Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
For the pre-facelift cars, the V8 had 3 fins while the V10 had 2 fins. For the facelift, both the V8 and V10 had 3 fins. Likewise, on the BACK, things also differed. The pre-facelift V8 had 4 fins, while the pre-facelift V10 had 2. On the facelift, both V8 and V10 had 3 fins.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
I've always liked the V10 pre-FL best on the front and the rear.

I never have liked the front fins over the paint look of the pre-FL V8.

Also the FL V10 front where it moved to 3 fins, evens out the lines so they are symmetrical with grille. It takes the whole face of car and makes it sweep from one side to the next. Where the Pre-FL grille is a different design completely, and breaks up the center of the car. That coupled with the more openness of the fins lends itself to look more aggressive IMO.

But everyone has their likes and dislikes. It's all just opinion.

It's also why I like the GT rear so much.
Pre-FL fins, lights (albeit clear), and FL round exhaust. It's the only car that meshes both together.

The V8 rear, whew, it's busy.
The FL V8 rear at least has the same round exhaust as V10, so it looks better.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
V10 Pre-FL

V10 FL

V8 Pre-FL

V8 FL

Personal opinion but I think the V10 Pre-FL looks better. And the V8 FL looks better.

Reactions: InfraredGradient

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In my opinion, V10 Pre-FL looks the best (the 2 fins in the front). If that can be plopped onto a pre-FL V8, I'd like to buy some! Anybody here sell them? (I have a pre-FL V8.)

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
It's a good point that @ThunderDent makes regarding the fins going "into the paint" vs. a black surround. On both the front and back of the pre-facelift V8, the bodywork is the same color as the car where the fins connect vs. black on all other versions. I'm actually partial to this look, though, especially in the rear where the entire middle is black on the V10s. It definitely makes for a bigger statement - but it's also not as clean.

I'm also a fan of the 4 fins on the pre-facelift V8 rear. Is it more busy? Yes. But it's also somehow more interesting to me. I guess growing up in the 80's, the whole idea of "strakes" in car design was programmed into us! As far as the most aggressive? I think I'd agree with @ThunderDent that it's the pre-facelift V10 with two fins and more of a "gaping" look.

Cleaner and more futuristic looking, perhaps:

Sky Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

More aggressive:

Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Tire

Perhaps a blend of both on the FL:

Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Tire Grille Vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
Reactions: ThunderDent
1 - 13 of 13 Posts