Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on twin turboing my V10 in the next couple of years but I'm not going to go half ass, I'm going to do a build. We all know that can cost 50-200k, depending on how crazy you go.

I know there are superchargers out there for 20k (yes, yes, not the same animal) but it might hold me over until I shell out the big bucks for a full build.

Who has a supercharged V10?
Do you drive it hard?
Are there any V10s out there that have failed with a supercharger?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
I have a VF Engineering supercharged V10. I am very happy with this setup and chose it over the twin turbo setup. The power delivery is very smooth and linear. The car can be driven everyday, very normally. However, when you plant your foot the car is a beast. I am making about 800 crank hp and that is plenty for me. I loose traction in 1st, 2nd and third if conditions are not ideal like outside temperature or tire temp.

I highly recommend this setup and based on what other R8 and Lambo v10 owners have said online, this is a very reliable way to make useable power.

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
I have a VF Engineering supercharged V10. I am very happy with this setup and chose it over the twin turbo setup. The power delivery is very smooth and linear. The car can be driven everyday, very normally. However, when you plant your foot the car is a beast. I am making about 800 crank hp and that is plenty for me. I loose traction in 1st, 2nd and third if conditions are not ideal like outside temperature or tire temp.

I highly recommend this setup and based on what other R8 and Lambo v10 owners have said online, this is a very reliable way to make useable power.
Hi Dave,

All good using your standard clutch with this setup?

Best wishes.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts

What he said. I drove it really hard at COTA a couple of weeks ago, and at 165+ mph, it wasn't even breathing hard. No problems or issues whatsoever. VF-Engineering makes this thing run like a Swiss watch. And cooler than a stock V10 on the track. I'm very proud of it, and lucky to own it.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Hi Dave,

All good using your standard clutch with this setup?

Best wishes.
The new clutch is working great. I appreciate all the help you provided and the excellent advice.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What he said. I drove it really hard at COTA a couple of weeks ago, and at 165+ mph, it wasn't even breathing hard. No problems or issues whatsoever. VF-Engineering makes this thing run like a Swiss watch. And cooler than a stock V10 on the track. I'm very proud of it, and lucky to own it.

Any videos for me?

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
For the folks with the VF kit. How much did you guys pay for installation?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm happy with my VF Engineering supercharger. The programming is glitch free (no error codes). Docile when driving with my wife on board. 3.15 seconds to 60 when I get on it. I have no experience with twin turbo so I can't compare them.

Roger

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Install takes about 32 hours give or take. So budget $4k and you should be good.

I went with the stock clutch, not the Kevlar.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Install takes about 32 hours give or take. So budget $4k and you should be good.

32 hours... for a roots blower? Is there a fuel system upgrade or something? That's crazzzzyyyyyyy high for a supercharger that's not custom.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I'm happy with my VF Engineering supercharger. The programming is glitch free (no error codes). Docile when driving with my wife on board. 3.15 seconds to 60 when I get on it. I have no experience with twin turbo so I can't compare them.

Roger
3.15 seconds? I would think it would even less. The Huracan with 610hp and the new dual clutch is doing 2.5-2.6 seconds?

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

$4k for install but what about the kit? Curious if this is something I may consider in the future if I keep the car long enough.

Feel free to PM me

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
$4k for install but what about the kit? Curious if this is something I may consider in the future if I keep the car long enough.

Feel free to PM me
VF's website lists the kit at $26.5k.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts

Feel free to PM me
What am I PMing you for? I don't sell the kit, I just own one.

·
Premium Member
1,023 Posts
Any videos for me?
I was just learning the track for the first time, so I didn't have my video rolling, but jkrmit got some footage from behind me (he was being nice, because he is just insanely fast, but smooth)

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/5-general-discussion/68074-anyone-heading-out-cota-w-mvp.html#post572121

The VF kit is really almost custom, since they designed it from the ground up for this very low production V10 engine. To me, the price is a bargain given the quality and the low volume.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was just learning the track for the first time, so I didn't have my video rolling, but jkrmit got some footage from behind me (he was being nice, because he is just insanely fast, but smooth)

http://www.r8talk.com/forums/5-general-discussion/68074-anyone-heading-out-cota-w-mvp.html#post572121

The VF kit is really almost custom, since they designed it from the ground up for this very low production V10 engine. To me, the price is a bargain given the quality and the low volume.
Just watched the videos... please let me know when everyone goes out there next. If you wanna do a day at my local track in Dallas, I will host it! I have a garage and some toys there :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
32 hours... for a roots blower? Is there a fuel system upgrade or something? That's crazzzzyyyyyyy high for a supercharger that's not custom.

I think I remember that the intercooler gets mounted up front, which could explain some of that 32 hours?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I remember that the intercooler gets mounted up front, which could explain some of that 32 hours?
I don't see an intercooler in this photo...I believe that black box is a self contained coolant system, with the pump on the side.. but don't see an intercooler at all

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't see an intercooler in this photo...I believe that black box is a self contained coolant system, with the pump on the side.. but don't see an intercooler at all
Could it really survive without an intercooler/radiator, though? I have no idea - I've only played with air to air intercoolers on my juiced up STI.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts