Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m waiting for delivery of the R8, it’s my first Audi and I would be interested in other opinions about why you selected the R8.

For me it was a high performance sports car that had the following characteristics.
-Stunning yet refined looks (ladies just won’t go for the Nissan GTR)
-Reliable and easy to maintain (close to Dealer Service Centers)
-Perfect combination of daily driver comfort and on track performance
-Easy, predictable handling - especially on the track *

Judging from the posts it seems the opinions vary a lot by driver type:
1) R8 used exclusively on the road (no track time)
2) R8 as daily driver plus a bit of track time
3) Weekend track warriors (folks who live for their track time )

I am in category 2. I would gladly let the track warriors pass me to keep my health and my car in good condition.

* I was seriously considering a 997TT. When I saw some 997TTs at the track they all appear to tail wag in the esses which is undesirable for me. (And the 911 is a tired design – apologies in advance to the Porsche enthusiasts)

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
For me the r8 is a car to drive whenever I don't need to carry masses of luggage and when the weather isn't too bad to really enjoy it on the roads - I have an a4 for that duty.

Big issues for me were the looks, sound, awd, dealer network (ruled out a lambo) and the mix of power/handling (inc the r-tronic). I knew going into it that it wouldn't be as fast as the m6 it was replacing in a straight line which was he m6's trump card but have found the r8's handling and real world twisty road pace to deliver a better overall experience for me.

I too considered the 997tt and was all set bar the test drive, but that car didn't deliver for me outside of balls to the wall driving which came as a bit of a shock as on paper the specs looked great.

·
Registered
347 Posts
can i simply say "because my wife approves.". actually it is a good balance between daily drive and exotic.

·
Registered
340 Posts
For me: exotic look without the exotic price and reliability, reliable, 4-year warranty, daily-drivability, mid-engine configuration, normally aspirated engine.

As an overall package, it is somewhere between a 997TT and F430.

I too also considered a 997TT but was ultimately turned away by its tired design, turbo lag, rear engine layout, and lack of visual excitement/passion.

IMO, the R8 targets the 997TT, M6, and SL AMG buyers and is a great alternative.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems like a few of have considered 997TT.
Other cars I considered were the classy Aston Martins (DB/Vantage) but their performance and handling are not up to par and I was concerned about reliability.

I looked at the BMW M3 which is a fine car but I did not want a coupe/sedan body style because they tend to body roll a bit more on sharp mountain turns compared to lower center of gravity cars like Porsche or R8.

My wife has the new SL63AMG and it is a huge improvement over past SL's which we have owned. It has a wider stance, more stable, a new Multi Clutch that is incredible. Great looking and handling car but like most Mercedes it is a very heavy car. HOWEVER - the R8 will kick the SL63's behind (I know she's lurking here)

·
Registered
131 Posts
The looks and the mid-engine along with the interior quality and every day driving qualities made it the best car for me. Considered the 997 2S but too many of those around here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife has the new SL63AMG and it is a huge improvement over past SL's which we have owned. . . HOWEVER - the R8 will kick the SL63's behind (I know she's lurking here)
My "heavy" SL63 AMG will beat your R8 easily! You just wait and see. My car's race-start function will leave you crying in the dust! I can't wait to take your R8 on! :D Signed: Your wife

·
Registered
131 Posts
My "heavy" SL63 AMG will beat your R8 easily! You just wait and see. My car's race-start function will leave you crying in the dust! I can't wait to take your R8 on! :D Signed: Your wife
They had one of those at the grand prix this weekend, looks and sounds badass!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SLR8 - you're challenging me in front of all these manly men. Well your on !(if I did not accept then the boys would kick me off the forum).

My R8 was just delivered moments ago but sh*t - the ground clearance is so low it cannot clear the arch in my driveway. I need to get the diamond saw cutters out and cut my driveway down. Extremely Frustrating. I ended up taking my brand new R8 directly to executive car storage. All the teenagers at the car storage place came out and took pictures of the car. They can now enjoy it while I sit at home consoling myself by reading through the owners manual.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I wanted a 911 since i was 12 as it was the purest sports car you could buy without spending a fortune. I think now the R8 has taken that spot plus there is a 911 on every street corner so im tired of seeing them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok here is a summary of the comments provided so far

I bought an R8 because:

-It’s a beautiful and unique looking car (rules out BMW M series and 911’s)
-It’s reliable with good dealer/service network (rules out Lambo, Ferrari)
-Great performance and handling for both road and track
-Super car looks and performance at a reasonable price (rules out Lambo, Ferrari)

The number one considered alternative to the R8 was the 911 997TT. The R8 beat out the 911 because of its looks and the handling (awd etc).

I wonder why good looking refined cars from Maserati or Aston Marton were not also seriously considered? They make some nice looking cars and it would be interesting to hear why they were selected.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I considered a db9 but fancied a sportscar ahead of another gt and the awd on the r8 combined with greater power nudged out the vantage. Still love the sound from the vantage though - glorious :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Did not consider a Maserati because it is ugly and unreliable. Did not consider an Aston because it is unreliable. Reliability and up time are very important to me after all I wouldn't want to pay for something that is going to be in the shop all or some of the time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
90% because there aren't too many around, especially in L.A. I wasn't too excited about the numbers before buying it. 317 lb-ft of torque wasn't the purchasing factor for me, and I can't feel that "PUSH" (bz888 had a post about this before).

The 997TT to me was all about the performance (function).
The R8 to me was about exclusivity (form).

Some people say that form follows function, some people say function follows form.

Neither are wrong.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When I first saw the car on the WEB or Magazines ,I felt in Love.
The R8 become a dream car to me. A couple of months ago it wasn't even remote I'm my head that I could get one, I had an M3 CS at that time and I loved it. (I track my cars at least once a month.)
Now I have it and I use it for dalying driving and track days.
My only concern is that is going to take some time before more companies start making upgrades. Also because is an "exotique car" , they charge you a lot for anything. (PPI is asking like 600 dollars for the air filters that go into the airbox):eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts