Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What viscosity oil should I use?

The manual (European, both in German and in English) states that oil must satisfy specifications VW 507.00 but doesn't indicate the viscosity (AKA weight).

I seem to find mainly 5W30 here. Is that the correct viscosity?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Re: What viscosity oil should I use?

The manual (European, both in German and in English) states that oil must satisfy specifications VW 507.00 but doesn't indicate the viscosity (AKA weight).

I seem to find mainly 5W30 here. Is that the correct viscosity?

Thanks!
The US manual quotes standard VW502.00. You can access a technical service bulletin listing all recommended oil manufacturers using this link:

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0023.File.pdf

My manual also states that the preferred viscosity is SAE 5W40 but it also says that SAE 5W30 is OK as long as it meets the VW502.00 standard.

Hope that this helps.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
The oil I was given by the dealer was

castrol SLX professional powerflow 5w30 which is VW 504 00/507 00.

The UK manual states that the following should be used:
longlife 504 00
inspection 502 00 / 504 00

·
Registered
604 Posts
Guessing from a previous post I reckon US cars don't have the variable service regime so they would use 502

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guessing from a previous post I reckon US cars don't have the variable service regime so they would use 502
That makes sense, though I cannot understand why.

The cars are essentially the same, and US cars tend to be driven more on highways than European cars, which would seem to make them prme candidates for the variable service regime.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts