Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I'm new here and loving the R8 discussions. Thank you for all your knowledge and advice. I'm learning so much!

So, I'm looking to buy my first R8 and wanted to get everyone's advice/opinions. There are two options and I'm not sure which to purchase...

2014 Black(ext)/Black Leather(int), auto, 41k miles, carbon fiber inlays and engine bay, B&O sound system, $75k

or

2015 Suzuka Grey(ext)/Red Leather(int), auto, 35k miles, standard interior and sound system, red RB brakes, $79k

Any thoughts? Thanks for helping me choose!

·
Registered
447 Posts
The '15 would be my choice
Btw, red interior could only be orderd with the leather upgrade-not full leather but much improved over the Alcantera std interior.
Condition/history are still key

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would say I would go with the one that has the better service history, but also what options you prefer. Are they close enough to see in person? I would also suggest doing that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Larry/FeliRocho...

Both are actually requiring a flight but close enough so that I can drive back home. Both, have had good service records and are in good condition. Neither have a salvage title, or any damage, both have clean titles. So, I'm really torn because I love both of the colors but not 100% sure which way to go. Of course, I'm also thinking about this as an investment so resale is important for me. Any other thoughts? Thank you!

·
Registered
774 Posts
for me the sound system upgrade is irrelevant
black is always great looking but a PIA and Carbon fiber isn't as noticeable given lack of contrast
as always, go for the best car you can afford and afford to enjoy
to me it would be the 2015 but play both sellers against each other to insure the best deal

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Suzuka Grey is always admired and appears to be a favourite of just about everyone. For that reason alone it would be my choice.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Black is my only option.

IMAG0018 (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Black is my only option too, but with light grey interior, searched for months to find mine and it had to be a V8 too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
1) Service History,
2) Your required options.
3) All-round condition, as it often changes once you see them in person, one person’s mint condition is another person’s pretty good condition. Also doing the PPI might change your mind on either one.

Good Luck.

Suzuka Grey

·
Vendor
272 Posts
My vote is for the Suzuka Grey. It's newer and has less mileage BUT, like what others are saying, PPI and service history need to play a heavy factor in this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I only like black so I'm hoping its the better option between the 2 but it looks like the grey r8 has lower miles. why don't you drive them both and compare which is better? maybe the grey has issues even if its the lower mileage one. black is just so sexy and bad a$$ though...just saying:)

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I agree, you should go with the Red one... :) Oh wait...

To be honest, the model year difference is probably irrelevant. 2014 and 2015 were the only two (US-based) facelift years, so they're both pretty special in my book. They are nearly identical in every way except for a few - such as the introduction of the Sport Exhaust and red painted calipers for 2015. Of course, 2015 will be one year newer - which plays in your favor as far as purchasing an extended warranty, all else being equal.

To be honest, though, neither of the cars you're presenting would be preferable options for me. Options, while few and far between on the R8, really do change the aesthetics and appeal for me. The V10 had many more options standard, so this is even more true when looking at a V8.

- The B&O, while far from the best B&O (e.g. my BMW's B&O is 1200 watts and far superior sounding), is still going to be a better sounding system all around. I'd opt for a car with it equipped.

- The interior trim is very plain unless you've optioned carbon fiber, piano black, or leather (yes, this was an option). Without one of these, you'll get more plastic. Carbon fiber is by far the most popular of the optional trims and for good reason - it's beautiful and sporty. It's also in your face - doors, dash canopy, center console area - worth getting it.

- Extended Leather (pre-facelift) or Full Leather (facelift) - you made no mention of this, but it's an important option in my book, as well. Both were intended to add more leather to the car (dash, doors, etc.). When the facelift cars were introduced, they changed this option from "extended" to "full" - the name reflecting the fact that they really did now cover EVERYTHING possible with leather, now including the navigation system surround (which looks gorgeous), center console, and parking brake. A car with full leather and carbon fiber trim is going to feel substantially more upscale than one with no extended/full leather and standard trim. So, these two options are probably the most significant to the interior aesthetics.

- Contrast Stitching or Diamond Stitching - in all model years, you had the option for contrast stitching. This makes all of those leather pieces really pop. For example, my black leather has red contrast stitching. In the facelift years, you had the option for diamond stitching, which added a diamond quilted pattern to the seats, door cards, and headliner. It was a bit much to my eyes, so I went with contrast stitching.

- Carbon Engine Bay Trim - this was standard on the V10 but optional on the V8. Given that the engine is under glass, the carbon trim really dresses it up over the standard plastics. Well worth it.

- Carbon Sideblades - this one is fairly obvious. On black cars, however, it doesn't stand out well... so while I'd say many people prefer the carbon blades, a silver contrast blade on black or daytona looks great to me.

- Sport Exhaust - this was only available on the 2015 models. It's an upgraded exhaust - the exhaust tips have the black optics and it's considerably louder than stock. I'm very happy with it, and it's a very convenient (and cost effective) option if you would otherwise find yourself swapping the exhaust for something aftermarket.

- Red Calipers - another 2015 only option and is exactly what the name implies. Given that it's easy enough to paint calipers if you wanted, it's probably not a huge deal whether or not you find a car with them.

So, that's not ALL the options but a lot of the big ones to consider. I'd highly recommend finding a well-optioned car as a priority. I'd put the full leather close to the top of the list since you're not going to add this to a car (or at least for any reasonable cost or effort). I'd probably follow that up closely with all of the carbon trim pieces (blades, interior, and engine). These are very expensive options from the factory, and buying OEM parts will be costly to swap after the fact. There are other CF manufacturers who have parts, but some of them are downright poor quality.

Beyond the options, and as others have said, you need to consider the service history, mileage, owners, etc. The biggest emphasis would probably be on service history. If the car (a) has all of its records and (b) demonstrates that all services have been performed as expected / called-for, you've met the minimum bar in my book. Then you're looking for WHO performed the service (preferably Audi but a good indy shop in some cases can be as good or better), what was found, any history of systemic or recurring problems, etc. Beyond the service records, I'd also consider:

- Mileage adjusted for driving conditions: what I mean by this is that 10k miles in the city is likely more like 30k miles in the suburbs. Consider the mileage, but also how and where it was put on the car.

- Owners: it's controversial, but my take is less is more. For 2014 and 2015 you should be able to find 1-owner cars.

- Usage: was it daily driven or a weekend car? Clearly, even with the same mileage, you'd expect less wear and tear on the weekend car. Daily driven cars may be seeing some circumstances that are less preferable. Was it used in snow? Road salt?

- Damage: any damage history?

- Paint and Leather: these are expensive to repair and recondition. If the car has a PPF, and has had it since NEW, that's a big plus in my book. Respraying is difficult and expensive to get right. PPF, if still young enough in its life, can be worth quite a lot. To fully paint correct and fully PPF my car, the bill was over $9k.

There's a lot to consider... but I'd look for the car that ticks as many of the above boxes first. Lastly, I'd probably consider the color. The R8 looks great in so many colors that it's hard to go wrong.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts