Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at buying the cheapest r8 i can buyer restraints I'm wondering which model is considered the most reliable cost wise manual or auto v8 or v10. Is high milage a put off? I hear clutch can be expensive thanks Alistair

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Unless you're Tyler Hoovie, you probably don't want "the cheapest" R8 you can find. :) Generally speaking, a pre-facelift R-Tronic V8 will be the most affordable. In good condition, there shouldn't be a lot of difference maintenance-wise across any Gen-1 (V8, V10, manual, or R/S-tronic). For some items, the V10 may be slightly more, and on others the V8 may be slightly more. But again, and generally speaking, there shouldn't be a big difference.

What WILL matter is how well the car has been maintained. Find a car that's been well maintained - preferably with all of its records, no sign of skipped maintenance, or signs of cut-corner solutions. Get a very thoroughly PPI done - it won't guarantee you're problem-free, but it may save you from some more obvious problems.

Yes, a clutch job can cost quite a bit, and so can magnetic ride, A/C compressor, some common oil leaks, etc. The R8, at least at the moment, is pretty solid, though. If you're buying a well maintained example, it shouldn't be a car that gives you problems on a routine basis. But that said, if and when a problem arises, it's quite easy for it to be $2k, $4k, or $6k. You need to be prepared for those circumstances. In much more rare circumstances, you could run into a transmission or engine failure that would be far, far more expensive.

Mileage will generally be somewhere around 2k - 5k miles per year for your typical R8. So, for a 10 year old R8, for example, I would expect to see somewhere between 20k - 50k miles. If it's much less (e.g 5k miles) or much more (e.g. 100k miles), you should expect that you may start running into some additional costs related to lack of use or additional wear and tear. Neither should scare you away so long as it was well maintained - serviced regularly, has records, passes a thorough PPI, etc - but you should just probably increase your budget a bit for potential repairs.

As I like to say, "prepare for the worst and hope for the best." Either self-insure or get a warranty (if that's an option). But if you buy a quality example, and you'll be unlikely to regret it! Best of luck on your search!

·
Registered
214 Posts
The "cheapest" R8 is going to be an older V8 model. It's an Audi so it is a reliable car but as with any car, the higher the mileage, the more likely you'll incur repairs. Personally I would stay away from one that has had multiple (3-5) owners. A lot of times the owners don't plan to hold onto the car long and they skimp on maintenance. Unless you have a comprehensive maintenance history you have no clue when the brake fluid was last changed or if the transmission fluid was ever replaced on a 10 year old car (think transmission problems). Also an older car WILL require repairs. It's like musical chairs with repair items. You don't want to be the owner when the music stops and you have to replace the A/C compressor or the mag shocks. A PPI is only a static picture of the condition of the car at a period in time. The A/C might be working during the inspection but give out during your ownership. Repairs are expensive. The R8 is a limited production car and so there are very few cheaper aftermarket parts available compared to say a BMW 3 series.

I would encourage you to go online and price out parts such as brake rotors and pads. Even maintenance parts on the R8 are expensive. If you plan to do the work yourself, watch youtube videos and see if you are comfortable doing the work yourself. Changing oil on a car with a dry sump lubrication system is different than changing oil on a conventional car. Your indy mechanic will charge you more as it takes more time. There are 5 or 6 drain plug in this car. It is recommended that oil is filled in stages so as to not overfill. I remember reading a post from an R8 owner who took his car to an indy who apparently never changed the oil on this particular car and ended up over-filling the oil and causing major engine damage.

I've heard stories about people who could afford the $60,000 used Bentley Continental but could not afford to maintain or repair the car. If you buy an older R8, make sure you get a good feel of real ownership costs. Remember that the cheapest car is many times the most expensive one. Pay a little more for a well maintained R8.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
As said above, a cheap R8 is going to be one that has a patchy service history and very likely to have a number of issues requiring attention. It is very easy to stack up a £5K bill on these cars and much more if there's serious problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cars suit certain people R8 is bold i wouldn't say brash like db8 or f-type but there are certain cars i would be embarrassed driving and those are two of them . I would feel much more comfortable in a datsun 'z' it's a people's car it doesn't seem to say "I'm bold I'm brash "get out of my way" it's not a muscle car. It's a people's sports car i like that.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The R8 is understated against its peers and one of the many reasons I love it. Good luck in your hunt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts