Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

So I'm in process of buying a R8 (fingers crossed), one issue is that the car needs new tires. Previously I have always shopped at Discount Tire (many cars over the past 20 years), and they have always treated me well. One of the biggest draws for me is their tire warranty plan and the fact that they are nation wide. The R8 will be my first time owning a car of this "caliber", and I'm wondering if others have had a good experience taking their R8 to Discount Tire?

Reading through past threads, I know some members, take the wheels and tires off their car, and just bring them in (sans car) for changing. While that wouldn't be impossible for me to do, I'd rather avoid it if I can. I also (if memory serves) read one member horror story of taking their R8 in for tires, and the tech caved in a lower rocker panel due to putting it on the lift incorrectly....:oops:

Should I instead see if my local German mechanic can handle tire installation?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No. Do not bring it to discount tire. Bring it to someone who specializes in this caliber of cars. Even for a tire change. As you mentioned, simply lifting the car is a challenge as the bottom of the car is covered and you can't see where exactly to position the lift. Often, this results in bent rocker panels like you mentioned. Happened on mine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Tire Rack ships to where ever you want your tires installed. I have them ship to our local high-end alignment shop. Tire rack will also ship wheels and tires mounted and balanced to your house where you can install them at your leisure.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It honestly depends on the location as they won't all have the same machines. If you're located in LA, I know of a really good mobile service that I've used a few times and they've never damaged my wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not really directly related I suppose, but I know someone with a gt3rs and they got one of their wheels very damaged because of the center lock system. The tire shop couldn't figure out how to torque it properly so they went way overboard and stripped some threads so he had to get a new wheel.

It's a fancy car so just take it somewhere where they've dealt with this type of stuff before.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought new tires from Tire Rack had them shipped to my house (sort of, long story) and took the tires in the back of my wife’s SUV to the local Audi dealer. Great experience with Tire Rack. A friend has taken both of his Ferrari’s to Costco for tires (multiple times, he drives them a lot) and has had no problems, we both got the same tires and the pricing was identical for the 4S, where Costco saves you money IMO is on installation and they occasionally run “special sales” plus I think he gets a % back with COSTCO credit card or something

·
Registered
45 Posts
My local Audi dealer was very reasonable on a set PS4S's. Same price as Tire Rack shipped and installed. Might want to give them a call, but there's no way I'd trust a regular tire shop with this car...

·
Registered
67 Posts
I tried to give my Audi dealer a chance to price match, but they told me they couldn’t sell me Michelin’s, only Pirellis and I wasn’t Interested

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was thinking about this last night and remembered that recently I've seen something about mobil installers. Tire Rack has some sort of association with a company or companies that do mobile installation, so that might be something to look into as well.

·
Registered
2018 R8 PLUS Coupe
65 Posts
IMHO, I would only allow a tire installer to touch my rims if they used a "non-touch" type tire installer!
The proper machine will NOT ever touch the rim, and therefore will not damage your very valuable wheels!

Hopefully this youtube link will hyperlink.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts