Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how long do you guys go between drives before it's time to hook up to a trickle charger? A week, two, three, a month? Reading the manual, there's not any explicit guidance provided. It does say that certain systems will be automatically shut off (like interior lights, power seats, etc) if the car sits idle long enough ("several days or weeks"), but there's no guidance that I read regarding how long before a charger should be used. I've got my charger ready to go, and I guess there's no real harm to hook it up whenever... but I was curious nonetheless.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased a "Battery Tinder Jr." from a local auto parts store for like $30 & plug it up as soon as I park the car in the garage. Leave it on till I drive it the next time. Is a great investment for ANYTHING(jet ski, lawn mower, motorcycle, etc...) that has a 12volt battery/electrical system that sits for an extended period of time. Have had one on my jet ski ever since I've owned it & have yet to need to replace the original battery.

Reactions: Stick_Shift_Nick

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
I'm not sure how long it would take the battery to drain to the point where it is a problem. I usually connect the battery tender if I think I might not drive for a few weeks or more. It only takes a minute to connect and it keeps the battery fresh.

Reactions: Stick_Shift_Nick

·
Registered
460 Posts
I had the car sitting in the garage for over 2 months last year without any charger and the battery was just fine once I started her up!

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Battery life all depends on battery health, some of the cars are in storage for 6-8 weeks with no problems.

As for battery chargers, make sure you get a high quality battery maintainer......not a trickle charger!

A trickle charger never stops supplying amps and will eventually burn out the plates.

A maintainer will let the battery start to decharge, then recharge it and so on as this is what keeps the plates inside the battery healthy (same as your phone).

If you have an AGM battery (all glass mat), then even more care needs to be taken.

Bentley do a really good maintainer with a magnetic breakaway connector in case you forget to disconnect it when moving the car.

Not too expensive either all things considered.

Cheers Ricky

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hi Ricky

How do I know which battery is in my vehicle. I asked at the dealership when purchasing the R8 about a battery charger and they advised to get a CTEK Multi MXS 7.0 Battery Charger and it does look like Ctek make the Bentley and Porsche chargers.

mxs7.0.jpg
index.jpg

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
Ricky is 100% right...the Battery Tender is NOT GOOD for your car. It was well marketed a few years ago and now everyone thinks its the best product!

The truth is...you need a battery maintainer as Ricky already said...it actually behaves/mimics what your battery would otherwise be going through if you were still driving the car on a regular basis, so it doesn't kill your battery's longevity.

I got myself one of these, and FWIW, Porsche and Audi sells the exact same unit as an OEM product for usually twice the price.

Its called C-TEK..here is the generic one you can buy online or any automotive store I suppose:

Here is the OEM Porsche

OEM Lamborghini

OEM Mercedes

·
Registered
483 Posts
Where do you folks plug in the charger??

In my old car, I used to have an active 12V plug in the armrest.

Is there a preferred place??

·
Super Moderator
6,084 Posts
Neither power plug is active on the R8 unless key is on so you need to go right to the battery. So if you are going to use it a lot good idea to get one with breakaway connection so you can leave hooked up to battery

·
Registered
724 Posts
Neither power plug is active on the R8 unless key is on so you need to go right to the battery. So if you are going to use it a lot good idea to get one with breakaway connection so you can leave hooked up to battery
I leave a piece of polystyrene pipe insulation sat on top of my clocks binnacle when I have the optimiser connected, it just reminds me when I get in the car to disconnect it

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Those C-Tek ones are the unit I am on about!! Thank you!

The Bentley one has a mag breakaway connector you fit to the bottom of the bumper / inside of luggage trim etc and then it runs a lead direct to the battery. That might be an option on the others as well?

How much are the generic ones out of interest? #GroupBuy! lol

Cheers Ricky

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks RS4! I wonder if I can tap the fuse box as an alternative......

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ricky is 100% right...the Battery Tender is NOT GOOD for your car. It was well marketed a few years ago and now everyone thinks its the best product!

The truth is...you need a battery maintainer as Ricky already said...it actually behaves/mimics what your battery would otherwise be going through if you were still driving the car on a regular basis, so it doesn't kill your battery's longevity.

I got myself one of these, and FWIW, Porsche and Audi sells the exact same unit as an OEM product for usually twice the price.

Its called C-TEK..here is the generic one you can buy online or any automotive store I suppose:

Here is the OEM Porsche

OEM Lamborghini

OEM Mercedes
Any model in particular you recommend for CTEK? There's quite a few to choose from. The website doesn't do a good job doing the explanation on it.

·
Premium Member
4,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is the CTEK unit I purchased for the R8:

http://smartercharger.com/products/batterychargers/ctek-multi-us-7002/

It'll do all of the "maintenance" stuff mentioned here, and it was a "middle of the road" (still $150) model. The higher-end model ($300) didn't do much more except supply capability for large trucks (not in my garage).

Looks like the R8's battery cover is in the "frunk" and very easily accessible. I'll probably hook it up in the next week or two if the driving season truly looks over at that point. The R8 manual doesn't provide any guidance, but it DOES suggest that the car can go "multiple weeks" without a charger/maintainer by shutting down systems. Mine is a 2015, so the battery is brand new - shouldn't be a problem, I'd think. Hell, I've parked my cars in the airport long-term lot for 2+ months without a problem. :)

FWIW - the guide also does say it's an AGM battery (as I'd suspect).

·
Registered
148 Posts
The R8's battery is super easy to get to under the hood. Just clamp on a quick charger and check the voltage and press start. Usually around 11.9v I charge. Just get a nice auto charger and about 6-12 hrs it's fully charged.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I put it on the charger (Ctek) if it's been sitting a week and I don't plan on driving it in the next couple days.

Once on, I put the front hood down, but just to the safety latch, so it shows in the display, and I won't forget it before driving.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Battery life all depends on battery health, some of the cars are in storage for 6-8 weeks with no problems.

As for battery chargers, make sure you get a high quality battery maintainer......not a trickle charger!

A trickle charger never stops supplying amps and will eventually burn out the plates.

A maintainer will let the battery start to decharge, then recharge it and so on as this is what keeps the plates inside the battery healthy (same as your phone).

If you have an AGM battery (all glass mat), then even more care needs to be taken.

Bentley do a really good maintainer with a magnetic breakaway connector in case you forget to disconnect it when moving the car.

Not too expensive either all things considered.

Cheers Ricky
Hey Ricky,

Which maintainer did you buy for R8 V10 2014.

Cheers

V

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
I've had the original battery in my 2014 V10+ (built in 2013) for about 4 years now - generally keep the CTEK (MUS4.3) plugged up to it almost continuously (during very cold months) and about every 2-3 weeks between rides the rest of the time. My battery shows well on testers and has gone as long as 5 weeks (this past October) without the maintainer and still started normally, no codes no issues ...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts