Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my US R8 has finally been slotted for production (either July or August), I'm wondering when my car actually gets a VIN or production number assigned. I've had my "commission" number for 14 months, but I gather it will finally move to the "next level". My dealer thinks the VIN is not assigned until construction actually begins on the factory floor.
Thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmm.. no response yet. Let me clarify my question. For those out there with custom orders, did you ever receive official written confirmation of your order from either the factory or Audi NA that provided the production week for your car, and did it include a new order number or VIN? Or at least did your dealer ever pass on this kind of info?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I wasn't notified of anything like that.

I would have thought the VIN would be when build starts. If your car was delayed I suspect the VIN would be different than they first thought.

Do you need the number for any particular reason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I have a couple of reasons. Mainly, I'd like simply to continue to track my car's progress. Frankly, I've been fortunate enough to have a lot of very nice cars over the years -- usually special orders for paint, interior, etc-- but the last year and a half trying to get this R8 has been the worst buying experience I've ever endured, between misinformation received from every level, having 2 buyers getting cars ahead of mine while I've been first on my dealer's list from day one (Dec '06), traveling to Neckarsulm and Ingolstadt for info, etc. So among other reasons, I'd like solid factory confirmation of the details of my order. It's an extremely high-spec (for US), Audi Exclusive car and I want to be sure there will be no production errors.

So I'm just thinking some others out there might be able to share their experience even though in your case no info was provided.

Thanks to everyone for indulging me in this quest!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For anyone interested, got my answer: the VIN is assigned at the time the production date is confirmed. (Which is well before actual production time.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts