Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm going back and forth between two cars, a 2008 coupe 6 speed (V8 of course) and a 2011 V10 spyder R-Tronic. The V8 stick is $72-ish with 35K miles. V10 R-Tronic is $55K-ish with 92K miles. I reallllly want a stick, but the V10 is a screaming bargain. I also think the stick shift car prices are getting pretty frothy these days. Lots of stick shift coupes in the high 50s just a couple years ago. I just can't tell if the current high prices are here to stay or are a temporary phenomenon. Thoughts? The bargain-hunter side of me says V10. The emotional side of me says 6 speed.

Oh, and in the interest of full disclosure, the V8 has aftermarket wheels (tasteful), valved exhaust (desirable to me), PPF entire car, coilovers all 4 corners, and a tune. The V10 is stock. It's also my old car which is now coming available again, so I do know a good bit about its condition. Still has a Fidelity platinum warranty till March.

IMG_6298.jpg

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
The V8 would be my choice in your situation. It's manual and low mileage - neither of which the Spyder is, also the fact that you owned that actual car previously would seem like going backwards.

Reactions: Stick_Shift_Nick

·
Registered
180 Posts
My $0.02
  • V8 manual is more drivers car
  • V10 Spyder is more cruiser car
  • both are slow by today standards
  • prices with depreciating $ are to stay and increase only
  • V10 car does not look good as short term investment due to mileage but is indeed cheap to begin with

·
Registered
47 Posts
v10 is not a bargain. 92k miles. you will have to give it away to sell again. neither seem like a great bargain but would go V8 manual in those two options

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
v10 is not a bargain. 92k miles. you will have to give it away to sell again. neither seem like a great bargain but would go V8 manual in those two options
That's one thing I'm worried about. Once it crosses over 100K miles I can't imagine it would be worth much.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Manual. It may yield a bit more money. But for sure will attract a certain amount of buyers. Automatic you can always find no problem.....

·
Registered
176 Posts
If going for looks that v8 R8 looks way better then the spider...by far. Between those 2 cars no question the v8. If more power is the concern ...bolt on a Vf supercharger ...would be a great fun car. Like others have said ...92k miles or 100k is the same to most buyers shopping.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
No brainer. V8 manual. Coupe looks wayyyy better as well 😎 I was in the exact same predicament last year, I was looking at my current gated V8 and an auto V10...I am so glad I went with the manual. Sure the V10 offers more power but in the end it wasn't enough for me to give up a 6-speed gear box. So much more engaging. Good Luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would love to talk to the guy who put the 92k miles on that spyder. Can you share his contact info? I have about 45k on my car and plan to take it to 100k, and would be very interested to hear his maintenance costs and issues he has had. My car has had no problems so far, but like with all cars, I do expect some to creep in as the mileage increases.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Agree with the general consensus here. I would still take the v8 manual even if they had the same mileage.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Gated V8 for sure. I believe the manuals will maintain their prices or even go up. Just look at the gated F430's. They are going for twice the price of a F1 auto tranny equivalent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would love to talk to the guy who put the 92k miles on that spyder. Can you share his contact info? I have about 45k on my car and plan to take it to 100k, and would be very interested to hear his maintenance costs and issues he has had. My car has had no problems so far, but like with all cars, I do expect some to creep in as the mileage increases.
Well, I put 22K of that mileage on it because like I said, it's my former car. The only major issue I had was at about 75K when the timing on one side of the engine got off slightly. Cost about 8K to fix and took three weeks. I gave the new owner the paperwork and unfortunately I don't remember the exact name of the issue. It seemed fine running (maybe just the tiniest hesitation) but a CEL came on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys! The consensus definitely seems to be manual over R-Tronic, even if it means "settling" for a V8.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For me I would go with the V10 granted it has 92K miles but if everything checks it out. I would get it, there is no comparison V8 vs V10🙌

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm big on the V10, but if your real desire is to have the manual, I would go that route. The V8 is no slouch and much more reasonable mileage. The mileage on the V10 alone would have me stay away from it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would also take a V8 manual over the V10 auto IF that were the only two options.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Most of us who have V8's really love the V8 sound and don't desire more speed. I would probably get a v10 if the price was the same, but I would not pay more for it. Unless you are tracking the car, does an extra few tenths of a second mean anything in real world driving other than for ego? Not in my book, but some disagree.

V8 sound is amazing.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Unless you are tracking the car, does an extra few tenths of a second mean anything in real world driving other than for ego? Not in my book, but some disagree.

V8 sound is amazing.
V10 sound is exhilarating. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts