Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get rid of the PZero’s and upgrade to the PS4S and then maybe a set of Sport Cup 2’s for the track.

now there are many variations of the PS4’s. The pics included are ones specific to Audi which are the “AO” version
But I scoured through a ton of tire sites, forums, etc and found that the “Ford Performance” version of the PS4’s are 1lb lighter for each rear tire. (Front’s are the same). There’s also a Ferrari version of the PS4’s.

I see why the same exact tire model in the same exact size can vary in price. Even $100-$200 price diff for each rear tire isn’t a concern. What I’m really concerned about is buying the BEST VERSION OF THE PS4S for my Gen 2 Plus.

Does anyone have a different version than the (AO) Audi spec for this tire?

if so, why did you buy it? And what’s the difference? Or should I stick to the (AO) and call it a day?

·
Premium Member
2017 V10 Plus. Mythos Black Metallic>X-Pel Black Stealth full body PP+9H Ceramic
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea def. btw. The lightest PS4S I’ve found was the “Ford Performance” spec. I think it was on tire rack

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just went on Audi site and they explained the “Audi Original” versions of the PS4S. Audi Original Tires | Service & Parts | Audi USA
Think you might get free road hazard also for a couple of years if installed at the dealer. This is really good to know bc I get a 35% discount.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I purchased from the dealer for a couple reason;

1. Get AO Spec
2. They take care and don't damage the wheels or the CCB's. An R8 Tech is tasked. They also use Audi Spec wheel weights at my dealer (which are in multiple weights 1/4, 1/2, 1 oz), so you don't get a bunch of 1/4oz weights all over like at local tire shops.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I purchased from the dealer for a couple reason;

1. Get AO Spec
2. They take care and don't damage the wheels or the CCB's. An R8 Tech is tasked. They also use Audi Spec wheel weights at my dealer (which are in multiple weights 1/4, 1/2, 1 oz), so you don't get a bunch of 1/4oz weights all over like at local tire shops.
I totally agree. That’s exactly what I’m gonna do. I thought the “AO” spec tire was BS. And there’s very little difference. Butafter really digging in the research last night I was wrong. There is a big difference with an AO spec PS4S and others.
I didn’t know this either but I spoke to my Audi GM friend and he said that the tires are also warrantied for parts and labor when you buy/install then thru the dealer! Road hazard warranty. Pretty cool!

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh and if they scratch the rim (especially since I just had mine redone in gloss black) then the dealer will have them fixed no questions asked! Well at least my Audi dealer will.
I remember I had tires done on my last car at Mavis Tire. Well they scratched the lip of the wheel with the machine that threads the tire on the rim. And they said “well that’s unavoidable.” BULLSHIT!!! Maybe it’s unavoidable for them bc they don’t have the proper equipment. But not Audi. I’ve seen how they do it. They add a lip protector to the wheel and then some type of lubricant (sounds like I’m talking about manufacturing a condom lol). But it’s similar. And the wheels were perfect after. Who cares if you spend a few hundred more using Audi vs. Some tire place? At least you know you get the dealership road hazard warranty. And if anything is wrong Audi will fix it ASAP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.