Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm a nob here but I've been using forums for 5+ years. This is a well done forum.

I am in the process of making a decision yes or no about the R8. I don't make decisions lightly since I prefer to keep my cars 7+ years. So I mean it's better for me to take my time and get my ideal car.

I wonder if you guys had other cars in mind besides the R8 and how you came to decide on the R8 if you have decided already?

I am going to list a few cars I would consider:

Cars in the $70K to $90K range:
M3 V8
GT-R
Cayman S
Z06
M5
M6

Cars in the $100K+ range:
911 S
911 GT3
911 Turbo
Aston Martin Vantage coupe
Aston Martin Vantage vert
used F360
NSX (?)

Obviously the M5 is a sedan so that's not necessarly the same but the other cars are in the same ballpark as the R8.

·
Registered
647 Posts
For me there are only five cars that I truly like currently on the market:

Audi R8(I order it-manual version)
BMW M3 e92(yes, new V8 version-really good sports coupe)
Corvette Z06(even better in MY08, best price/performance value)
Lamborghini Gallardo(still the thrill king)
Porsche 997 Turbo(I order it as well-manual version with optional LSD)

We could go pretty indepth here but, what's the point... Porsche prices are far better in USA then in Europe and that is huge advantage IMHO.

But, first you need to decide for yourself how many seats do you need?
Two? R8!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sI have not decided what I want. The R8 is a front runner, except for the price, it's 3x more than the most expensive car I have ever bought.

My other picks could be:

Cayman S: half the cost still a mid-engine 2 seater weighs around 3000 lbs. But not as special as the R8.

M3: half the cost same power but it's a 2+2 coupe.

GTR: half the cost, awd more power.

GT3: same cost similar power. GT3 rwd only and less of a DD. If I'm spending $120K, I'd look at the GT3 but am leaning towards the R8.

·
Registered
564 Posts
what about the coming GT2? surprised no-one ever mentioned the car yet in this forum.. in any thread.. must be heck of a car.. allthough only rwd

·
Registered
311 Posts
Aston Martin V8 Vantage Coupe or Roadster
Jaguar XKR
Maserati GranTurismo
911 Carrera 4S

used Gallardo
used 360 spider
Lotus Esprit replacement - if it ever appears

·
Registered
100 Posts
BMW M3 e92(yes, new V8 version-really good sports coupe)
I will be testing one of these in a few weeks. Look out for the article in EVO next month.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I thought we'd get more replies and/or discussion about why you would pick the R8 over other cars.

I drove a Vantage the other week and I just can't see $120K there. It drives fine and looks even better but for this price I'd expect more power.

The Gallardo is more what an expensive car should be. Problem with the Gallardo (besides cost a lot more new than the R8) is I don't fit. I hear the R8 has a good bit more room than a Gallardo.

Vantage:

·
Registered
274 Posts
cars on my list when i ran into the r8-
vantage, jag and 430 spyder...
i was in the process of buying a spyder ($100k u.s.d. over list!!) when i found out about the r8-

(btw, dont i know you rai??)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cars on my list when i ran into the r8-
(btw, dont i know you rai??)
Yes from S2ki, I saw you gave a link to this forum so I've been reading up on the R8.

I consider placing an order for the R8 except I want to see/drive a Cayman S first it's a 'poor man's R8' in that I can't think of another mid-engine sports car with similar performance.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i suggest that you put down a deposit so you have a chance of getting a car in the next coupla years- at most u.s. dealers the deposit is fully refundable.
besides... you need an r8 !

Yes from S2ki, I saw you gave a link to this forum so I've been reading up on the R8.

I consider placing an order for the R8 except I want to see/drive a Cayman S first it's a 'poor man's R8' in that I can't think of another mid-engine sports car with similar performance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts