Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My black emblems showed up today. I got the R8, and V10 badges swapped. Use a hair dryer and dental floss.

But the hood and rear rings will not budge. Any tricks or ideas? I watch youtube videos and it looks so easy.

Maybe I'll just swing by a shop... but so much easier if I can just do it myself.

TIA

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a pita... I heated mine with a blow dryer, then used dental floss under the edge of each emblem. Removing the emblem is not so difficult, but the residual glue... that's another story.

·
Registered
8 Posts
3m adhesive removing wheel (round rubber wheel you chuck up in a drill and spin on the adhesive to remove it mechanically) and 3m adhesive remover are I think going to be your best bet. Sounds stupid but I was pleasantly surprised how well the purpose designed adhesive remover removes adhesive vs. generic, but strong solvents such as lacquer thinner, acetone, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, dental floss is not very strong and breaks under little tension. I'd recommend trying high test fishing line. The issue is the fishing like is very smooth and has little cutting ability.. im sure someone makes something more purposeful with some cutting ability if needed

·
Registered
Switzer GTR, Protomotive 996TT, RS4, 17 Suzuka R8
48 Posts
Goo Gone to get the residual adhesive off

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, dental floss is not very strong and breaks under little tension. I'd recommend trying high test fishing line. The issue is the fishing like is very smooth and has little cutting ability.. im sure someone makes something more purposeful with some cutting ability if needed
I will need to pick some up. Correct, dental floss is not strong enough for the audi rings on the hood and rear

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Soak the area with GooGone, and slowly heat it up, re-apply googone, wiggle emblems. It's a process. But it's straightforward.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That worked for me. And a pair of garden gloves.
Yup. Got them off. Thanks everybody.

Car looks SOOOO much better with the gloss black badges on Daytona Gray. The gloss black looks fantastic against DG. I have the 18 black optics package with black wheels, etc so looks great.

Next up: what to do with the silver gas gap. I'll likely wrap gloss black, then put the black R8 emblem on it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure. here's a few. Next up is to wrap the lower blade gloss black to match the upper one. Then what to do with the gas cap... probably wrap it gloss black as well.

Trying to get rid of all the chrome....while chrome is "classy" I prefer a more aggressive look :)

Reactions: R8ANB

·
Registered
4 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts