Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

· Registered
528 Posts
Speaking of M5's, I kind of fantasize about getting an old E60 M5 and putting all season tires on it, then driving it all winter. That way I have another V10 in the garage. But I hear too many stories about their reliability.

The other thought I've had is to buy a beat up old car for $5k that has a manual transmission. As I have never had stick shift experience, it would be a perfect car to spend a season learning how to drive a manual.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Speaking of M5's, I kind of fantasize about getting an old E60 M5 and putting all season tires on it, then driving it all winter. That way I have another V10 in the garage. But I hear too many stories about their reliability.

The other thought I've had is to buy a beat up old car for $5k that has a manual transmission. As I have never had stick shift experience, it would be a perfect car to spend a season learning how to drive a manual.
The E60 M5 is semi unreliable. They get the stigma because there's multiple things that can break catastrophically and multiple things that require a one time fix with the engine out. The problem is no one is really willing to pull the motor and they get put off until the engine eats itself. That is to say that if you buy one, pull the motor, replace the VANOS pumps, rod bearings, throttle actuators, and clutch/flywheel, it shouldn't be any less reliable than any other car. I just helped a friend engine swap his E60 M5 and it really wasn't as awful as I was expecting. The values on these cars are being kept low because of its reliability stigma, but I firmly believe they will go up in value in the future. It's the only V10 sedan ever made (not to mention the 1600 or so manuals) and historically car values don't care about reliability (see FD RX-7, any previous BMW M cars, Ferrari 355, etc).
That said, I'd totally go the second route. Hell, just get a decent manual Miata for $5k, enjoy it, then if you want, go seek out an E60 M5 manual.

· Registered
1,871 Posts
E39's are where it's at.

My winter sled:
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Snow Automotive side marker light

KO4'd, 550cc injectors, 3" catless, lowered on ST's w/ 18" avuses, 5sp 1.8t

Reactions: beamon

· Registered
373 Posts
I daily my RWS. But I did pick up a 2006 a3 as a beater or when the R8 is getting work done. The a3 replaced my 2008 TT 3.2 that got destroyed by Hurricane Ian.

· Registered
162 Posts
Have my wife's q5 but I have driving it so I picked up a Grand Cherokee earlier this year and I am bored of it now so getting my order of Bronco Wildtrak next month. Should keep me entertained for a few months I would see. I modded the GC a bit to make it stand out and run 20" with winter tires in winter and it has its 22" wheels with summer tires for the summer.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car

· Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe Vorsteiner wing/front lip 1016 side skirts, Capristo Exhaust
777 Posts
SQ5 best bang for the buck.

· Registered
528 Posts
Have my wife's q5 but I have driving it so I picked up a Grand Cherokee earlier this year and I am bored of it now so getting my order of Bronco Wildtrak next month. Should keep me entertained for a few months I would see. I modded the GC a bit to make it stand out and run 20" with winter tires in winter and it has its 22" wheels with summer tires for the summer. View attachment 283232
^ You should've gotten a Trackhawk. You wouldn't have been bored....

· Registered
162 Posts
^I know. I really tired for the TH or even a SRT but with them stopping production of them I didn't have a choice. I do like the GC and I think the fact that it's not a SRT or TH is the biggest reason I don't enjoy it anymore after 10 months of having it.

· Registered
18 Posts
Now that it's winter and temps are getting too low and salt is getting too common, it's time to break out the winter car. I've thought about getting a nice WRX, Focus RS, or other fun rally car, but even if I had one, I'd still want to keep it out of the salt. So, I present to you, my beautiful ex-gambler 500 '05 Ford Focus ZX3 manual that cost me an entire $400. I love this car to death and have put about 20k miles on it including a recent road trip from Detroit to Dallas with my dog in the back. Makes for a good engine hauler too. What's everyone else rocking in their frozen wasteland?
View attachment 283157
View attachment 283158
View attachment 283160
In all it's gambler glory before I gave it a new front end. And yes, that's a gas powered leaf blower (read "supercharger") and a wing from a 4th gen firebird deck screwed into the roof.
A7 and F150 V6 Turbo

· Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
416 Posts

· Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
416 Posts
I don't even have a photo of mine but use this as my daily. 2.2 Diesel (I know) and 6MT with full alcantara seats and double pan roof :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Actually really fun to drive and I don't care if it dies. 125k miles now commuting to work. UGLY AS HELL but reliable!

· Registered
507 Posts
I'm in northern California so I don't have to deal with snow or roads with salt....my daily for work is an A5 and for my fishing/crabbing trips I use an old 2000 Honda accord (you can barely see it behind the A5) that has been in the family for the last 23 years. I also use it when I have to go or park in sketchy places as well...not risking any of my audis in those environments....and both of them are manuals to go along with my gated R8.
Wheel Holden commodore Car Tire Vehicle

21 - 40 of 79 Posts