver? How about the brake rotors? Did you paint the silver centers to make them blend in better?

Perhaps a silver like the brake centers & valve stem might be a decent option. If your side blade was a painted color, maybe that color (but you have the CF)? I like the looks of the ceramic brake calipers. They are something different, than the black that is presently available in the US.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My wheels can be seen in the gallery,Silver valve stems,O.G. (original) center caps,chrome insides and out,rotors are still O.G. silver.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My buddie stopped by this evening in his Pearl yellow Gallardo.It has yellow calipers and they compliment the car Fantastically. Will try silver for now.:)

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just noticed my buddies Cayenne has Silver calipers.Black car with black wheels. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Harrison, I have a Het Blue too, did you finally change the color of your calipers?
thanks

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes I did change calipers to silver faces. Only on one side so far . I like them so far. Will change to a duller Hammertone silver before Concorso Aug 14th. Color is working for me bcuz my wheels are MUCH darker now - Blackish chrome with BLACK semi gloss interiors . The dirtier the wheels get the more the chrome looks darker. Quite an unusual set-up. Except a lot of new cars are offering this now. I am always 1 step behind with my ideas. Our Jet Blue color makes caliper color choices a bit limited. :) (I have not seen any jet airplanes in this color). Am having her detailed to the MAX. Next photos should be good enough for me . I will be representing us R 8 owners at Concorso and would'nt want to disappoint anybody. No tint on lights as they are just too beutiful to hide. BUT the headlight tint sure has preserved the headlights. I may use the tint for the drive up (6 hours) to keep protecting the lites from sand/stones . Take care buddy. I don't have big enough cahonies (balls) to go yellow .Yet...

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have some powder coating samples in different blue shades. I think there is a winner in that bunch... should stop by the shop and see them. Also have a PPI BBK on the shelf, but calipers are red.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't want to sound ignoranus...but what is BBK ? :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts