Votes: 30 24.6%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, as we now have 3 potential engines coming out for the Gallardo.

So, factoring in a guesstimate of the price difference, which engine would you choose?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm curious, as we now have 3 potential engines coming out for the Gallardo.

So, factoring in a guesstimate of the price difference, which engine would you choose?
Don't you mean 3 potential engines coming out for the R8 ... :confused:

I'll reserve my vote until the car we're talking about is confirmed ... ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
It will be more than than a $15,000 a difference. It will be about $30,000. If I were Audi, I would charge $95000 for the R8 and $125,000 for the V10. People would pay that. Power seats, navigation, the carbon fiber interior, and the automatic transmission should be options. It would be a mistake to charge as much as the Aston Martin V8 Vantage because a.) that costs more than a 911 GT3 and b.) people buy the V8 Vantage because they want to have an Aston Martin. There are cars that people will pay any amount of money for, but the R8 is not one of them. The 911 is still a strong competitor and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds doesn't warrant spending almost as much as you would for a 911 Turbo.
I have come up with a solution to the competition between the R8, the Gallardo, and the Murcielago.
The R8 should target the 911 C4S at around $90,000, 420 hp, 4.6 0-60, 12.8 1/4 mile
V10 - 911 Turbo at $125k, 500 hp, 3.7 0-60, 11.9 1/4 mile
Gallardo - $180k the next generation F430 will have a V10, 600 hp 3.4 0-60, 11.4. 1/4 mile.
Murcielago - 750 hp+, 2.9 0-60, 11.0 1/4 mile
The R8 is supposed to be a little more comfortable than a 911, being just a touch more GT. It would be acceptable if it were not faster than a comparable 911, but it should be able to keep up. I would also like to see a slightly more exclusive V10 that is tuned to the Gallardo settings, being a car like the 911 GT2, that costs as much as the .
I'd take the V10 because I have no way of sizing up the performance or cost of the diesel. I don't like the exhaust note of diesels either. The diesel would have to be very special to win me over.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Does anyone know the weight difference between the V8 & V10 engines, including ancilliaries (extra cooling etc)?
I'm not 100% certain but I think I recall something like ... the V10 being around 35kg heavier than the V8 ... give ot take 5kg.

·
Registered
439 Posts
To me, it's all about the handling balance. Coming out of an SL55 with 63% more torque, I was astonished at how fast the R8 V8 feels (and that it matches the SL55 on quarter mile times and trap speeds). While I thought the relative lack of power would be an issue for me, it has turned out not to be so.

Instead, I've become so besotted with the handling and balance of the car that those things have moved to the top of my list in terms of debating whether to switch to a V10. I have always thought more power was better. But with this car, I'm not quite so sure.

If the V10 can keep the weight in control and not upset the superb balance of the car, I will move to the V10, probably without worrying too much about the cost premiium (which I assume is going to be on the order of $30,000+). If the early reviews of the V10 suggest a loss of handling edge, though, I'll quite happily stick with the V8.

·
Registered
617 Posts
To me, it's all about the handling balance. Coming out of an SL55 with 63% more torque, I was astonished at how fast the R8 V8 feels (and that it matches the SL55 on quarter mile times and trap speeds). While I thought the relative lack of power would be an issue for me, it has turned out not to be so.

Instead, I've become so besotted with the handling and balance of the car that those things have moved to the top of my list in terms of debating whether to switch to a V10. I have always thought more power was better. But with this car, I'm not quite so sure.

If the V10 can keep the weight in control and not upset the superb balance of the car, I will move to the V10, probably without worrying too much about the cost premiium (which I assume is going to be on the order of $30,000+). If the early reviews of the V10 suggest a loss of handling edge, though, I'll quite happily stick with the V8.
It is possible that the potential handling issues could be overcome by moving the engine further forward by bringing the bulkhead directly behind the seats. This has been certainly demonstrated with the recent V12 pictures.

Now, would we be prepared to loose a bit of cabin space for extra performance and balance?

·
Registered
50 Posts
This being my first post, I hope I don't embarass myself in the company of such high end automobile enthusiasts (I'm but a humble "wannabe" hoping someday for his shot (and working diligently towards the goal) of owning an R8 :p

In any case, I would also like to pose the question as to cost factor- in terms of maintenance. While I understand that one who can afford a car of this calibre is not so highly concerned with maintenance prices, knowing a bit about the enormous costs of servicing ferraris and lamborghinis, I would imagine the V10 might potentiallly take away a bit of the daily driveability and flexiblity that the current model enjoys. Do any of you (particularly those who have L or F car experience have any input as to how much more the V10 might be to service, or keep running reliably?

·
Registered
156 Posts
You have a good point,
however i think the V10 can be maintained at a fairly descent cost,
i guess it all depends on how much they pushed the engine.

For example the e60 M5, i don't believe the maintenance on this car is that much, especially compared to lambo's v10.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.