Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been looking around for a used R8 for a few months now, test driven 4 of them but keep procrastiniating when it comes to the buy bit.
I love the car but then keep reading about your R8 quirks and it puts me off for a bit. ie squealing brakes, keep topping up oil, radios stop working etc.

Currently I am on my 2nd M3 which has given me nothing but pleasure over the years. I have not had any problems apart from rude BMW dealerships.

That is Until today - Someone bought it.
I know my fault for advertising it.

Now I have to find a car, do I, dont I buy an R8?
Will I be happy with it after the M3 convertible?

What should I look out for in buying a used R8 R tronic?

I have found one I like with a great spec lots of extras apart from they forgot to spec B&O, everthing else but no bliiming b&o . Who forgot that?

The car is a September 2007 model with two owners and has covered 14,000miles.

your comments please.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The lower the miles the better! I purchased mine 2nd hand as well.1800 miles on her .I feel I am driving a spanking new car. Superbly cared for.Even better care than I provide I think.I saved on mark-up,taxes,came with 25G in P.P.I and Exhaust,extras,I can't complain!!!P.M. me for more figures.:D Unless you buy from an old Grandma...Beware! That is why breaks probably squeel...not broken in properly. I notice that the less I use my brakes the cleaner every thing stays. Plus I love to hear the throttles blip for me on down shifts.Tell me if you notice a higher resale price for R-tronik verses Standard. I have been told the R-tronic will be easier to resell. I am so freakin' happy with the R-Tronik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is the best of both worlds..R and stick. The stick is the best of only one world...Standard...This is how it is.(for Me ).But...someday I will thrash anR 8 with stick

·
Registered
92 Posts
Contact a dealer with the VIN first. They can let you know the history of the car, and if there was any damage that occured during the transport of the R8 to the original dealer.

Carfax is also a must, but is not 100%

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies,

The car is from an Audi Dealer so hopefully they will be truthfull with the history. Mileage is lowish for a 17 month car but higher than what I would like.
I usually only cover 8000 miles a year if im lucky .
Trouble is over here finding the spec as soon as they appear their sold again.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
I just looked on E-bay motors U.S.A. and there are still high prices out there. Did you see them? I'm gonna check if you have E-bay motors U.K.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
tHERE ARE 21 r-8S ON e-BAY MOTORS u.k.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi Harrison, yes I have got my eyes looking everywhere. Just finding the right spec at right price.
What month/year did the White display lights come in?

·
Registered
482 Posts
just pay to have the dealer perform a prepurchase inspection to ensure the car was not abused or in any type of collisions. Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Will I be happy with it after the M3 convertible?
depends how much you enjoy wind-in-your-hair driving. in terms of actual driving, the r8 is light years ahead of the e46 m3 imo.

·
Registered
718 Posts
You will find R8's from GBP £59,000.00 and can get a clean 8 - 10 K mile car in the mid £60 k range.

www.audi.co.uk
www.autotrader.co.uk

The cars in the £70 - £80 K range do not appear to have moved much in recent weeks. The ones in the £60K range turn over reasonably quickly.

Personally, I think the sound from the standard system is good enough. I did not need a B&O.

In any event, not that many people appear to have gone for the B&O due to the high cost. Hence your problem of finding a used one.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
agree on the standard stereo - it's better than I was expecting, but I don't tend to have music up loud anyway. I prefer to listen to the engine as 9 times from 10 I'm enjoying spirited driving in it rather than a boring road commute.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Despite the big difference in output power between the B&O system and the standard system its not about 'loudness'. In some ways the B&O sounds underpowered if you are a boombox merchant. For anyone who appreciates good sound reproduction and listens to detailed music from good quality media the B&O is worth having. On a car of this price band, £1000 for a top quality sound system is reasonably good value.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
went to see three R tronics today.
I'm in a position to pay cash so am straight up front with the dealers stating that I'm a cash buyer looking to purchase quickly as I have sold my car and had three to view today. I was going to weigh up their best prices and cars at the end of the day to make a decision.

First one had B&O (sounded good) 1 owner low mileage but very basic on everything else. very clean and salesmans was honest and gave a 4k discount as soon as I mentioned the position. £66k down to £62k.

2nd car had every extra apart from the B&O. Car had 2 owners and 14000 miles. Needed a good clean, some new rear tyres soon and the drivers door carbon trim was coming adrift. Oh and an annoying rattle from the steering column.
I did notice the sound difference, it sounded good but was definately missing the surroundness of the rear speakers. Fancy having the rear speaker positions and grills but no speakers.
Great saleman, looked after me well but his manager when I told him my position with cash and his best price he was extremely rude saying that I was obviously not serious in buying a car so go and look at the other one and if i'm interested to ring him back. I retaliated a little so he said he would think about it and ring me in a few hours. Salesman apologised for his manager outside. Cant believe his managers attitude.
Well the sles guy rang back after his manager had gone and said that his manager didnt even mention it, but he would talk with his other manager tomorrow. They obviously dont want to sell then and i think an email to the showrooms main manager is due.
I even had all my reg docs with me for number plate transfer when found the right car.

3rd one had gone before I got there.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
crazy. It's always a worry that it could reflect company culture though when you get shoddy service as a potential customer. Doesn't bode well for when you need to rely on them to provide aftersales service or goodwill gestures.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts