Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that it's winter and temps are getting too low and salt is getting too common, it's time to break out the winter car. I've thought about getting a nice WRX, Focus RS, or other fun rally car, but even if I had one, I'd still want to keep it out of the salt. So, I present to you, my beautiful ex-gambler 500 '05 Ford Focus ZX3 manual that cost me an entire $400. I love this car to death and have put about 20k miles on it including a recent road trip from Detroit to Dallas with my dog in the back. Makes for a good engine hauler too. What's everyone else rocking in their frozen wasteland?
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

In all it's gambler glory before I gave it a new front end. And yes, that's a gas powered leaf blower (read "supercharger") and a wing from a 4th gen firebird deck screwed into the roof.

· Administrator
6,493 Posts
I need to have some fun year round so RS5 with snows on
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to have some fun year round so RS5 with snows on
While fast/nice cars are fun in their own right, I've since learned that one of the most fun things you can do is drive a car that you truly do not care about. I don't need a backup camera when I can gently use the curb or tree. If something on the car breaks, it makes no difference to me. In fact it gives me an opportunity to get creative with an angle grinder and zip ties. This car makes me smile as much as the R8 does.

· Registered
5,834 Posts
Focus RS gets me through the winter weather and with a bit of fun thrown in.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Reactions: NOKIDSS

· Registered
543 Posts
Mine is the 22 BMW M850i, which I started a thread about. While the R8 is in the garage, it's only decent to have a proper car to drive when the weather is less than ideal. A proper car with a proper engine that makes proper torque and power, and is adequately comfortable:

· Registered
1,815 Posts
The OP's car rocks. Anyhing that cost 400 and had a firebird wing on it with a leaf blower rocks. I can pretty much guarantee that meth has been smoked and/or made inside that car.

I've legit always wanted to find some cheap car for a few hundred bucks, but never had the opportunity come up. I did once buy a non-working harley and that was the only "project" ive ever taken on.

My favorite winter car is my MT 2019 VW Alltrack SEL. I love that car to death, but also am spending a lot of time in a Macan which bores me to death. My R8 doesnt care if its winter or summer as its my real daily driver. No reason I see not to drive it all winter.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The OP's car rocks. Anyhing that cost 400 and had a firebird wing on it with a leaf blower rocks. I can pretty much guarantee that meth has been smoked and/or made inside that car.

I've legit always wanted to find some cheap car for a few hundred bucks, but never had the opportunity come up. I did once buy a non-working harley and that was the only "project" ive ever taken on.
Ya, the more meth involved in the previous ownership the more fun the experience. I was going to sell this focus after the gambler but I became too attached to it and it became my winter car/dog hauler. I actually buy, fix, and sell cars as a hobby, that engine in the back of the car was for a Z4 I bought with a bad head gasket. I'm lucky enough that my hobby covers the payments and insurance on the R8.
But since I needed another gambler car, I picked up this beauty running and driving for $900. No it doesn't have any exhaust on it. Yes, it does actually sound a bit like an F1 over 4k RPM. And no, it won't go on a 2-post lift because the front jack points rusted out.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 20 of 82 Posts